Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
whats happening to civil liberties in 8 weeks? who and where is affected?

are you not finding your civil liberties a tad diminished already...? , nonsensical rulings on which retailers can open , how many people can do this or that .....?? and he'll be gone in 8 weeks , do you think things will be back to normal by then ...?? i doubt it . what you have at the moment is a ridiculous game of simon says with an absolute fool calling the shots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Donald doing his best to see off The Red Wave:-

[tweet]1332596478062317568[/tweet]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just saw that Trumpo has made $170m in donations from people who want to 'stop the steal'. However, as mentioned on here before, only a fraction of that will be used for that purpose and the rest of it ($150m, apparently) goes straight into the pockets of good old Donald.

What a guy!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just saw that Trumpo has made $170m in donations from people who want to 'stop the steal'. However, as mentioned on here before, only a fraction of that will be used for that purpose and the rest of it ($150m, apparently) goes straight into the pockets of good old Donald.

What a guy!
#StopTheStupid

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

What a guy!

Or, it would seem, some of that may be used to buy a pardon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Or, it would seem, some of that may be used to buy a pardon.

I think it's the other way round - there's suspicion that money has been funnelled into the WH to buy pardons - although at the moment it's only a suspicion.

But he's got a couple of months left to work out ways to keep the money flooding in

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I think it's the other way round - there's suspicion that money has been funnelled into the WH to buy pardons - although at the moment it's only a suspicion.

But he's got a couple of months left to work out ways to keep the money flooding in

That is what I meant. Some of that donated money may have been used 'buy' pardons. If, of course, the allegations are substantiated.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What I don't quite get is how he pardons people (Rudy, his family) when they haven't (AFAIK) been convicted of anything, let alone had any charges brought against them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine he’ll snuff it quite soon after leaving the White House.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
What I don't quite get is how he pardons people (Rudy, his family) when they haven't (AFAIK) been convicted of anything, let alone had any charges brought against them?

They're calling it a pre-emptive pardon. As you say they haven't been charged or convicted of anything, does this mean that they can now commit some crimes as they have been pre-pardoned.

Whatever is going on this whole business of pardoning cronies and buddies has to be reviewed and changed - and it's not just Trump - Clinton, Ford, Nixon etc. all used and abused the system

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

He hasn't yet. All the pardons he's given have been for people convicted of a crime. But he is talking about giving pardons to people for unspecified crimes.

It does sound bizarre but there is a precedent in the US: Ford gave Nixon a pardon before he'd even been charged for any crime, let alone convicted.

And, as has been pointed out on here, pardons are for federal crimes only, people can still be charged for felonies under state law

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He hasn't yet. All the pardons he's given have been for people convicted of a crime. But he is talking about giving pardons to people for unspecified crimes.

It does sound bizarre but there is a precedent in the US: Ford gave Nixon a pardon before he'd even been charged for any crime, let alone convicted.

And, as has been pointed out on here, pardons are for federal crimes only, people can still be charged for felonies under state law

Sorry - that's what I meant. I know he's already pardoned people who have served time/been convicted (nothing new there, I know that has been done by probably every president). What I thought was weird is that he's jumping straight to the pardon before anything to be pardoned for has even come to light (and then [MENTION=10885]Lyndhurst 14[/MENTION] clarified the situation). CLEARLY some dodgy stuff has gone on, which I guess we might or might not hear about in the near future.

On another Trump note, I read that he was apparently planning to announce his intention to run in 2024 on Inauguration Day and he won't be attending, nor will he invite Biden to the WH for the traditional handover. Knowing Trumpo, he's lying and when someone in the press brings it up he will claim it is 'fake news'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whatever is going on this whole business of pardoning cronies and buddies has to be reviewed and changed - and it's not just Trump - Clinton, Ford, Nixon etc. all used and abused the system

Neither Nixon nor Clinton pardoned people for crimes that had not yet been committed

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like he's doing nothing but harm to the Republicans' chances in the Senate run off, which is nice.

He's put McConnell in an absolutely impossible position at the moment, which is lovely to see.

They created this monster, it's now turning on them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't say they had. I said they used the system for their own convenience

No, but you were replying in response to a question about pre-emptive pardons.

As for Nixon, I'm not fully au fait with the people that he pardoned but I'm pretty sure that none of them were "buddies" of the president. In fact, many of Nixon's associates (whom he could have pardoned) went to chokey.

You're right about Clinton though, he did pardon a Democrat donor and his own brother so he did have some form

We talk about pardons but in most cases, these were acts of clemency - in other words, they were still guilty but had sentences reduced.

And you're right that many presidents abuse the system, most recent example being George Bush Senior's pardon of the main actors in the Iran/Contra scandal. But pre-emptive pardons seem to be breaking all the rules

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here