Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the last 3 results a blessing in disguise??.....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
In the fact that it's highlighted clearly to both our manager and chairman that serious squad strengthening is required for next season.

If we had held on today and won the title would that have papered over the cracks to some extent and perhaps not given the strict focus that is needed to make our squad Premier League ready?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
CH has been using the last 3 matches to assess the squad - nearly everyone has had 90 minutes

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it has brought everyone's feet back on the ground. I agree that CH has given everyone a chance.

Should still have won it though.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I never thought we were good enough on paper to finish in the top 2 anyway, being around 7th? of the playing budget of other clubs.

All credit to CH for getting the best out of this squad, and I'm sure he will do well again next season with a competitive amount of money to spend.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Good point raised here about CH rotating the squad to have a look at everyone.
Could result in things happening before pre season games, instead of a month after the season has started.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Substantial funds will have to be spent, if we are to have a realistic chance of survival next season, I reckon.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bizarrely the last three games might actually go a long way to us staying up next year.

Had we got the Championship there would have been a huge wave of euphoria over the summer, and as previously alluded to in this thread papered over the cracks.

Whilst there is no room for sentiment in professional football it would have been hard for Hughton to do what he has to do and break up the squad on the back of a Championship win, now he has the ultimate get out when shipping players out, you had three chances to win the Championship and you came up short each time.

We need 7 players minimum, apparently the first is rumoured to be Gareth Barry, whether he's still got what it takes is another debate that I'm sure will be played out on NSC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gareth Barry - no matter how tenuous the link why is NSC always so desperate to get former 'players' back?

This is a serious question:-

Are other forums/fans as obsessed as this place is in returning players?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Gareth Barry - no matter how tenuous the link why is NSC always so desperate to get former 'players' back?

This is a serious question:-

Are other forums/fans as obsessed as this place is in returning players?

Stat B, dont shoot the messenger, only what I was told yesterday at Villa Park.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat B, dont shoot the messenger, only what I was told yesterday at Villa Park.
Oh I wasn't, hence not quoting you, it was just a perfect lead into my genuine question.

I guess I should be grateful it wasn't Jeffrey Monakana, although I'm sure it won't be long before someone decides Jeff is the answer.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bizarrely the last three games might actually go a long way to us staying up next year.

Had we got the Championship there would have been a huge wave of euphoria over the summer, and as previously alluded to in this thread papered over the cracks.

Whilst there is no room for sentiment in professional football it would have been hard for Hughton to do what he has to do and break up the squad on the back of a Championship win, now he has the ultimate get out when shipping players out, you had three chances to win the Championship and you came up short each time.

We need 7 players minimum, apparently the first is rumoured to be Gareth Barry, whether he's still got what it takes is another debate that I'm sure will be played out on NSC.

I will ask his agent, seeing him in a few days time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I see what you're getting at here.

What they demonstrate is that this team/ squad has relied on intangibles (motivation, team spirit etc....) for a lot of the year and that the margins in the Championship are extremely slim so when some of the motivation is removed results suffer.

However, it seems to me the lesson isn't 'go out and spend a load of cash' it's 'remember that this triumph has been built on character as much as skill' and continue to view the vast majority of future signings through this prism.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Exactly my thoughts ... well apart from Barry :)

There are going to be players who did a good job for us this year but who won't (or shouldn't be) be playing any part in next season.

It will be interesting to see our 'retained' list. I assume that not only confirms players released at end of contract but also those that are in contract but we have said can go find another club. Is that correct?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I see what you're getting at here.

What they demonstrate is that this team/ squad has relied on intangibles (motivation, team spirit etc....) for a lot of the year and that the margins in the Championship are extremely slim so when some of the motivation is removed results suffer.

However, it seems to me the lesson isn't 'go out and spend a load of cash' it's 'remember that this triumph has been built on character as much as skill' and continue to view the vast majority of future signings through this prism.

Isn't this how Leicester did what they did last term? A team greater than their parts? Something goes wrong somewhere and the "intangible" that makes the team work together has gone, and you get the freefall we saw in the first 3/4 of this season, only for it to start to click again after Ranneiri left and the subsequent recovery. Brighton will do ok next season, IF, they stay true to the way they have recruited over the past 18 months or so. Can they do the job we need, will they fit into the squad, do they have the desire to play for the team.No "big name" signings unless they fit it with what we have, if players leave then we wish them well and we get on with it. Will we see new players,will some leave, yes, but I hope the core remain and is built on, rather than a wholescale rebuild job. Either way, what a ride its been, now lets get on with the new reality, and enjoy what will be a very different season next time

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here