Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS hospitals across England hit by large-scale cyber-attack

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"A number of hospitals have been hit by a large scale cyber attack, NHS England has confirmed.

Hospitals across the country appear to have been simultaneously hit by a bug in their IT systems, leading to many diverting emergency patients. NHS England said it was aware of the problem and would release more details soon.

Meanwhile doctors have been posting on Twitter about what has been happening to their systems.

A screen grab of a instant message conversation circulated by one doctor says: “So our hospital is down … We got a message saying your computers are now under their control and pay a certain amount of money. And now everything is gone.”

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
GPs are resorting to using pen and paper, according to newspaper the Blackpool Gazette, and phone and IT systems have been shut down.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
with the number of hospitals still using WinXP, even 2000 i've heard, hardly a surprise

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
ooops.jpeg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just hope nobody dies due to it, what kind of c**t does this ? Bet they blame ADHD or Aspergers when they're caught

Russians, Chinese, Koreans, ISIS and Kids looking for kicks. Today's world needs to be more analogue for its own good and stop this race to digitalise and automate because it's so easy to bring down an entire state with concerted efforts.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
with the number of hospitals still using WinXP, even 2000 i've heard, hardly a surprise

Indeed and there's never been a coherent IT policy across the whole of the NHS thanks to the petty politics the Trusts play.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Is that for real? Or just a frighten the less wary into paying the blackmail when really, anyone computer engineer worth their salt could recover.

They are for real.

If you get a cryptolocker virus I believe the police recommend that you pay the ransom if you want your files back. The timer wouldn't give you enough time to break the encryption even if you were a programming genius.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Also, some of the NHS IT people I've had to work with are absolute morons!

Wonder if it's ISIS or the pesky Russians. Might even be one of Corbyn's stooges trying to undermine the Tories before the election, the momentum cyber division.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Published before the NHS got attacked....

Worldwide outbreak of RansomWare

A ransomware outbreak is wreaking havoc all over the world, but especially in Spain, where Telefonica — one of the country's biggest telecommunications companies — has fallen victim, and its IT staff is desperately telling employees to shut down computers and VPN connections in order to limit the ransomware's reach.

The culprit for these attacks is v2.0 of the WCry ransomware, also known as WannaCry or WanaCrypt0r ransomware.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that for real? Or just a frighten the less wary into paying the blackmail when really

have been cases of false demands, but the fact they pop that message on your screen means you're compromised... and means the engineers probably too late if they have applied genuine encryption and its been in the system a while (so the backups are encrypted too!)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Also, some of the NHS IT people I've had to work with are absolute morons!

Wonder if it's ISIS or the pesky Russians. Might even be one of Corbyn's stooges trying to undermine the Tories before the election, the momentum cyber division.

Where have you worked....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Indeed and there's never been a coherent IT policy across the whole of the NHS thanks to the petty politics the Trusts play.

This this and THIS! NHS trusts are scandalously run according to several senior experts I've spoken to in my time. I actually think the politicians are easy hate targets for the electorate when senior civil servants and trust managers should be taking a much bigger proportion of the blame for failings and the mind blowing waste, inefficiency and damned right incompetence that is our National Health Service today.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is that for real? Or just a frighten the less wary into paying the blackmail when really, anyone computer engineer worth their salt could recover.

I can't confirm this particular one is real but some most definitely are real and impossible to break once on a device.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here