Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toughest championship ever next season?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I know it's not our problem any more (at least for one season) but surely it's going to be the hardest its ever been to win promotion from the championship next year?

Looking at it, I think all these teams would EXPECT (rightly or wrongly) to be getting promoted..

Aston Villa
Norwich
Derby
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:
Leeds
Fulham
Huddersfield/Reading

Then you've got the teams with big resources behind them (supposedly)

Wolves
Birmingham

And the more maverick teams (like Warnock's Cardiff, Preston or Sheffield United) - there's always one dark horse sneaks into the play-offs.

Looking at the line-up, I am so thankful we made it out this year.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OP, you are correct.

As Brian Horton recently said that our promotion this season was far harder to achieve than the 1979 promotion, and the trend is for it to get harder.

Leicester, QPR and Bournemouth all cheated in breach of FFP to get to the PL, abandoning fair play in the mad dash for the riches, and I foresee clubs like Villa doing that next season.

Not just the money, bloody hard to get results when away in front of big crowds. More bad away days this season just gone than good, with nil points picked up at Leeds, Norwich, Forest, Newcastle and Huddersfield. Add Sheffield Utd, Bolton, Sunderland, Hull and Boro, crikey it will be hard to get away points next season for clubs playing by the rules in terms of playing budgets.

Glad to forget about all that for one season at least. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too many Northern teams in it for me, we're well out of it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Think next seasons going to be hard in the championship? What about the year after when even if Chelsea have been relegated following an eight month bout of gastroenteritis for the entire squad they will still only be playing for second place?
Yes I have heard on good authority that will be the year the greatest fans in the world who follow the only truly big club on the south coast will be cruising to the champion title as they cement their rightful return to the premier league.

#twats #uttertwats #ihatethosetwats

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No way. Newcastle & Villa being relegated last season made it the most competitive championship ever. I think the teams going up and better than those getting relegated, therefore next season isn't as tough as this one was

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
No way. Newcastle & Villa being relegated last season made it the most competitive championship ever. I think the teams going up and better than those getting relegated, therefore next season isn't as tough as this one was

This. Think it will be the crappiest Championship since before we joined it. Sunderland will do a Villa at best, Boro and Hull under invested in PL and no sign they will change next season. Loser of PO will probably drop backwards, SW standing still, will probably lose Forestieri, and think Carvalhal will be on bike. Fulham will possibly lose Sessegnon, Malone and Cairney.

Really cannot see where it will come from: Norwich could do it if they tighten defence, not sure about Villa, seem to invested in sicknotes.

Oh, to be back in the Championship.....

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
This is what it must feel like to be supporting a Premier League side and looking down at the Championship. It just looks like something you want to avoid completely.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Championship has always been tough, with any of about 16/17 sides starting the season thinking they are good for play offs or better. Only likely to get tougher as more money flows in.

It's why I wonder at some comments I've seen saying it wouldn't be bad to be a "yo yo" club.

Although it's arguable I can understand the reasoning of one commentator who said it's easier to stay in the Prem than to get in to it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here