Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Prog Rock Band and album

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, the genre so despised by punks so probably a fair proportion of NSC :smile:

Anyway I will plump for Peter Gabriel's Genesis and particularly the fantastic Sellimg England by the Pound which still sounds as good today as it did in 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rn9tzirks4

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Dark Side of the Moon

I'll second. Perhaps the most obvious, but it is still the most bloody awesome album to listen to. Got to say, also love The Wall. I think I've come to understand that differently with age.

2 votes for the 1972 Medicine Head album as opposed to the brilliant THE Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd released in 1973. :lolol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

theroyal

May 11, 2014
A Trick of the Tail, for me. Closely followed by Wind and Wuthering.

I adore Genesis including their work with Gabriel but there's something about those 2-3 albums with Collins before they turned the pop corner* that are magical, especially the ones with Hackett.

*Duke is a good album however.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Michael Quatro In collaboration with the Gods. Although several of the above are well up there in my list

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Track would be A Fair Judgement from the Deliverance album by Opeth

Album would be Blackwater Park by Opeth

Prog Rock fused with Metal. :rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
(As per the first word of your post): Yes : "Close to the Edge"

https://youtu.be/GNkWac-Nm0A

I loved all their album sleeves but for whatever reason musically I just found them TOO self indulgent and I wasn't a fan of Jon Anderson's voice (I'll make an exception for Owner of a Lonely heart though). I know they are probably recognised as the definitive Prog rock band though.

I also have a soft spot for the Court of the Crimson King, again a fantastic album sleeve too.

Pink Floyd until the Wall are quite possibly my all time favourite band and I have heard those early albums so often that I don't even think of them as Prog Rock, schoolboy error there.

Uriah Heap or Caravan anyone?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Oi - the mighty King Crimson did that it 1969!

Blimey I didn't know it was a competition. :lolol:

While similar in places (and an obvious influence on them) I think you'd find Opeth rather different to King Crimson to be fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here