Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's defensive tactics

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Norwich fans moaned about them, admittedly we haven't seen many adverse affects in his time here, but 11vs10 1-0 up in the last match of the season with a chance to win the Championship and we stack 11 men behind the ball instead of pushing for a 2nd, against a team with nothing to play for. Doesn't omen well for next year...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Norwich fans moaned about them, admittedly we haven't seen many adverse affects in his time here, but 11vs10 1-0 up in the last match of the season with a chance to win the Championship and we stack 11 men behind the ball instead of pushing for a 2nd, against a team with nothing to play for. Doesn't omen well for next year...
He does that every match though and even Preston scored with 10 men....Don't get it personally but we've certainly held on 95% of the time :)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He does that every match though and even Preston scored with 10 men....Don't get it personally but we've certainly held on 95% of the time :)

It will be a lot lower percentage if we try to do it in the prem against higher caliber players.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We are not Norwich.
Don't forget, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Chris hughton :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
****ing hell not even finished the season and people on the managers case. God it's going to be grim on here next season

The defensive manager who saw us automatically promoted get a grip

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Mucks about with the team vs Norwich and Bristol City and then when 1-0 vs 10 men decides to sit back and invite them on when we should be getting at them and pinning them in their half. Done brilliant to get us promoted but **** me why doesn't he like to just go and get the ****ing win.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

I think we had 3/4 chances for the 2nd. Should of taken them. It was a speculative effort and it's gone in. It happens. Don't think he was defensive. We're still playing 4-4-2 till the end.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am convinced that if the other team went down to 1 man (if it was allowed) we would still be under pressure for the last ten minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As soon as the goal was scored I doubt Hughton had much to do with the entire team wanting to be behind the ball, and hoping of a second on the break.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I am not happy that we sat back but he didn't change the lineup and made straight changes. I am pissed off that we sat back but may not have been CH instruction. The players should have taken their earlier chances and Stockdale shouldn't have let the shot in.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With big investment this summer, we'll be fine. His counter attacking style will work, with better players at that level. The football under CH over the last 28 months has far more often than not been the best I've seen by the club since the late 70's.

You have to remember that on spending/wages, we should be about 7th or 8th in the Championship. We are up against scum like Villa and Massive who throw endless £10m's at trying to buy promotion, at a more profligate level than us. So CH worked out a style to get us winning the vast majority of games. It worked, we got promoted.

If we don't invest on quality this summer in many positions, we will definitely be relegated next spring.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You can't plan defensive tactics against a basic goalkeeping error from a shot outside the box.

Such a shame for Stockdale - he'd had a perfect game up to then and had kept us in the match.

For his sake, I really hope it's not going to be one of the those career-defining moments at the Albion similar to Gordon Smith.

As a person that we saw after Shoreham and an Albion player, Stockdale deserves so much more.

He'll remember it long after it's become just another footnote in Albion's long history.

Horribly unfair, but that's football.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
we've won TWENTY EIGHT games this season FFS.

****ing hell not even finished the season and people on the managers case. God it's going to be grim on here next season

The defensive manager who saw us automatically promoted get a grip

I'm not denying we have got the results this season but I'm pointing out that if we can't hold a lead against a 10 man Villa side, Hughton should not employ this same defensive tactics in the Premier League or we will get taken apart.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Nerves got to Stockdale I think, after some great saves. That Murray, Baldock chance would have finished the game. Just unlucky really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here