Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capped energy bills, WTF Theresa...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Here we go the latest popularist policy which will ultimately only do damage to long term investment. reduce competition and have the reverse effect.

This isn't a Tory government, its a Theresa May government. Really hard to know what she represents, constantly changes her mind on everything. No conviction at all in my book

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's also an Ed Miliband proposal - it was part of the last Labour manifesto - wonder if she'll nick any more of his ideas.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here we go the latest popularist policy which will ultimately only do damage to long term investment. reduce competition and have the reverse effect.

This isn't a Tory government, its a Theresa May government. Really hard to know what she represents, constantly changes her mind on everything. No conviction at all in my book

I wouldn't worry, it's a headline grabber but I assume left in the hands of the regulator who have a very cosy relationship with the big players it won't amount to all that much.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
....and good old Jezza promising 4 extra bank holidays isn't an empty tout for the populist vote? ..... I might suggest you take those blinkers off, it should let you form an opinion using a wider tranche of information than the tunnel you currently seem to limit yourself to.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
....and good old Jezza promising 4 extra bank holidays isn't an empty tout for the populist vote?

I'd rather they just gave each of us the same number; England has 8, Scotland/wales have 9 and NI have 10.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
....and good old Jezza promising 4 extra bank holidays isn't an empty tout for the populist vote? ..... I might suggest you take those blinkers off, it should let you form an opinion using a wider tranche of information than the tunnel you currently seem to limit yourself to.

Blinkers, you say?

2013 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-energy-prices-boosting-minimum-wage-.html

"'The lights will go out over Britain': Shares in energy firms drop 5% amid warnings of blackouts from Miliband's plan to freeze bills."

2017 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...ilies-100-year-capping-rip-energy-prices.html

"Theresa May vows to save families £100 a year by capping `rip off´ energy prices."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
daft when Labour suggested it, daft when Conservatives suggest it. its counter productive too, energy prices have risen above cost for the past 6 months since it was first floated. if she wants to save money on energy bills, scrap smart meter roll out that no one wants but adds to our bill.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon all of the party manifestos for this election have been written on the equivalent of the back of a fag packet. It's all about May getting a mandate to strengthen her hand going into the Brexit negotiations, nothing more, nothing less. Strong And Stable :bla:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's all about May getting a mandate to strengthen her hand going into the Brexit negotiations, nothing more, nothing less. Strong And Stable :bla:

It's not.

It's about May getting a significant majority to do exactly as she pleases, making as few solid commitments as she possibly can away with, whilst using the doomed Brexit 'negotiations' as a subterfuge.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blinkers, you say?

2013 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-energy-prices-boosting-minimum-wage-.html

"'The lights will go out over Britain': Shares in energy firms drop 5% amid warnings of blackouts from Miliband's plan to freeze bills."

2017 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...ilies-100-year-capping-rip-energy-prices.html

"Theresa May vows to save families £100 a year by capping `rip off´ energy prices."

Today

Shares in energy firms drop 5% amid warnings of blackouts from May plan to freeze bills. Centrica down 6% today

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why don't you just back her policies if that is who you back. Is your only argument always a comparison!?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not.

It's about May getting a significant majority to do exactly as she pleases with, making as few solid commitments as she possibly can away with, whilst using the doomed Brexit 'negotiations' as a subterfuge.

Yep. Grammar Schools. NHS. National Insurance. The Tory Triple Tax Lock.

She's been scuppered by her back benchers on these issues and has had to do U-turns. She wants a bigger majority to get these things through. Brexit is a smoke screen and providing political opportunity for her.

She'll get in, I just hope, somehow cling to a hope she doesn't increase her majority by much.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Why don't you just back her policies if that is who you back. Is your only argument always a comparison!?

I find that's what all political discourse descends into.

"Party X did this"
"Yeah but Party Z did this first so can you blame Party X?"
"What about Party Y? They did that other thing before you even knew who Party Z were!"

It's exactly why I don't argue politics. Rapidly becomes a shit slinging match won by whichever side is better at yelling / throwing ad hominem arguments around.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just getting back to the topic at hand, I found this illuminating in The Guardian today.

"Experts at Jefferies, the stockbroker, said that if the company offset the pain by making its fixed deals more expensive – as seems likely across the industry – it would reduce the loss to £150m."

I'm sure it won't be news to many that those on the best deals are effectively subsidised by those still on standard rates. I'm sure it also won't surprise many to learn that statistically, pensioners and the poor are statistically less likely to be on fixed rate deals and more likely to be on more expensive pre-payment meters.

I find it pretty distasteful that 'competition' has lead to a scenario where shareholders are extracting their dividend off the back of some of the most vulnerable in society. My fixed rate is being paid for by someone else being ripped off for an essential utility.

Isn't this tampering just an admission that this 'market' has failed? Who is the 'choice' in this market really serving? Haven't we all got better things to do with our lives than checking that we are on the cheapest gas/electricity tariff?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't this tampering just an admission that this 'market' has failed? Who is the 'choice' in this market really serving?

the market hasn't failed, because there isn't a genuine market, only constant interference as you note. another interference is that the smaller providers are not subject to some tariffs and levies, so distorting the market.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here