Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there been a Tom Cairney thread yet?

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Come on Reading FFS, get the job done Tuesday please! Then make him top priority signing along with a jolly good goal scorer!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
We have to improve in all areas. cairney is quality and would be an ideal signing. Not cheap admittedly, however no one will be now we are PL. ( does sound good that btw)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Would cost a ridiculous amount and not proven in the Prem. Don't get the fascination with him on here.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Would cost a ridiculous amount and not proven in the Prem. Don't get the fascination with him on here.

Admittedly would cost a lot but well worth it from what I've seen of him. In EFL team of the season for a reason and if others want to pay 12,13,14 he's hardly been having a bad season!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Agree on the Cairney front, too much $ however I've never really subscribed to the theory that you have to be 'proven in the Prem'. For example if we signed a talented striker from say Spain or Italy who has proven themselves in La Liga or Serie A then I think the majority on here would be delighted but the player would not be 'proven in the Prem'

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As TB and CH have said, no wholesale changes. Dale has signed, so the key will be a quick, young, hungry striker. TA possibly?

After we have a goalkeeper....

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Agree on the Cairney front, too much $ however I've never really subscribed to the theory that you have to be 'proven in the Prem'. For example if we signed a talented striker from say Spain or Italy who has proven themselves in La Liga or Serie A then I think the majority on here would be delighted but the player would not be 'proven in the Prem'

Proven at the 'top level' is a more apt description. Cairney for the 20 odd million he would cost is too much of a gamble.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nobody is proven before they get the chance to play.

Cairney is a Premier League player, so is Scott Malone. If we don't get them, someone else will and they'll thrive. If we don't get Malone, we should go after Andy Robertson. We can compete, there will be plenty of competition and options for him but he'd play every game here and that's got to mean something at a strong and stable club.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nobody is proven before they get the chance to play.

Cairney is a Premier League player, so is Scott Malone. If we don't get them, someone else will and they'll thrive. If we don't get Malone, we should go after Andy Robertson. We can compete, there will be plenty of competition and options for him but he'd play every game here and that's got to mean something at a strong and stable club.

I agree.
By watching players like Cairney and Abrahams the scouts and then Chris will know if he has got what it takes to make the step up.
If they are outstanding in The Championship then they should be good enough for The PL.
But having said that 1 or 2 players with a lot of PL experience would be really sensible, a good mix.
I have not studied each player but the 11 that Bournemouth started with today looked really good and they have a great young and hungry goal scorer in King and a PL keeper in Boric? the rest have no or little PL experience and they are 10th

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Burnley were prepared to go to 6/7 million for Dale - and I don't know that's the exact figures - then Cairney will be at least 10 mill plus I suspect. (the talk of 20 mill is ridiculous btw ) and just too much. We need to be shrewd and maybe look elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how our scouting network hopefully with Hughton on board 100% see the foreign markets.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I would have him top of my shopping list but then Oiver Norwood was in the EFL team of the season the year last season and has slotted into a squad role at one of our strongest positions. It's a squad game though and now we're up I an't see Towel breaking into our side (though he could be a solid pro)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here