Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Councillors on parade buses... why?!

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I posted this on one of the bus parade threads but I feel it's worth one of its own as I'm genuinely bemused and if anything is putting me off going, it's this...

There are plenty on here who email Paul Barber almost daily with various questions, ideas, moans and critiques. Can one of you on first name terms with him fire one over and ask him why and what the f**k councillors are doing on the bus? Can anyone actually think of a logical reason why they are there?

Can't even give them the finger and dogs abuse as the route will be full of kids and families. I thought it was buses they were riding on not a bandwagon.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Probably because the club would like to nurture a good relationship with them - might be useful when re-applying for permission for hotel etc...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I for one don't know why we went to the council offices in 2002,almost as if they wanted us tucked away from the spotlight of the better & more prestigious venue of Hove town hall...

Friend of mine emailed Barber recently over the Albion flags flown at council offices and he responded very quickly and on a midweek evening,the reply was(the friend showed me the reply so going from memory) along the lines of being all in it together...The flags as i understand were to be flown until promotion had been settled,so nobody will expect to see any flags flying at the offices on May 14th then :lol:

Perhaps they could have done a raffle for a fan or two to be on the bus top parade too..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suspect it's principally because this is a Brighton & Hove City Council event, where they have invited the club on an open top bus parade.

If previous years are anything to go by, there will be two buses - one for the players and management and club dignitaries, and one for 'others'. I doubt all councillors will be there, just the Council Leader, the Mayor and the Chief Executive. Maybe one or two other hangers-on.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Being cynical for a moment,the council only really seemed (i say seemed as it's a while ago now) to want to be involved when they saw the strength of feeling at the referendum for having Albion homed possibly at Falmer in 1999..

Prior to that things were always a little distant in reality.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
will fred dinnage be there this time?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Being cynical for a moment,the council only really seemed (i say seemed as it's a while ago now) to want to be involved when they saw the strength of feeling at the referendum for having Albion homed possibly at Falmer in 1999..
Reminds me - my neighbour (SCC fan) voted against that. WTF?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Prior to that things were always a little distant in reality.

To fair i wonder how many of those council members from 1999 and before are actual council members now so not fair on most of them, they may very well be 100% behind the club and City and want to share in the achievement by the club that will bring extra income into the City, everyone will benefit from this promotion hopefully.

I am looking forward to seeing all the young children in Blue and White stripes the future is Bright

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Reminds me - my neighbour (SCC fan) voted against that. WTF?

If he is still a neighbor then i assume one will not be forthcoming on any (extremely remote) chance of your assistance in obtaining a ticket when we play,like i say extremely remote.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not a day for the councellors, it really has absolutely nothing to do with them. We're celebrating the achievement of our team finally reaching the Premier League. Now they can say that they backed Falmer I suppose, they gave us the land, and that this is ultimately a culmination of that process. But the classy thing to do would be to step back and let that team take the plaudits for what they have achieved on the pitch this season, not to horn in on it with a big cheesy grin, stand on that bus and bask in the reflected glory.

I hope the team straps plastic tits on them and completely drenches them in bubbly from the off. Then they'll have to take it, and just "pretend" to love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here