Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi's Spanish jail sentence for tax fraud to stand

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A 21-month jail term handed down last year to Barcelona and Argentina footballer Lionel Messi has been confirmed by Spain's Supreme Court, but he is unlikely to go to prison.

Messi and his father Jorge, who manages his finances, were both convicted in 2016 of defrauding Spain of €4.1m (£3.5m; $4.6m) in taxes.

Jorge Messi's jail term was reduced because he paid some of the taxes.

In Spain, prison terms of under two years can be served under probation.
The case will now return to the court in Barcelona that handed down the original judgement.

Lionel Messi, a five-time world footballer of the year, has denied any involvement and told his trial in June 2016: "I only worried about playing football."

But in its decision on Wednesday, the court said: "It defies logic to concede that someone who earns a large income does not know that he must pay taxes on it."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The defence that Messi didn't realise he had to pay tax on his earnings re-defines the level of intelligence (low to very low) normally attributed to footballers,

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I live in Spain, am self-employed, and even though I don't earn much, I still pay someone else to do my taxes, it's a right ****ing ball-ache, and pretty easy to make mistakes.

Does anyone seriously think that Messi was coming home from training/matches and sitting down to fill out tax returns, falsify transactions and scheme ways to scam the system? Really?

He's been landed in the shit by the greedy barstard taking care of it for him... his dad, no?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Oh could you imagine if he got sent down...

Prison Governor : "We've got some football match against Los Lockamup Prison next week. Can you get a team together?"

Guard : "Hell yes..."

SAC

May 21, 2014
I live in Spain, am self-employed, and even though I don't earn much, I still pay someone else to do my taxes, it's a right ****ing ball-ache, and pretty easy to make mistakes.

Does anyone seriously think that Messi was coming home from training/matches and sitting down to fill out tax returns, falsify transactions and scheme ways to scam the system? Really?

He's been landed in the shit by the greedy barstard taking care of it for him... his dad, no?

You are responsible for your taxes, whoever you get to do them on your behalf. He only has himself to blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here