Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mourinho, 'resting players' for Palace game

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bold stuff from the Special One last night - basically saying he will definitely rest many players for the final Prem Lg game for the vital Europa League final three days later.

Now even taking into account you can't take everything/anything he says at face value, and also our 'special view' on all things Palace, what do people think about this?

The arguments stack up pretty clearly, it's just which side of it you are on.

On the one hand he would be violating the integrity of the league, not doing right by the likes of Swansea and Hull. Of course it could well be over anyway with Palace safe, so why risk all the grief until the problem has arrived for sure.

On the other hand it is a huge final for Man Utd, the difference between a meh season and a decent one, a trophy they have never won and most of all a Champions League place when they already have injuries and suspensions.

Personally I think Palace will be safe - but if they aren't this could get very ugly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ajax finish their season at the weekend with 1 final game, then 12 days to prepare for the final. ManUtd have 2 away games then Palace at home 3 days before the final. I know what I'd want us doing if we were in that position (which is likely this time in 2019).

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
A lot will depend on the outcome of Sundays Palace vs Hull game. Likelihood is that Palace will be mathematically safe by the start of the final game of this season. If not, then still can't see the Prem taking any action against Man Utd for it.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I'm pretty sure they will take the point they need against Hull. But if not it's up to JM who he plays, TBH. He's likely to finish 6th in league so his only champion league hope will be winning Europa League. He won't give a jot about palace, hull or Swansea. If hull do win at palace I'm sure they won't be thrilled but that's life. A half decent united side should be able to muster 3 points v palace at old Trafford

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I will never agree with clubs making wholesale changes .

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Expect Palace to get the point they need this weekend and it's a fair bet they'll draw 1-1 at Old Trafford as that's how all matches there finish this season.

If not, well if I were Maureen, I know what I'd be doing. Chance of a trophy his club have never won and Champions League qualification. Or fretting about Hull and Swansea. His key players, particularly in defence, won't be anywhere near the Palace match.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Whilst I can't stand Mourinho, it's not United's fault that Hull and Swansea are where they are.

Still hoping their reserves will stuff Croydon but sadly they will be safe by then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst I can't stand Mourinho, it's not United's fault that Hull and Swansea are where they are.

Still hoping their reserves will stuff Croydon but sadly they will be safe by then.

Their 'reserves' against Arsenal:
(£175m worth...)
De Gea
Tuanzebe
Smalling
Jones
Darmian
Herrera
Carrick
Rooney
Mata
Martial
Mkhitaryan

subs
Lingard
McTominayat
Rashford

Let's face it, the big sides have practically 22 players regularly getting games. You can field a team of full internationals as your reserves, and it's still a side with regular appearances all season. With that much muscle, we maybe in the same boat as others in January when the FA cup comes round...

SAC

May 21, 2014
Their reserves probably cost more than most lower PL squads and should be too much for Palace.

Mourinho's duty is to United and they have to be in the Champions League to make the sort of profit expected of them. He would be mad to play too many first team players just before such an important match. It's a squad game and up to him to decide who he plays.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Think I read ff they don't get CL football next season their shirt sponsorship reduces by about 30%
That'll be a lot of millions.
Right to rest them, and as [MENTION=827]fosters headband[/MENTION] said, be great for Manure reserves to relegate Palace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd love to see Ajax turn them over and spoil his and their party and deny United a Champion's League place. Not that I'm vindictive or anything.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'd love to see Ajax turn them over and spoil his and their party and deny United a Champion's League place. Not that I'm vindictive or anything.

I am on the opposite side of the coin, I really want them to qualify for the CL. That'll be potentially 5 teams playing weakened sides against us next season and a chance for points. Yes please!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am on the opposite side of the coin, I really want them to qualify for the CL. That'll be potentially 5 teams playing weakened sides against us next season and a chance for points. Yes please!

Good plan, except other teams around us will benefit too though thus nullifying any advantage gained :smile:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Can't see Hull beating Spurs on last day anyway
I'm sure the special one would be up in arms if a team fielded a weakened side if United were relying on that team to beat a team that wanted that team to beat the other team so that team wouldn't let the other team have an easy game

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don't blame him, Man Untied share price will plummet if they don't make the "Champions" League. It's money driven, not sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here