Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Such a shame

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It really is such a shame that so many people are now feeling that we have somehow failed with the results we have had in our last three games. If we hadn't won promotion with three games to spare & instead gained promotion later than we did then we would all be absolutely ecstatic with the outcome of our season, but instead we were spoilt & seem to be disappointed with our season judging by some peoples attitudes.
Yes of course it would have been flucking brilliant had we of won the title, yes we perhaps could have iced the cake, but we won promotion & I for one am delighted that we avoided the play offs which if we are being honest would have been acceptable to many of us pre season.
I know with three games to go it looked easier to win the title than to finish second but hey ho we are Brighton & Hove Albion, and we ARE going up so rather than feel deflated let's just enjoy the fact that we are not involved in the lottery that are the play offs & remember what a great job our club has done this season just getting automatic promotion.

It could be worse, you could be in Shane Duffys shoes!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well said

I am absolutely gutted that we didn't win the title, especially after coming so close. But bloody hell, Brighton - BRIGHTON are in the premier league. That's something pretty special and something I never thought I would see.

This will hurt for a while but when we get near the start of the new season it will quickly fade away for all

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But it didn't work out that way, if it did I would agree with you, we had 3 games to get 3 points with no pressure, and we didn't even try, pro footballers want to win trophies,and it is still pissing me off, we should have had it all but I am sure I will get over it soon enough.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Tremendous season. Absolutely brilliant but however you sugar coat it missing out on the title was, and possibly always will be, a big regret.
Of course the boys deserve all the adolation for achieving the number 1 priority target this season but I do also think it's good to be a bit greedy and always strive for better, not convince yourself that just about enough is enough. This breeds a winning mentality.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I agree up to a point but just reading the match report of Newcastle's game today and seeing their champagne soaked players on the podium does hurt.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My head says, "Be happy - we're in the Premier League."

My heart say, "Look at what you could've won..."

I'll get over it, but tonight I feel a bit deflated, which is not what I ever expected to feel at the end of a promotion-winning campaign. Sorry - can't help it.

7 points clear with 3 to play... :facepalm:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, a shame, but in the end 2nd place is dreamland.

Bigger battles now to be fought in the transfer market, where next season will be defined.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Good post, and I don't disagree.

However, two points to ponder:

1) Will there be a hangover from this disappointment that lasts into the start of next season? The reaction from the even greater disappointment from last season would suggest not.....but a difficult early run of EPL fixtures could test our morale.

2) What does this disappointing end of season tell us about our team and its readiness to compete in the Premier League, if anything? For me, the squad looks as though it needs a bit more surgery than we perhaps thought a few weeks back. Areas of the pitch where we thought we looked strong, eg. central midfield, goalkeeper, fullback, look as though they may need strengthening - not to mention the weaknesses we've known about for ages (eg. lack of depth up front).

We won't go mad. We'll work within the budget - but I hope the most obvious frailties are going to be properly addressed.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Villa and Norwich were always going to be 2 difficult away games to finish with. Even though they had nothing to play for, they still have a lot of quality and teams rarely roll over in this division.

Bristol City at home was the big opportunity but even they've been on good form recently.

It is a shame not to win the league but in reality to finish only 1 point behind a team with the budget of Newcastle shows what an amazing season we've had.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My head says, "Be happy - we're in the Premier League."

My heart say, "Look at what you could've won..."

I'll get over it, but tonight I feel a bit deflated, which is not what I ever expected to feel at the end of a promotion-winning campaign. Sorry - can't help it.

7 points clear with 3 to play... :facepalm:

Bloody cruel for us and somewhat fortuitous for Newcastle.

Two flukey goals either side of a not-given penalty at Norwich.
Our most possession dominant game all season yet beaten by a smash and grab by Bristol City.
An 89th minute soft goal today.

I think we all know that there was going to be a hangover performance at Norwich, but I think that there might have been too much of a planned party feel to the last home game. Shouldn't have made a difference but you never know.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
This will hurt for a while but when we get near the start of the new season it will quickly fade away for all

Wrong. I plan to remind everyone that we finished second to Newcastle in the championship. And I will be chastised continuously. And it won't matter one iota.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Celebrated way too soon on getting promotion, we gave up Newcastle didn't, 3 wins in a row for them.
Soft southerners ticket sticks.
More than happy with promotion, but the side really has to assess what they became in the last 3 games.
How Murray and Baldock managed to miss an almost open goal is beyond me, 2 up then would have done it.
Bring on next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here