Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ins and Outs thread

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Right, now the season has reached a conclusion it's now time for the ins and outs required for us to be competitive in the top tier. For me personally...

Goalkeepers-
Stockdale- Offer him a 2 year contract, won us points this season but needs strong competition next year
Maenpaa- Feel sorry for the lad as I rate him as a decent keeper but we need a real contender for the number 1 jersey next year
Walton- Loan him to a high end league one or lower Championship club

NEW KEEPER NEEDED

Defence-
Right Backs- Bruno/Rosenior- Will be able to cover the RB spot effectively imo, no new signings required
Centre Backs- Dunk/Duffy/Uwe/Goldson- These four are strong enough for the Premiership imo if all fit, would be nice to get Tomori back on loan as well as he's a solid player. CB spots sorted.
Left Backs- Bong/Pocognoli- Personally think Bong isn't good enough for the PL. Pocognoli is injury prone and didn't have a good game at all today but overall would be happy to keep him as back up

NEW LB NEEDED

Midfield- Wingers- Murphy/Skalak/March/Knockaert- AK has been class for us this year and clearly deserves a shot in the Premier League, on the other hand I think Skalak has shown very little this season and should be moved on. More complicated with Murphy and March who I believe both have different qualities that we could potentially utilize, would suggest keeping hold of Murphy as he seems like a solid counter attacking player, as for March it's a difficult one, clearly has bags of ability but wonder if he would benefit more for being loaned out and getting regular football at a Championship club as I reckon at the moment he would be a bench player at best in the Prem due to his consistency.

Central Midfielders-Stephens/Kayal/Sidwell/Norwood- Obviously Stephens has been our outstanding performer in central midfield this year, so I'm sure nearly all Brighton fans are hoping that he stays. Sidwell has been fairly solid with his performances especially given that most of our supporters were panicking when Kayal was out so I would offer him a one year contract. Kayal has not hit the heights of last year but injury troubles have plagued him and maybe he hasn't got into a consistent rhythm this year, with a full pre season behind him in the summer I would back him to be good enough for the prem. Norwood has rarely featured this season and despite his start in our historic win against Wednesday I do not believe he has done enough to justify keeping him next season, if we can offload him I would get rid.

NEW WINGER(S) and CENTRAL MIDFIELDER NEEDED

Forwards- Murray/Hemed/Baldock- Murray has been superb especially at the Amex this season and his goals almost definitely secured us promotion, however, given that very mediocre Premiership sides like Palace and Bournemouth have thrown him by the wayside and that he is 33 I would presume he would only be a squad player next season. Hemed has worked hard this year and scored some important goals. His hold up play is never in doubt, although I personally do doubt his ability to convert a high percentage of chances in front of goal. Would be a bit part player for us next season imo. Baldock has improved dramatically this season and I believe his movement and forward runs has helped Murray bag as many goals as he did this season, he has also upped his goals tally in comparison to previous seasons. I would back him to start games for us next season but believe we also need strong competition with a player who plays in a similar role with pace and unselfishness.

TWO NEW STRIKERS NEEDED.

So I make it we'd need to sign 6/7 players at a minimum next year, would be interested to hear others thoughts.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Would go along with most of that, think March will be good enough for the bench though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would offer Sidwell two years, to allow him to see out his career. he's not top draw but he is experienced and has a certain presence and attitude, one of the "five to go to war in the tunnel" that we'll be needing for the coming seasons.

strikers, i maintain we keep all three and still need two. we cant rely on Murray to get goals in the Premier League any more than Hemed, they'd get a half dozen each if playing regularly (seperatly) imo. but we dont have the luxury nor work well with team spirit to ship both out and try to bring in 4 strikers.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Need a left back, right back, centre mid, number 10, striker. Plus keeper and another centre mid if Stephens and Stockdale leave.

Poco today showed he's not good enough and sidwell.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
i would offer Sidwell two years, to allow him to see out his career. he's not top draw but he is experienced and has a certain presence and attitude, one of the "five to go to war in the tunnel" that we'll be needing for the coming seasons.

A two year contract is far too long to be offering to any outfield player who is 34.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Right, now the season has reached a conclusion it's now time for the ins and outs required for us to be competitive in the top tier. For me personally...

Goalkeepers-
Stockdale- Offer him a 2 year contract, won us points this season but needs strong competition next year
Maenpaa- Feel sorry for the lad as I rate him as a decent keeper but we need a real contender for the number 1 jersey next year

Sorry, didn't bother reading beyond your dumb analysis of the goalkeeping position. Maenpaa would be #1 in just about any other Championship club. Superb keeper, and no idea why he seems content to sit his club level career on the bench here, other than he's an established international keeper that's more than happy with the money. Should Stockdale decide to move on, we've already got a Premier League Ready #1 on our books. IMHO, like.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Sorry, didn't bother reading beyond your dumb analysis of the goalkeeping position. Maenpaa would be #1 in just about any other Championship club. Superb keeper, and no idea why he seems content to sit his club level career on the bench here, other than he's an established international keeper that's more than happy with the money. Should Stockdale decide to move on, we've already got a Premier League Ready #1 on our books. IMHO, like.

We've seen him play one league game and a handful of cup games competitively, how you can be sure he is ready for the Premier League is baffling imo but to each his own. If Hughton rated him that highly he would have kept his place in the team after he kept a clean sheet vs Rotherham I would have thought, but perhaps my analysis is 'dumb'...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We've seen him play one league game and a handful of cup games competitively, how you can be sure he is ready for the Premier League is baffling imo but to each his own. If Hughton rated him that highly he would have kept his place in the team after he kept a clean sheet vs Rotherham I would have thought, but perhaps my analysis is 'dumb'...

Lad's got 28 full international caps for his country (Finland). Have you ever watched him in the warm-up at the Amex? Sharp as a pin and an absolute credit to himself and the club and the club's full-on goalkeeping band of brothers. Top professional. IMHO, like.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Skalak,Bong,Norwood not good enough,LuLu will go as will O'Grady,I think Stockdale will leave and also Maenpa,Stephens looks set to go,fair few need replacing there,Hughton's got His work cut out this summer but we'll be ok.[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Lad's got 28 full international caps for his country (Finland). Have you ever watched him in the warm-up at the Amex? Sharp as a pin and an absolute credit to himself and the club and the club's full-on goalkeeping band of brothers. Top professional. IMHO, like.

He's always looked an excellent shot stopper to me, better than Stockdale in fact IMO, but if he isn't getting games even when Stockdale isn't fully fit Hughton must not rate him in one way or another. Maybe his distribution is poor?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Need new keeper, RB, LB , CM , Striker and winger to replace Skalak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's always looked an excellent shot stopper to me, better than Stockdale in fact IMO, but if he isn't getting games even when Stockdale isn't fully fit Hughton must not rate him in one way or another. Maybe his distribution is poor?

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But I'd wager good money that CH can't believe his good fortune that Mäenpää has chosen to stick around and warm the bench.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without some incoming signings we will struggle. The doubts in my mind that may need replacing are Bong/Pocognoli. Sidwell, Norwood, Skalak Murphy and Hemed as all will only be squad players if we are to avoid relegation.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Would go along with most of that, think March will be good enough for the bench though.

Agreed and IMO has been a game changer when he has been brought on as a sub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here