Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50k a week

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Doesn't guarantee you an average premier league player anymore - according to Harry redknap

It's rumoured Tammy Abraham is on 28k & on the back of this season, Chelsea are going to double his wages.

Mental money

Given our wage structures - what's the chances of getting in the right players to help the squad to make it next year

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We had the 9th highest wage bill in the Championship, and still got promotion, so, it's not how much you pay, it's how much value you get.

edit: and possibly the Championship.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trust Tony. He knows what he's doing moneywise, and the 'support team' know what they are doing, talentspottingwise.

I'm quite impressed with Tottingham - recently got almost of all of their big players to sign anew, on contracts half of what they might get elsewhere (#teamtogetherandallthatbollocks).

We'll be fine - and I am sooooo excited about how we will build our squad!!!!!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Doesn't guarantee you an average premier league player anymore - according to Harry redknap

It's rumoured Tammy Abraham is on 28k & on the back of this season, Chelsea are going to double his wages.

Mental money

Given our wage structures - what's the chances of getting in the right players to help the squad to make it next year

How could you possibly know what to the Albions wage structure is now, let alone what it will be next season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the many reasons I wonder why posters are so keen to ship out contracted players from a squad with obvious holes in it.

Every player (re)signed will be on a comparatively eye watering amounts of money.
Not to mention the recent contract signees, Dunk, AK & Kayal.

Why would anyone want to make that financial hit even bigger by deciding to replace the likes of Skalak, Murphy, Norwood etc etc?

If IF the club were still in the Premier League in 3 seasons time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dunk & Duffy were the only 2 players left, but that kind of change isn't happening in the space of 3 months.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Mental money

It does, it really does.

The blokes mental

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Mental money

Chelsea are known for stupid wages for kids, they had some young Danish player on 30k a week a few seasons ago. Common thought appeared to be he's never be good enough for their first team. Where is the incentive to push on and possibly seek a drop down a division or two to get regular football if you can earn £1.5 million a year as a teenager without ever getting near the first team?

Edit - it was Andreas Christensen who has now made 1 league cup appearance and spent the last two seasons on loan at Borussia Monchengladbach where he has seen quite a lot of first team action. Still that much money as a teenager is ridiculous.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Mental money

It's difficult to give a specific where it becomes unacceptable, and I know about the argument that says it all comes from the TV money anyway, but yes, I can see a point where I'd prefer my team to limit wages, and to hell with getting players who won't get out of bed for less than£100K.
It is getting ridiculous. I mean, what is a 'fair' wage - £20K a week not very much? That's a million quid a year, ffs!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Why? That's absolutely batshit mental. What do they gain by doubling his wages? Was he going somewhere else if they didn't double his wages? Since he's nowhere near their first team at the moment, would it be so bad for Chelsea if he did go elsewhere? And if/when it turns out that he's not going to be some kind of galactico who can justify megabucks, he'll be on their books on millions a year and they won't be able to offload him - he'll be able to refuse offers to go elsewhere for lower wages, and can just sit there watching the money pile up.
It's mental - he'd have probably been quite happy if they paid him half of that (and he'd still be a very lucky boy!); doubling it? :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Incidentally in 1983 we allegedly had the highest wage bill in the country. Is that correct? And bonkers long contracts too. Ludicrous and tragic if true. Different story now - no hardship to be part of this set up, as opposed to the recipients of endless sneering, as we were back then, I would argue.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Chelsea are known for stupid wages for kids, they had some young Danish player on 30k a week a few seasons ago. Common thought appeared to be he's never be good enough for their first team. Where is the incentive to push on and possibly seek a drop down a division or two to get regular football if you can earn £1.5 million a year as a teenager without ever getting near the first team?

Edit - it was Andreas Christensen who has now made 1 league cup appearance and spent the last two seasons on loan at Borussia Monchengladbach where he has seen quite a lot of first team action. Still that much money as a teenager is ridiculous.

You know Christensen would fetch around £30m or more in the transfer market now though, right?

It's not about incentive, it's about motivation. Christensen clearly has it, as he's shown in Germany over the last two years. The likelihood is that next year he'll come back and play fairly regularly for Chelski.

Unfortunately, you've used an absolutely awful example to make your point. I'd suggest, from how Abraham has performed this year as well, he'd be another that is motivated irrespective of the money on offer.

Now if you'd wanted to make your point more effectively, you could've just used our very own Chuba Akpom.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You know Christensen would fetch around £30m or more in the transfer market now though, right?

It's not about incentive, it's about motivation. Christensen clearly has it, as he's shown in Germany over the last two years. The likelihood is that next year he'll come back and play fairly regularly for Chelski.

Unfortunately, you've used an absolutely awful example to make your point. I'd suggest, from how Abraham has performed this year as well, he'd be another that is motivated irrespective of the money on offer.

Now if you'd wanted to make your point more effectively, you could've just used our very own Chuba Akpom.

He might fetch 30 million now but Chelsea were already paying him 30k a week at 17/18 and the articles written about him then said he was a long way off first team action. His two years at Borussia Monchengladbach have obviously improved him no end and he will have a career but 30k a week at 17 is stupid.

I'd say Chelsea doubling Abrahams wages based on 1 good championship season is ridiculous too despite the fact they will have no end of suitors should they want to sell. It shows how stupid footballers wages have become if someone can earn that much long before they have got anywhere in the game and it certainly reduces the desire of some of these young players as they are millionaires by 20 and don't have to worry if they never make it.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He might fetch 30 million now but Chelsea were already paying him 30k a week at 17/18 and the articles written about him then said he was a long way off first team action. His two years at Borussia Monchengladbach have obviously improved him no end and he will have a career but 30k a week at 17 is stupid.

I'd say Chelsea doubling Abrahams wages based on 1 good championship season is ridiculous too despite the fact they will have no end of suitors should they want to sell. It shows how stupid footballers wages have become if someone can earn that much long before they have got anywhere in the game and it certainly reduces the desire of some of these young players as they are millionaires by 20 and don't have to worry if they never make it.

Oh, sorry, I see you're trying to ground football in reality.

Unfortunately, it isn't grounded as such. And consequently, the rules of supply and demand work on a more extreme level. You wanna know why they're doubling his wages off of one good Championship season? It's for the very reason you've offered - because if they don't, someone else will.

The same logic, in all likelihood would have applied to Christensen when he first arrived. You pay him what he's demanding or he goes elsewhere to someone that will. And as he's proving, he's basically the cream of the crop for his age - and the cream always rises to the top. So you either pay what they want, or you don't and someone else does. Look at the example of Liverpool and Dele Alli...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't we already pay up to £30k a week? Sure it was speculated on here that Dunk is.

I'm sure the players and their agents are readily telling anyone who wants to know what they're earning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't overpay, pocket the cash and build slowly, no room for premadonnas at the Albion

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Don't we already pay up to £30k a week? Sure it was speculated on here that Dunk is.

No and he's not.
You can see the average first team wage in the accounts and in order for one or more players to be on that kind of figure, the rest of the squad would average about £8-9k a week. Which they definitely don't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here