Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens today

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Firstly, promotion is an amazing achievement so the disappointment of today will be short lived. The team have been amazing to achieve promotion so well done the lads, take a bow !

But the performances of Dale Stephens in this final run-in in particular causes me to question whether he has the credentials to be a first choice in the PL - I say this because I find his style of play very pedestrian, everything slows down when he gets the ball and his natural instinct is to go backwards or sideways - especially today. I have a big concern that this style of play will be punished heavily in the PL as I fear he would get closed down very quickly and lose possession easily - which will ultimately cost us goals. This isn't a knee jerk opinion, it's an opinion formed for a little while now - I know our form with him in the team this season speaks for itself, but next season is a whole new ball game. Would love to be proved wrong though - time will tell. UTA !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's me thinking this thread was going to be about either:-

Without Stephens we'd be lucky to be in the play offs.
Or
Without Stephens we'd have been properly embarrassed over these last 3 games.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I do wonder about some! What have you been watching? It is mainly because of Stephens that we won 5 on the trot to get promotion! I have a question mark over a few but not Stephens! A laughable thread!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Stephens has been our best player in the last few games and one of the only reasons the score has remained respectable, laughable thread imo

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Just to clear one thing up - DS has done a great job for us this season, I'm not questioning the contribution he has made this season. I'm simply giving a view on whether his style of play will be suitable in the PL because it is an unforgiving League. Football is all about opinions !

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Firstly, promotion is an amazing achievement so the disappointment of today will be short lived. The team have been amazing to achieve promotion so well done the lads, take a bow !

But the performances of Dale Stephens in this final run-in in particular causes me to question whether he has the credentials to be a first choice in the PL - I say this because I find his style of play very pedestrian, everything slows down when he gets the ball and his natural instinct is to go backwards or sideways - especially today. I have a big concern that this style of play will be punished heavily in the PL as I fear he would get closed down very quickly and lose possession easily - which will ultimately cost us goals. This isn't a knee jerk opinion, it's an opinion formed for a little while now - I know our form with him in the team this season speaks for itself, but next season is a whole new ball game. Would love to be proved wrong though - time will tell. UTA !

That's actually laughable.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just to clear one thing up - DS has done a great job for us this season, I'm not questioning the contribution he has made this season. I'm simply giving a view on whether his style of play will be suitable in the PL because it is an unforgiving League. Football is all about opinions !

He is the only one of our midfielders who consistently retains the ball and makes a pass. Those will be vital skills next season. Look what happened when he didn't play in the first half at Norwich.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Stephens by far our best centre midfielder as he was last season. Going to be very hard to replace next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here