Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone use an Oyster Card?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Been trying to work out the cheapest way to get to my new job, and the TFL website is as good as useless trying to work fares out.

My new office is in Croydon, and I get the train from Brighton to East Croydon, then one bus journey to the office, and the reverse back home.

So would I be best off getting a zone 5&6 travel card which includes the bus journey, or just an East Croydon ticket then use Oyster for the bus journey to and from the office and East Croydon station?

Monthly EC ticket is £269.20, monthly zone 5&6 travel card is £331.80 I don't want to limit myself by getting a ThamesLink only ticket.

So will an Oyster be less than £62.60 per month to make 2 bus journeys, 5 days a week?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My debit card not contactless

Surprisingly many debit cards are not contactless but you could ask your bank for a replacement

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I think instead of oyster card you can use a touchless bank or credit card.

This is what I do now. My Oyster card was unfairly charged £10 because a set of exit barriers was opened and I didn't know you had to still "touch out" regardless. My Oyster balance is about £5 in the red and I can't appeal the charge so I thought screw 'em, I'll just use my bank card from now on.

EDIT: I'm not that tight and petty normally, but it's the principle dammit!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is what I do now. My Oyster card was unfairly charged £10 because a set of exit barriers was opened and I didn't know you had to still "touch out" regardless. My Oyster balance is about £5 in the red and I can't appeal the charge so I thought screw 'em, I'll just use my bank card from now on.

EDIT: I'm not that tight and petty normally, but it's the principle dammit!

You can successfully appeal the charge if you can provide the journey details. Not sure if there is a time period but I have got money back on the card.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you use 2 buses within an hour you only get charged for one journey. Someone on here told me about getting a contactless card for getting around London and it's been a game changer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here