Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When can we consider ourselves a 'big' club

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Some suggestions:

That we all want:
- When we have stayed in the premier league for three seasons running
- When we are a buying rather than selling club.
- when our history is important trophies won, rather than those just missed

That I want:
- When we don't need to celebrate before the big trophy has been won (of course we all had to celebrate promotion this year, but look at the contrast with Newcastle).
- When we don't need opera singers at our home games (ever).
- when we don't need clackers or flags on the seats (although I concede that the flags create a spectacle)
- When 27,000 home fans know all the songs and have been going regularly to home games for more than a decade.
- When there is a similar atmosphere in every stand to the North Stand (Its getting better, but not there yet)

That I don't look forward to:
- When Tony Bloom (like Dick Knight before him) is talking to other investors 'to push the club to the next level'
- When exiles like me have no chance of an away ticket and little chance of getting a home ticket.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We won't because we aren't.

Bigger than some, not as big as others. We are what we are and I would like us to stay that way.

In all honesty, if we become a team like Stoke and are comfortable in mid table in the Premier League I will probably get bored. Much more exciting being a top part of the Championship style club with the occasional forray into the Premier League instead of fighting it out for 7th year after year.

Gutted we didn't win that trophy this year. That is what its all about.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Bigger than some, not as big as others. We are what we are and I would like us to stay that way.

In all honesty, if we become a team like Stoke and are comfortable in mid table in the Premier League I will probably get bored. Much more exciting being a top part of the Championship style club with the occasional forray into the Premier League instead of fighting it out for 7th year after year.

Agree with this. If we can't really get up with the top 8 clubs and compete for European places sometimes,I would rather us be a yo-yo club. Relegation hurts but it can be turned around :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We cannot consider ourselves a big club until we are one of the following.
A. The size of Wales.
B. The size of 3 football pitches.
C. The size of 10 London double decker buses.
That's how thing are measured in this country.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When we win Things like the Championship.......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Never...we are a small little seaside club on its uppers at the moment and well below the radar.

Forever may that stay.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Leicester gave us all hope mate

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No need to be a 'big' club, that's just subjective opinion.

All we need to be is Albion and the best we can be.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I heard a bloke on Radio Sussex this morning talking about 'a small club such as Crystal Palace', and they have been in the PL for a good few years now.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Are Bournemouth a big club? I'd be happy to be just above them in the league.
Are Everton a big club? What have they won and how often are they in Europe?
Are Blackburn a big club? First winners of the PL are now in the third league.
Fulham could be second behind Chelsea in the league but still not be a big club.
We are Brighton, super Brighton, from the South. We'll never be a BIG club but maybe that's because we don't want to be.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
In the football pyramid, Brighton are going to be in the top 20 teams in England. That's pretty good going.

Pretty much every club in the 92 can be considered 'big', it depends how you view things.

In other words, we're MASSIVE!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's all relative.

I also go to Ebbsfleet games, and to them we ARE a big club.
Whereas, in the World of Barcelona, we wouldn't be a big club until we win multiple Champions Leagues.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't want to be considered a big club, I like our higgldy piggldy ways.

This.
We are BHAFC.
We have our own identity, the only PL club in Sussex.
A big club is graded on sliver ware, how well they've done in competitions and with a MASSIVE fan base IMO :wink:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
5 years in row in Prem, a cup run to the semis & a European tournament run (not just qualifications)

SAC

May 21, 2014
No one should care, leave that to Manchester United and Real Madrid to fight about from behind their keyboards.

If pushed, I would say that being BIG is when half n half scarves are sold before each home match. Now, is that something to look forward to?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are Bournemouth a big club? I'd be happy to be just above them in the league.
Are Everton a big club? What have they won and how often are they in Europe?
Are Blackburn a big club? First winners of the PL are now in the third league.
Fulham could be second behind Chelsea in the league but still not be a big club.
We are Brighton, super Brighton, from the South. We'll never be a BIG club but maybe that's because we don't want to be.

Er, they won Division 1 in 1985.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here