Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF Quiz Night 2017 - the Questions

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No Googling...

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE

1. What colour is Coventry Street on a Monopoly board?

2. Which Canadian city gives its name to an Army barracks in Dyke Road, Brighton?

3. Who is the White House Press Secretary and Director of Communications under Donald Trump?

4. Which railway station is located on the line between Lewes and Newhaven?

5. Who succeeded Neil Kinnock as leader of the Labour Party?

6. What is the name of the actor who plays Mrs Brown in Mrs Brown’s Boys?

7. Which British singer’s (1939-99) real name was Mary O’Brien?

8. Which two European capital cities are located closest to each other?

9. What name is given to words with the same spellings but different meanings?

10. Who has written novels entitled ‘High Fidelity’, ‘About a Boy’ and ‘A Long Way Down’?

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
1) Yellow
4) Southease
6) Brendan O'Carroll

Only ones I know off the top of my head, could guess at a few others. Not the greatest when it comes to quizzes :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No Googling...

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE

1. What colour is Coventry Street on a Monopoly board?

Yellow

2. Which Canadian city gives its name to an Army barracks in Dyke Road, Brighton?

Quebec

3. Who is the White House Press Secretary and Director of Communications under Donald Trump?

Spicer?

4. Which railway station is located on the line between Lewes and Newhaven?

No idea

5. Who succeeded Neil Kinnock as leader of the Labour Party?

John Smith

6. What is the name of the actor who plays Mrs Brown in Mrs Brown’s Boys?

Unfunny B'staard

7. Which British singer’s (1939-99) real name was Mary O’Brien?

Dusty Springfield

8. Which two European capital cities are located closest to each other?

No idea. Brussels and Luxembourg City??

Homonyms

10. Who has written novels entitled ‘High Fidelity’, ‘About a Boy’ and ‘A Long Way Down’?

Nick Hornby

:thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
no googling...

general knowledge

1. What colour is coventry street on a monopoly board?
Yellow

2. Which canadian city gives its name to an army barracks in dyke road, brighton?
No idea
3. Who is the white house press secretary and director of communications under donald trump?
No idea
4. Which railway station is located on the line between lewes and newhaven?
Bishops something or other?
5. Who succeeded neil kinnock as leader of the labour party?
John smith
6. What is the name of the actor who plays mrs brown in mrs brown’s boys?
No idea
7. Which british singer’s (1939-99) real name was mary o’brien?
Dusty springfield
8. Which two european capital cities are located closest to each other?
Dunno
Can't remember
10. Who has written novels entitled ‘high fidelity’, ‘about a boy’ and ‘a long way down’?
can't remember mr burchill?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
really? why not?

Pretty much every episode they define country as "and by country we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right", so as the Vatican is not a member of the UN it does not meet their definition.

I don't know what definition they used, if any, for this quiz as I didn't go, so Vatican/Rome might have been the answer they were after, but I suspect not.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was parked outside the army barracks yesterday and thought to myself "that's a city in Cananda". God knows what it was though.
Just googled the cities, forget it you'll never guess. In fact I've never heard of them!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I heard on the radio that Sean Spicer will be out of a job. Spicer and Lizzie Loudon are forming a new company that makes tight under garments called "Press Briefings."

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
really? why not?

In addition to the member states, there are two non-member permanent observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine.[55]

The Holy See holds sovereignty over the state of Vatican City and maintains diplomatic relations with 180 other states. It has been an observer state since 6 April 1964,[56] and gained all the rights of full membership except voting on 1 July 2004.[57]

The Palestine Liberation Organization was granted observer status as a "non-member entity" on 22 November 1974.[58] Acknowledging the proclamation of the State of Palestine by the Palestine National Council on 15 November 1988, the United Nations General Assembly decided that, effective as of 15 December 1988, the designation "Palestine" should be used in place of the designation "Palestine Liberation Organization" in the United Nations System.[59] On 23 September 2011, Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas submitted the application for UN membership for the State of Palestine to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon;[60][61] the application has not been voted on by the UN Security Council. On 31 October 2011, the General Assembly of UNESCO voted to admit Palestine as a member, becoming the first UN agency to admit Palestine as a full member.[62] The State of Palestine was recognized as a "non-member state" on 29 November 2012, when the UN General Assembly passed United Nations General Assembly resolution 67/19 by a vote of 138 to 9, with 41 abstentions.[63][64][65] The change in status was described by The Independent as "de facto recognition of the sovereign state of Palestine".[66] On 17 December 2012, UN Chief of Protocol Yeocheol Yoon decided that "the designation of 'State of Palestine' shall be used by the Secretariat in all official United Nations documents".[55]

