Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm so sorry. It was all my fault..........

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
So there I was, a young lass in a sleepy Cotswold village in 1983, when I was told the family was moving to Sussex. Brighton, in fact. A bit scary, a big adventure. In those days, one of the highlights of the year was FA Cup Final day, a bit like Christmas, where we gathered around the TV with a few drinks. No regular football on the TV. No Sky. Just Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

1983. Brighton were in the FA Cup Final and they were in the First Division. Wow, this would be good. I could have my own team to follow and support. I was so excited as I loved football, a bit unusual for a female back then, and the fact that they lost the Cup Final and also were relegated didn’t matter.

In July 1983, we moved down and I started my love affair with the Albion. Over the years I’ve made good friends, met and married a fellow fan, served numerous pints to some of you in the Hove Park Tavern, laughed and cried, sang myself hoarse and was at the game that secured the return to the top flight.

So why is it my fault? I forgot to say. I’m moving away. In June. To Australia. To join my daughter who was a Junior Seagull back in the day. Who got up at 2.30 am last weekend to watch the game with a few other Seagulls Downunder in the pub.

To answer a question I’ve heard recently, I was there when we were sh1t, but I won’t be there now we’re back at the top.

Well, not in body but a little piece of my heart will remain. Forever.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Your work is done.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You have helped steer the good ship Albion through some very stormy waters and now you can depart, happy and content that we are in safe hands and sailing much calmer seas. The ship took a fearful buffetting at times and came very close to sinking but there was a resilient crew on board, who never gave up working to keep her afloat. We lost some valiant crew members along the way and we would have loved to have seen them all, happy and smiling when we docked on Easter Monday. But they will always be in our hearts just like the Albion will always be in your heart. Once you get the Albion in your blood, you bleed blue and white for the rest of your life.
Fly the flag for us Down Under and good luck.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Another one here. Knew we wouldn't win at Middlesbrough because, at that point, we'd been unable to sell the house. Figured that as soon as our move away (to Spain in my case) happened, we'd go up. House sale duly completed five days after the Wigan game. Currently temporarily at Mum's, leaving in mid June. So after 30+ years of holding a season ticket, being there through the absolute worst of it, campaigning, being at Hereford, going to Gillingham, watching us fight back at Withdean, now we're finally back in the top flight, I'll be abroad. So I despite my protestations on an earlier thread that I wouldn't believe it 'til it actually happened, part of me knew it would.

Will be there for the first home game of the season no matter what happens. Am keeping the season ticket and a mate will take my place when I'm not in the country, which will be most of the time. Don't tell Mrs Herne Hill...

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
And so you should be!

If you had chosen to support Palace, they would have been through the abject misery you have put us through.

PS Take two irony tablets before reading this

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Funny thing I have done and did the exact same thing apart from I'm now in Ramsgate..... I thought it was my fault, still have a son and daughter in the area though.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
What can I say? Thank you for all your lovely comments. Some made me cry. Some made me realise it's not all my fault, there are others of you in a similar situation. One made me laugh out loud!

Whatever the future holds, I will miss the UK. I will miss friends and family. I will miss the Amex.

But, none of this compares to how much I miss my grandson. I missed his first birthday but I'll be there in time for his second.

Petunia x

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good luck Petunia.

Please let us know if you come back, there's money to be made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here