Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Got home this evening.........a rat in the garden.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A country (not sewer) rat was running brazenly around the lawn. Any serious suggestions of how to get rid of. Not sure if there is a nest around or not.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At least it wasn't in the kitchen

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
At least it wasn't in the kitchen

You say that now, but if you ignore a country rat it's only a matter of time before he invites his town rat friend over. Who will initially hate it but then fall in love with the place and move in.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Environmental management is the first step. Eradicate all possible food sources, such as feeding the birds, compost bin and food waste.

Speak to neighbours to ask them to stop feeding the birds, foxes and any other animals.

If problem persists I recommend placing poison inside external bait stations, available in most hardware stores.

If they are nesting nearby, it is most probably under a shed.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
go to the county court and get them to issue an eviction order.

hou_rattravler.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It might not be a good idea to involve the council. Our neighbours had rats near a compost heap, the council put poison out and the rats, like all animals, then searched for somewhere quiet and dark in which to die. They managed to get under the floorboards and the stench made the house virtually uninhabitable for four weeks. They should be killed instantly or trapped and then dealt with.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Environmental management is the first step. Eradicate all possible food sources, such as feeding the birds, compost bin and food waste.

Speak to neighbours to ask them to stop feeding the birds, foxes and any other animals.

If problem persists I recommend placing poison inside external bait stations, available in most hardware stores.

If they are nesting nearby, it is most probably under a shed.

Well, have now seen the bloody thing go into a shed attached to the house. Cat realises something is in there and keeping watch.

Will go and get a bait etc. tomorrow.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Electronic Rat Zapper (looks like a shoe box open at one end with a battery charged metal plate at the far end where you put the bait) has worked well over the years in our garage.

You wouldn't have thought 4x C Batteries would be up to the job but it haven't failed us yet.

It has accounted for quite a lot of Mickies as well. Bit sad about the Shrew that also got zapped a while back - don't tell the RSPCA. :blush:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Give the blighter a damn good kick in the testicles.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It might not be a good idea to involve the council. Our neighbours had rats near a compost heap, the council put poison out and the rats, like all animals, then searched for somewhere quiet and dark in which to die. They managed to get under the floorboards and the stench made the house virtually uninhabitable for four weeks. They should be killed instantly or trapped and then dealt with.

Lucky we have got a solid floor then!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw one belting across my lawn a few years ago. Turns out my batty neighbour had decided that she could put cooked food in her compost (despite my suggesting otherwise). She got the council round . . . .

Incidentally she asked me tonight if I could chop down the (3 foot high) very slow growing hedge in my front garden because she'd planted a rose that was not growing fast enough because of the shadow cast. 'Yeah, sure', I lied. :wozza::lolol:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Big ******* snapper trap baited with Cadburys Dairy Milk.

I use a small ******* snapper trap with the above mentioned chocolate for mice in my warehouse and they practically swan-dive into it as long as it's Dairy Milk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here