Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Baldock (possibly Murray) miss

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen lots about how Stockdale lost us the game on Sunday but no single thread on the glaring cock up that was Murray passing to Baldock to er do what exactly? Firstly I thought Murray should have smashed it in, but then Baldock had a virtually open goal, just hit the ****ing thing in! Crowd go mental and we get a big shiny cup

That was the moment for me when the title was lost. Hanging on to a 1-0 was never a good idea, we needed that second goal and chances don't come much better than that.

This is very comparable to the And Smith Must Score moment :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've seen lots about how Stockdale lost us the game on Sunday but no single thread on the glaring cock up that was Murray passing to Baldock to er do what exactly? Firstly I thought Murray should have smashed it in, but then Baldock had a virtually open goal, just hit the ****ing thing in! Crowd go mental and we get a big shiny cup

That was the moment for me when the title was lost. Hanging on to a 1-0 was never a good idea, we needed that second goal and chances don't come much better than that.

It was a SHIT SHIT SHIT ball from Murray.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a thread on it, but I mentioned it within a thread. We should have put two goals away.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Must confess I have only watched it live, can't bring myself to watch any of the highlights yet.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I agree, that was the title deciding moment.

Watching back the Villa goal as well I think it is pretty harsh on Stockdale too. The ball is hit hard and there are about 6 Albion players in front of him including Dunk flying across his sightline. He should have done better but I am not sure it is an absolute howler. The Murray/Baldock miss most certainly is though.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Agree 100%. That was THE moment to seal it. Crowd was buzzing. We would have played out a comfortable 0-2 and no more fcking crying players laying on the floor at FT.

That was the moment i thought "oh s--t" i dont like this anymore.

Have watched it back numerous times on utube and it tortures me everytime - just smash it or just round the keep and Rabona the mother into the goal

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Come on guys, the season is over so:

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the Championship door!

We are Premier League, we are Premier League.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It was a SHIT SHIT SHIT ball from Murray.

I'm not saying it wasn't a shit ball, but it wasn't like Baldock didn't almost miss the ball completely... Live it looked like an appalling attempt to hit the ball and the replays don't do him much justice.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
It was lost for me when Hughton decided with 1 minute of normal time to play to keep a 4-4-2 that was still being dominated in the middle even though they had 10 men on the pitch.

I called it as soon as Grielish came on that he would cause problems and he did.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not saying it wasn't a shit ball, but it wasn't like Baldock didn't almost miss the ball completely... Live it looked like an appalling attempt to hit the ball and the replays don't do him much justice.

From the position the two of them were in, it SHOULD have been a certain goal. Murray's under-hit pass turned that into a CHANCE, which Baldock MIGHT have done better with. Baldock needed to really attack it, and sadly, didn't.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Literally just said the same on the match day thread, very surprising it hasn't been mentioned much at all.

When their goal went in, this is what I thought of with no anger toward Stockdale. 2-0 and it was game over.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Literally just said the same on the match day thread, very surprising it hasn't been mentioned much at all.

When their goal went in, this is what I thought of. 2-0 and it was game over.

I said the same on the #blamestockdale threads. That was THE moment. Not that it was the ONLY moment though - Murray's poor header from Murphy's cross is a chance you'd back him to take, and March's cross-shot when a gentle square pass meant a certain open goal for Knockaert have escaped criticism entirely.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I said the same on the #blamestockdale threads. That was THE moment. Not that it was the ONLY moment though - Murray's poor header from Murphy's cross is a chance you'd back him to take, and March's cross-shot when a gentle square pass meant a certain open goal for Knockaert have escaped criticism entirely.

Bunch of ***** since the Wigan game basically...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I remember both, unfortunately trumped by the surely a certain goal moment. Agonising at the time and moreso after.

It was one of those where the calmness had already subconsciously set in my mind momentarily as I prepared to celebrate, there was just no way this would not be a goal I thought.....

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
From the position the two of them were in, it SHOULD have been a certain goal. Murray's under-hit pass turned that into a CHANCE, which Baldock MIGHT have done better with. Baldock needed to really attack it, and sadly, didn't.

Absolutely. Bizarrely, it was one of the least selfish things I've seen Murray do this season. Honestly, think it gave the best opportunity to score having taken the keeper out of the game momentarily.

Edit: Just fact-checked myself and realised I was completely wrong.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was a two against one inside the area. Murray put no real pace on the ball and it reached Baldock more slowly than he would have liked. This gave the defender a chance to get in front of Baldock, who panicked and had a quick and rather weak stab at the ball, which hit the defender. It was the golden opportunity to put the game and title to bed.
Although it was all over very quickly, it still gave SB enough time to think about it and thats where it went wrong. He is purely instinctive and lacks that calmness close to goal. A higher class player ( Sanchez/Aguerro etc ) would have taken a touch and created space around or wide of the defender and found the empty net.
It might have been different if Murray had played the ball more fiercely at Baldock. He probably would have slammed it in without thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here