Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Rhodes

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
On the subject of the supposed refusal to take a penalty yesterday.

Total bottler or, more concerningly, a Huddersfield sympathiser and not wanting to destroy his cult (yes, that's not a typo) status against a former club. Just a personal theory. I'd be really put out if one of our players did something similar.

Thoughts?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hadn't even thought about his Huddersfield links.

I think he did the right thing. If you're not feeling mentally right and confident about scoring, you're highly unlikely too. I think it's a bit unfair the stick he's getting as was the stick players like Ince got at Euro 96.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I'm not so sure about that, it's been a while since he's left Hudds, and holding that kind of moral position would lead to untold abuse from his current club. I'd say it's just unbelievably flakey behaviour from someone who in the summer will become their record signing. Rhodes hasn't really been the same since Boro splashed out on him and Karanka nearly left because he didn't want him. If I were a Wednesday-ite, I'd be quite worried about the flop potential with Rhodes, given the fee and wages. Shame.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apparently Rhodes has taken 19 penalties in his career, scoring 15 and missing 4; 1 of the misses was against us for Hudds, and specifically Graeme Smith.

He also scored for Blackburn vs BHAFC (Tomasz Kuszczak)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Five players said they wanted to take them. They are also footballers who can kick a ball well.

It's a no brainer. Let the 5 confident ones take them.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He's a forward. It's literally his job to find the back of the net. He should take a penalty. If he can't handle the pressure he's in the wrong job.

Andy Cole, one of the best goalscorers the Premier League has seen, took one penalty in his premier league career. He did OK.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Oddly, not all strikers like taking pens.

His record isn't the best and he was shite when came on, more likely low on confidence

I agree, except in the shootout scenario. Almost everyone will be touching cloth. I wonder what would have happened if 9 of the 11 players said, "actually, you know what? I don't fancy missing so I'd rather not take one".

Surely the beauty of the penalty shoot out is the lottery of it (or being able to put it in the top corner)! Step up and show your stones.

Edit : I guess he would have had to take one if it went through all of the squad on the night, right? That can't be avoided can it, unless feigning injury or something?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree, except in the shootout scenario. Almost everyone will be touching cloth. I wonder what would have happened if 9 of the 11 players said, "actually, you know what? I don't fancy missing so I'd rather not take one".

Surely the beauty of the penalty shoot out is the lottery of it (or being able to put it in the top corner)! Step up and show your stones.

I'm convinced I've watched shoot outs where no one wanted to take - one of the England shoot outs against Portugal we had a bunch of defenders taking.

Also we don't know if they had trained for them and he was the worst out of the lot!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I seem to recall Crouch being pretty shite at pens?

I suppose the logic is, many strikers 'qualities' rely on their goalscoring instinct. You often see players completely LOSE IT when they have time to think yet they can score when they have to just react.

The penalty is the ultimate in having time to think about it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I suppose the logic is, many strikers 'qualities' rely on their goalscoring instinct. You often see players completely LOSE IT when they have time to think yet they can score when they have to just react.

The penalty is the ultimate in having time to think about it.

On the flip side, players who are bloody atrocious in front of goal can be great penalty takers. See: John Piercy

It's all about the mentality.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think the flack he is getting is all about money rather than balls. If we had signed a striker for £10,000,000 (Almost double MASSIVE's previous record fee), who was being paid a solid £60,000 pw, and it came to the crunch moment of the season and he decided that he didn't feel confident enough to step up, I doubt he'd be forgiven quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here