Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trevor Arms, Glynde

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Does anyone know if this pub is closed for refurbishment or has it shut permanantly? Thanks.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Shame if it's gone forever, lovely pub.

Last edited:

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Shut, possibly permanent. I understand struggling to find willing buyer/leaseholder.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If it's gone then it's a real shame. Brian Taylor was the landlord for many years. Always ran a decent pub with food at very reasonable prices. A regular Saturday fixture after cricket locally.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Went past the Rose Cottage Inn in Alciston. Closed on July 1. Another lovely pub gone.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Went past the Rose Cottage Inn in Alciston. Closed on July 1. Another lovely pub gone.

I agree.

Only went in once with my then girlfriend who as a child lived in the village as her dad was a local farm manager.

Bombardier

NSC Patreon
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Drove past it today on the way home. Very sad and could be such a decent stop off. Given it is so close to a station that you could even make it work for Albion match days alone but hey, what do I know??

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Given it is so close to a station that you could even make it work for Albion match days alone but hey, what do I know??

Blimey, if the owners couldn't make the Hikers work - even with Albion match days - I'm not sure other pubs couldn't rely on football trade.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Opened this thread to see transfer news about the player Trevor Arms I have never heard about from the club Glynde I have never heard about. Seemed legit singing with multiple sauces confirming it...

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I would imagine the building itself its owned by the Glynde Estate? If so maybe it's just a case of finding a new tenant who can work on some newly agreed terms.

I would have thought a place like Glynde, with the railway station, proximity to road links, cricket club etc ought to be able to sustain a quality pub along the lines of the Ram at Firle.

Must admit the times I've been there in the past I thought it was a bit underwhelming but maybe that's because I tend to think of pubs these days as somewhere to head to with the family for a meal, rather than a place to stand up and sink a few pints. Though the Ram covers both bases I think.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I would imagine the building itself its owned by the Glynde Estate? If so maybe it's just a case of finding a new tenant who can work on some newly agreed terms.

I would have thought a place like Glynde, with the railway station, proximity to road links, cricket club etc ought to be able to sustain a quality pub along the lines of the Ram at Firle.

Must admit the times I've been there in the past I thought it was a bit underwhelming but maybe that's because I tend to think of pubs these days as somewhere to head to with the family for a meal, rather than a place to stand up and sink a few pints. Though the Ram covers both bases I think.

The Ram is a little dated and over priced for what it is there but they are generally busy especially through the summer. Obviously a look of walkers who head onto the downs, campsite near by and some decent local trade and also runs as a B&B.
The Trevor is owned by the estate. The lady that leases the ram tried and failed with it as have a couple of others. Problem it was never friendly in their previously and was used just for local drinkers. There was no real food and wasn't family friendly. Personally I used to enjoy a pint in there and it's a shame another local pub seems to of gone.
It looks like at the moment it is still available for someone to lease but currently doesn't look like there are any takers

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The Ram is a little dated and over priced for what it is there but they are generally busy especially through the summer. Obviously a look of walkers who head onto the downs, campsite near by and some decent local trade and also runs as a B&B.
The Trevor is owned by the estate. The lady that leases the ram tried and failed with it as have a couple of others. Problem it was never friendly in their previously and was used just for local drinkers. There was no real food and wasn't family friendly. Personally I used to enjoy a pint in there and it's a shame another local pub seems to of gone.
It looks like at the moment it is still available for someone to lease but currently doesn't look like there are any takers

Interesting, thanks for the update.

I reckon there must be someone out there who would look at the Trevor as a big money-making opportunity, even if they alienate a few locals and turn it into a proper gastropub. Glynde is hardly a backwater these days and the hordes that pass through for Glyndebourne and Love Supreme fall in love with the place when they visit. Maybe it could be the Ginger Trevor?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Interesting, thanks for the update.

I reckon there must be someone out there who would look at the Trevor as a big money-making opportunity, even if they alienate a few locals and turn it into a proper gastropub. Glynde is hardly a backwater these days and the hordes that pass through for Glyndebourne and Love Supreme fall in love with the place when they visit. Maybe it could be the Ginger Trevor?

I've looked inside since as I have friends in the trade that were interested. Needs a fair bit of updating but it could be a brilliant pub with the right hands in charge. There is certainly room upstairs as well to make a B&B.
The village has a lot going for it. Cricket pitch is right next door, lovely park there as well with an out door pool in the summerr. Trainline just a minutes walk from the pub which has free parking as well as a car park just up the road, new offices just been built down the road,, Glynebourne as you say, love supreme, sure Albion match days could drum up a few people for it and it's easily accessible from A27.
I'm not sure what the lease hold terms are for it but I reckon they have to be negotiable the longer it remains empty.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Look at these posts. Been there once, lovely place. Stopped off once and loved it.
Went to the Juggs in Kingston last week for a lunch time snack. Great pub and well served ales. But at £10 to £15 for a meal (very nice mind) the days of cheap pub grub are gone.

The problem at the Trevor is that it needs major expenditure to deal with the structural issues that are making the building dangerous. The owner (the Glynde Estate) wants the tenant to pay for these. But since the long-term benefit of the investment accrues to the owner, it's not an attractive deal for a new tenant to take on.

A few years ago, the Ram was in a similar situation, but it was the owner (the Firle Estate) that took on the responsibility for funding the repair works. The pub closed while these works were done, and a new tenant was found one the work was finished.

Two contrasting ways of running what outsiders often describe as "feudal" communities.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Used to love being taken there as a kid. Fantastic old school country pub.

Took the missus there last summer for some lunch and was very dissapointed. The refurb had taken away all of the old charm it had. The staff were all gourmless posh wannabe trendies and the customers seemed to be divvy upper class couples that had kids called Hugo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here