Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 'Red Bulls' in Champs League - how will UEFA spin this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Red Bull Salzburg sealed their fourth consecutive Austrian Bundesliga title, meaning Uefa will need to make a decision in June on whether RB Leipzig can enter the Champions League.

Uefa rules prohibit clubs with strong links from being in European competition in the same season.

If Uefa rules that only one can enter, Salzburg will be given the place as the higher-finishing team in their league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39908923

Having both teams in next season's Champions League is clearly in breach of Uefa Article 5 - Integrity of the competition, yet we all know they'll both be allowed to play.

What's the most likely justification?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I gave up reading that after reading Uefa and Integrity in the same sentence.

Anyway, They are two different teams in two different countries, with different players, fans etc. The sponsor name in the team name never stopped Bayer Leverkusen being allowed to play, why should it affect the RB sides?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Anyway, They are two different teams in two different countries, with different players, fans etc. The sponsor name in the team name never stopped Bayer Leverkusen being allowed to play, why should it affect the RB sides?

Or PSV. Leipzig technically don't have Red Bull in their name either.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If they can 'wing' it in F1 I'm sure they'll have enough cash to deem it appropriate in UEFAs rules.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
There's a good chance that Salzburg might not make it to the group stage of the CL, as they'd need to go through knockout qualification first. Assuming they did get that far, I'd assume they would need to do something similar to the Euro's qualification where they kept Spain and Gibraltar apart - that way it only becomes a problem if both teams get to the final.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

The issue isn't around either team's individual link with the sponsor, its around the same sponsor owning both teams.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always found this an odd rule

It's understandable if one club has 5/6 players on loan from the other.
If you own both clubs:
1) What if they play each other and you work out that it's financially better for you for one specific team to progress?
2) What your two clubs are due to play the same opposition - do you get the first club to kick the shit out of the opposition to make way for your second club?

You can't have two clubs owned by the same company in the same competition.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you own both clubs:
1) What if they play each other and you work out that it's financially better for you for one specific team to progress?
2) What your two clubs are due to play the same opposition - do you get the first club to kick the shit out of the opposition to make way for your second club?

You can't have two clubs owned by the same company in the same competition.

It would be pretty obvious if either of those things happen, then action can be taken.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would be pretty obvious if either of those things happen, then action can be taken.
It wouldn't be obvious at all. If they play each other and one team has a player or two missing due to 'a knock', and one team seems to want it more on the day, what the hell can anyone do? That's just like a standard game of football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I (we) missed the open goal:-

[tweet]863717632020819972[/tweet]

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you own both clubs:

2) What if your two clubs are due to play the same opposition - do you get the first club to kick the shit out of the opposition to make way for your second club?

LOL !!

"Right lads, you know your jobs. Shin pads on your left, and on your right you'll find a 9mm Luger, with ammunition, and we've slipped a small knife in the back of your shorts if it gets messy and you need to finish the job neatly and quickly.

If you do need to make any tackles, anything above the waist is fine..."

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Doesn't Roman Abramovich have strong financial ties to a Moscow team that's appeared in the same CL group as Chelsea?

Abramovich sold his interest in the company that sponsored CSKA quite a few years ago, I think the new owners went on to end the sponsorship deal just after.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The issue isn't around either team's individual link with the sponsor, its around the same sponsor owning both teams.

Aren't Watford and an Italian team owned by the same person. Also, the bloke at Leeds, I thought he had links to a team in Italy too. The people/business that owns Man City are the same as those that own NY City too. Don't really see what the problem is, of course I can understand why you can't have two sides in the same league owned by the same person, but in different countries :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here