Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest Southern farce

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Just had an email from them saying that from the start of the new timetable, there will be no trains out of Victoria after midnight, Sunday to Thursday. I get the impression that they'll extend a couple of Thameslinks from Three Bridges to Brighton, but if you live on the Coastway West or East then you're buggered if you want a midweek trip to the theatre, etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There never used to be under British Rail. We managed to get from Derby & Norwich to London late night back from away games but then had to sleep at Vic or Gatwick. It became standard procedure!

These back to fronts are going to cut any service they can and I'd rather it was these than regular commuter services or our match day service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There never used to be under British Rail. We managed to get from Derby & Norwich to London late night back from away games but then had to sleep at Vic or Gatwick. It became standard procedure!

These back to fronts are going to cut any service they can and I'd rather it was these than regular commuter services or our match day service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working night trains between London-Gatwick-Brighton in the early 80's, it was an hourly service through the night then. Then it got curtailed to just the 1am and 4am and now they've switched it to Thameslink so they can do engineering works without causing too much disruption (hopefully)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how many are there now? Eastbourne has one at 00:05. i'm more bothered by the lack of trains in the two hours before midnight, dont risk staying out in London past about 8-8:30.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
As far as I can work out, it will mean that the last train to Lewes and the east is 2247, which is quite frankly an absolute pisstake.

Jul 7, 2003
As far as I can work out, it will mean that the last train to Lewes and the east is 2247, which is quite frankly an absolute pisstake.

Which would be the same for Coastway west then as it is usually the split train.

For years I seem to remember the last train to Worthing was 23:59 before being put back to 00:05 a while ago.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Crikey, we've not had a train leave Victoria after 10:30pm down the Arun valley line for years.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How ridiculous. Just when tubes start running 24 hr services southern put a stop to staying no later in London than 12.05 a.m.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just had an email from them saying that from the start of the new timetable, there will be no trains out of Victoria after midnight, Sunday to Thursday. I get the impression that they'll extend a couple of Thameslinks from Three Bridges to Brighton, but if you live on the Coastway West or East then you're buggered if you want a midweek trip to the theatre, etc.

Far from me to defend Southern - but isn't this down to Network Rail and out of their control ?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
so nothing is actually changing?

For the Victoria to Worthing/Eastbourne service, no. For Brighton line, what is changing is that the 1am and 4am Vic to Brighton are cancelled. There is an extra 01:05 from Blackfriars to Brighton to compensate and there already was an 04:05 and 04:35 from Blackfriars, which are both retained. Obviously its less convenient, as Blackfriars has much poorer tube and nightbus links than Vic. On the other hand you can also pick these trains up at St Pancras 11 mins earlier.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Yes, makes midweek away games in London very difficult for those of us in the west of the county.

The latest one is on a Saturday, and it's still only 1115pm

Yes, I live in Chi and the lack of decent late trains back from Victoria is right pain. Alteratives are mad dash for 22:32, paying an arm and leg for SWT route via Havant with taxi back on the last leg, leaving car somewhere en route with a decent service and sober drive home or as a last resort National Express from Gatwick to Chi. This is still a better choice than people in Arundel or Litllehampton have.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In the 30s and 40s you could travel overnight on trains all over the country. Everything else has gone 24/7, it's fitting that just about the only things that haven't are unions and government. Perhaps we should be aiming for a 18/6 train network to begin with?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The main effect of this is that the 00.05 will now be even more rammed than it often is. Especially when they send 4 pissing carriages.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The main effect of this is that the 00.05 will now be even more rammed than it often is. Especially when they send 4 pissing carriages.
hanha yes that's the other side to current 'services'. May run. May run on time. Left half the people who wanted to board on the platform mind and the other half asphyxiated on arrival but hey, the stats look good...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here