Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European Super League

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As I remember it the current Champions League format was a compromise to stop the 'big' clubs leaving domestic leagues to create a European Super League.

Given that currently, we have a closed shop at the top of the Premier League (Leicester aside) would we have been better off letting them leave and continuing with an English League Division One?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
As I remember it the current Champions League format was a compromise to stop the 'big' clubs leaving domestic leagues to create a European Super League.

Given that currently, we have a closed shop at the top of the Premier League (Leicester aside) would we have been better off letting them leave and continuing with an English League Division One?

Surely a domestic top league should include the best teams in the country - it would be a meaningless competition without them.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Like Celtic and Rangers coming to the Premier League would make the Scottish League even more of a joke than it is now

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

I've often wondered this. I think yes. But not just yet, let's have a few seasons getting sick of being hammered by Chelsea etc and then do it once the novelty has worn off. It's going to happen at some point, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I fully expect one area like Scandinavia or a clump of smaller nations creating a joint top league to eventually bring us a step closer.

The one thing currently stopping that is surely the number of places in European competition each nations recieves.

A merging of 3 or 4 nations however would likely ramp up the money the bigger clubs in those countries can make and create futher division from the rest of their nation. It's the Premier League way after all.

If a European Super League does come into being, why shouldn't the Albion invite a top European Club to play their "home" games at the Amex? It's a logical development for a sport that is increasingly looking like a set of franchises only interested in targeting an international TV audience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here