A number of states were also granted observer status before being admitted to the UN as full members (see United Nations General Assembly observers for the full list).[67][68][69] The most recent case of an observer state becoming a member state was Switzerland, which was admitted in 2002.[70]

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
In addition to the member states, there are two non-member permanent observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine.[55]

The Holy See holds sovereignty over the state of Vatican City and maintains diplomatic relations with 180 other states. It has been an observer state since 6 April 1964,[56] and gained all the rights of full membership except voting on 1 July 2004.[57]

The Palestine Liberation Organization was granted observer status as a "non-member entity" on 22 November 1974.[58] Acknowledging the proclamation of the State of Palestine by the Palestine National Council on 15 November 1988, the United Nations General Assembly decided that, effective as of 15 December 1988, the designation "Palestine" should be used in place of the designation "Palestine Liberation Organization" in the United Nations System.[59] On 23 September 2011, Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas submitted the application for UN membership for the State of Palestine to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon;[60][61] the application has not been voted on by the UN Security Council. On 31 October 2011, the General Assembly of UNESCO voted to admit Palestine as a member, becoming the first UN agency to admit Palestine as a full member.[62] The State of Palestine was recognized as a "non-member state" on 29 November 2012, when the UN General Assembly passed United Nations General Assembly resolution 67/19 by a vote of 138 to 9, with 41 abstentions.[63][64][65] The change in status was described by The Independent as "de facto recognition of the sovereign state of Palestine".[66] On 17 December 2012, UN Chief of Protocol Yeocheol Yoon decided that "the designation of 'State of Palestine' shall be used by the Secretariat in all official United Nations documents".[55]

A number of states were also granted observer status before being admitted to the UN as full members (see United Nations General Assembly observers for the full list).[67][68][69] The most recent case of an observer state becoming a member state was Switzerland, which was admitted in 2002.[70]

it's just a quiz! :mad:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Quizzes need correct answers! :down:

When I asked the question at the quiz night, I did actually ask 'not counting the Vatican and Rome'. Some people - they know who they are - are quite pedantic, you know...

ANSWERS

1. What colour is Coventry Street on a Monopoly board? Yellow

2. Which Canadian city gives its name to an Army barracks in Dyke Road, Brighton? Quebec

3. Who is the White House Press Secretary and Director of Communications under Donald Trump? Sean Spicer

4. Which railway station is located on the line between Lewes and Newhaven? Southease

5. Who succeeded Neil Kinnock as leader of the Labour Party? John Smith

6. What is the name of the actor who plays Mrs Brown in Mrs Brown’s Boys? Brendan O'Carroll

7. Which British singer’s (1939-99) real name was Mary O’Brien? Dusty Springfield

8. Which two European capital cities are located closest to each other? Vienna / Bratislava

9. What name is given to words with the same spellings but different meanings? Homonyms

10. Who has written novels entitled ‘High Fidelity’, ‘About a Boy’ and ‘A Long Way Down’? Nick Hornby

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
NETHERLANDS

1. Who, in the Netherlands, is Willem Alexander?

2. What is the capital city of the Netherlands?

3. Who is the Prime Minsiter of the Netherlands?

4. Which four letters (in the right order) are the initials of the Dutch FA?

5. Which then Amsterdam-based brewery produced its first lager beer in 1873, nine years after acquiring the then 400 year old (de Hooiberg) Haystack Brewery?

6. Which city in the Netherlands gave its name to one of the Manhattan neighbourhoods in New York City?

7. Which Dutch mother-of-two, nicknamed ‘The Flying Housewife’ won four gold medals at the London Olympics of 1948; - and 50 years later winning the IAAF ‘Female Athlete of the Century Award in 1999?

8. Which state left the United Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1830 to form its own country?

9. What was the currency of the Netherlands immediately before the Euro was adopted?

10. The Treaty of Westphalia (1648) granted the Netherlands independence from which country?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here