Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC4 10pm Arena. American Epic. Exploring roots music in the US

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It appears that the x factor audition process isn't such a new phenomenom after all. As we saw a lot of the early american music pioneers such as The Carter Family and Jimmy Rogers went through a similar process before they got their record deals. Great clips of the Memphis Jug Band. Also just found out that Charlie Musselwhite the white protege of Will Shade who was interviewed was the harmonica player on Suicide Blonde by INXS.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It appears that the x factor audition process isn't such a new phenomenom after all. As we saw a lot of the early american music pioneers such as The Carter Family and Jimmy Rogers went through a similar process before they got their record deals. Great clips of the Memphis Jug Band. Also just found out that Charlie Musselwhite the white protege of Will Shade who was interviewed was the harmonica player on Suicide Blonde by INXS.

Charlie is one of my musical idols. He's played with everyone from the great Chigago Bluesmen of the 60's to Cyndi Lauper - as well as nearly drinking himself to death inbetween.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
A lot of these performers sank back into obscurity once they'd cut those first records which is what happened to one of my favourites Mississippi John Hurt. He made some recordings in 1928 which weren't commercially successful and he went back to working as a farm hand all his life until he was tracked down by a blues enthusiast in 1963 by which time he was 70 years old. He spent the last three years of his life doing the folk circuit until his death in 1966 finally achieving the recognition he deserved. Here's some rare footage of him on the Pete Seeger show.
https://youtu.be/qWMqoSkzl4g

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One has to wonder about any black American death in 1966 in Mississippi.

His annunciation is remarkable for a man of that time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Caught up with this last night. What a great programme ... and 15 more to come. Loved the rapper reworking the Memphis Jug Band but there were so many treats. It's like a televisual version of the Peter Guralnick books

Looking forward to next week on Charley Patton, Son House and some footage of the Wolf.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Caught up with this last night. What a great programme ... and 15 more to come. Loved the rapper reworking the Memphis Jug Band but there were so many treats.

Sorry to disappoint you but it's only a three part series from what I can see.
The rapper (Nas) drew interesting parallels between the themes of the songs of the Jug Band of nearly 100 years ago are exactly the same of those covered by rappers today, drugs, violence, shootings, sex, women, protecting your honour...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry to disappoint you but it's only a three part series from what I can see.

That's disappointing. When I watched it on catch-up, it said 15 more episodes. Thought it was too good to be true

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll give this a watch. I'm not particularly a fan of roots music but BBC do brilliant music documentaries which are usually pitched at the music fan who wants an insight into other genres.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very interesting. Like when Cash introduces the Carter family in the '70s. Good look at American musical history.

Watched episode 1 on iPlayer yesterday - superb and can't wait to watch the second "blues" one tonight. Loved the clip of Brian Jones introducing Howlin' Wolf

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here