Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Park and ride

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
4 adults that I know were going shopping in Brighton and were going to use the P & R until they found out the price which is £4.20 per person total £16.80 if paid online but £20 if cash to the driver. That is outrageous and it is little wonder why people find it is cheaper and easier to park in the town car parks. I am sure that it was always a set price per car irrespective of occupants as in many other towns, so I am led to believe.

What price do people pay elsewhere?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The town car parks may be easier. Not convinced they would be cheaper though. Perhaps you could advise on comparative costs so we can make informed judgements

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Trouble is that this is no longer a true park and ride. It's a park and bus. I'm just waiting for the b*ggers to start charging for parking.
You're right, £16 quid in these circumstances is outrageous but because it's in a residential area it would be difficult to manage. Heaven forbid they trusted people to tell the truth. I've been to park and rides in Norwich and Canterbury - the council would do well to go to othe cities to learn to sort out our local transport problems.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Churchill Sq is £15.50 for 6 hours. Some years ago I worked in a village outside Ipswich abd parking in Ipswich was about £5 per hour to try to stop it. The park and ride was the same price per car as 1persons fare. As a result people from the outlying villages went in 1 car to the P & R taking it in turns to use their car.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is it really easier to park in car parks in the centre of Brighton?
I avoid the car parks behind Churchill Square and the Brighton Centre, it always seems to take ages to drive into central Brighton and queue up in these car parks.

Is £4.20 per person a return bus ticket or one way?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trouble is that this is no longer a true park and ride. It's a park and bus. I'm just waiting for the b*ggers to start charging for parking.
You're right, £16 quid in these circumstances is outrageous but because it's in a residential area it would be difficult to manage. Heaven forbid they trusted people to tell the truth. I've been to park and rides in Norwich and Canterbury - the council would do well to go to othe cities to learn to sort out our local transport problems.

Not really have a ticket entry for free parking to be produced at the pub, sports centre or bus.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it really easier to park in car parks in the centre of Brighton?
I avoid the car parks behind Churchill Square and the Brighton Centre, it always seems to take ages to drive into central Brighton and queue up in these car parks.

Is £4.20 per person a return bus ticket or one way?

Return if paid on the app.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not to bad then, if it saves the stress of sitting in the traffic for ages.
If I was going to Brighton city centre for most of the day I would pay £4.20 on the bus.

If it was just you yes I agree but if you had 5 seater with each taken by an adult would that then be VFM whuch is my whole point. The car park can accomodate X number of cars be they either with 1 person of 5 people in them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Churchill Sq is £15.50 for 6 hours. Some years ago I worked in a village outside Ipswich abd parking in Ipswich was about £5 per hour to try to stop it. The park and ride was the same price per car as 1persons fare. As a result people from the outlying villages went in 1 car to the P & R taking it in turns to use their car.

I can confirm, BY THE POWER OF MATHEMATICS that that is cheaper than £16.80.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If it was just you yes I agree but if you had 5 seater with each taken by an adult would that then be VFM

I'm not saying bus fares in Brighton are cheap but why should people getting free parking get reduced bus fares into the city? The standard all day saver which Withdean parkers buy is the same price for all adults in Brighton (except oap and disabled passes).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not saying bus fares in Brighton are cheap but why should people getting free parking get reduced bus fares into the city? The standard all day saver which Withdean parkers buy is the same price for all adults in Brighton (except oap and disabled passes).

Because the council want to keep cars out of the city centre and the P & R does not help as well as ii could with a little thought and re organisation.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
4 adults that I know were going shopping in Brighton and were going to use the P & R until they found out the price which is £4.20 per person total £16.80 if paid online but £20 if cash to the driver. That is outrageous and it is little wonder why people find it is cheaper and easier to park in the town car parks. I am sure that it was always a set price per car irrespective of occupants as in many other towns, so I am led to believe.

Consider shopping elsewhere?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can confirm, BY THE POWER OF MATHEMATICS that that is cheaper than £16.80.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

£15.50 plus the fuel used sat in traffic getting to the town centre car park (and out again) is almost certainly NOT cheaper than £16.80...

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Maybe park at the Marina and walk there and get bus back ? Probably cheaper ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I mentioned this to my son and daughter in law as they are going shopping in Brighton pre holiday next wek and as they said which is probably typical " we will drive and pay to park as we wont be in Churchill Sq for 4 hours

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here