Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ripping Shots at the Dyke Road

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Called "The Albion" from the debut game.

https://twitter.com/shorehamfc/status/814411002716549120

C01eeCSWQAAt9xU.jpg

D

Deleted User X18H

Interesting. Although the thread title originally alarmed me.
I believe the pitch could have been top of Woodruff Avenue. Not necessarily where Dyke Road Park is now.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
From Tim Carder's book:

"Because of the unavailability of the County Ground - Prince Ranjitsinhji and CB Fry were still occupying the crease, as indeed they had for most of the summer - the Albion's opening fixture was played at Dyke Road Field on 7 September 1901, a friendly with a strengthened Shoreham side from the West Sussex Senior League. The pitch was of small dimensions rather restrictive to the play, but a large crowd assembled to see Barker and McEvoy score the club's first goals."

theboybilly

A little off topic but this match was played less than 20 years after the Football League was formed. From what I have read there were very few odd scorelines (such as 9-0s or 6-5s) so the standard and competitiveness must've been of a high order even then. But where did it come from? Where was the grass roots football that got those 12 clubs in the Midlands and North to band together and form a professional league? I remember running a Sunday League side 30 years ago and it must've been very similar but the Football League then (the 1880s) was exceptionally well organised. All the teams, scorers, half-time scores and even the majority of attendances were recorded. I love all that. But what went before and why did the south of the country take so long to get involved?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here