Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recruitment, recruitment, recruitment

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not the only thing governing how we do next season...but it's by far and away the biggest thing.

I think we and everyone else knows we have a lot of what you need to be a Premier League club (ie stay up next season somehow and then consolidate).

But in recent years I think you can pretty much look at every club that has either stayed up or gone down, and put their fate down to recruitment decisions, value for money and effectiveness. Boro and Sunderland got it spectacularly wrong last summer. So did West Ham, they have just got away with it. Swansea and Hull also poor.

I would actually say Palace recruited pretty well last summer, so they have to go down as under-achievers.

We all know we have to strengthen, but those players have to hit the ground running and do well from day one, we can't afford any £10million duds like some clubs.

There are still loads of variables of course. How will the players we THINK are good enough perform; how many of those will there be; injuries; players/manager being targeted with huge offers; how will other teams do; will we get a good start, and a bit of luck.

But recruitment is the big one, I trust Bloom/Barber/Hughton implicitly to get it right, and would love to be a fly on the wall for those three-way chats about our future. Snatching Tom Cairney would be a good start if Fulham don't make it, especially since Newcastle are interested there.

In the meantime, I'm already over the minor title disappointment and can't wait for Sunday's parade, down with the family for the day and ready to party.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And there was me hoping this might be a binfest about Recruitment Agents !

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The season is over, what are you expecting? There will be hundreds more so I would take a break if it irks you.

Quite right. The single most important topic to be discussed from now until the window closes. Anyone who's that irritated, look away for four months.

Yes, it will all get a bit silly with the speculation and names in the hat - but you've just got to go with it this time really.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, agreed.

The season is won or lost on recruitment.

1 - Which players are on the retained list ?

2 - Formulate what the 25 man squad then needs, and how many U21s to supplement numbers.

3 - Recruit the players needed.

4 - Name the 25 man squad.

5 - Loan out or sell the surplus.

Most of the above won't start happenning until the window opens in July.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The summer 2017 transfer window opens 1st July and closes 31st August.

It's going to be a long summer.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think it's a point well made.

There are many factors which put massive pressure on our recruitment team this summer to get it right.

The expectations have been increased by our previous great work in the market and by the repeated rhetoric, particularly by PB, that the club has been structurally and logistically ready for this moment for some time, whereas other clubs have had/will need to spend money and time on many other distractions besides getting it right on the pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought this was going to be a new Channel 4 show.

"Two BELL CHEESE recruitment agents, help couples find jobs in the country"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here