Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of the current squad do you think might surprise us next season?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Teams get promoted, the star players sometimes show their skills, sometimes they don't.

I'll be interested to see how Knockaert, for example, fares at the higher level. Or Dunk. Both have been touted as potential Premier League quality for ages.

But in every team that goes up, there's usually a player who flourishes unexpectedly. Somebody who's not previously been noticed as much as the key names. Bournemouth have a few players that you'd have expected to be jettisoned before now, but who have gone on to establish themselves. Somebody like Leon Brittain at Swansea, who everyone thought would be left behind when they bought new men in, but who's still there years later.

Have we got any of those? What about somebody like Baldock? Very good technically, has had a sound enough season anyway without the outside world really noticing him (perhaps they would have done if he'd been fit more often). Could the Premier League suit his style??

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm interested to see all of them. We have a very inexperienced squad at the top level so it's really all to play for.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Agree totally about Baldrick. Hopefully the runs he makes will serve him well, in addition to creating space for others. A good finisher too (Barnsley was especially glorious).

Whatever happened to that slightly similar style Barnes chap, did he make it at the top level?

There are one or two 'high profile' players I have severe reservations about with regards to the step up.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I would still love Richie Towell to surprise us with 15 goals from midfield in the Premier League, but I'll admit it is unlikely.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If he's part of our 25 man squad, perhaps Jiri Skalak. Probably on my own on that one but the question was about a surprise. His strength is his delivery rather than his ability to beat a man. Where someone like Knockaert may be less effective if he can't beat his fullback someone like Skalak should get the opportunity to put a good ball in.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would go with Baldock too as good movement seems to be key in the PL. I would also really like to keep Tomori as a centre back with pace could be crucial.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Chris O'Grady and Elvis Manu. Back from their loan spells and they rip PL defences to shreds as we storm to the title.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
March although may not be a massive surprise. Think he will find more time in the PL where he is 1 v 1 against a full back and with his pace and trickery think he will do really well. Reminds me a bit if Redmond at Southampton in this respects

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Uwe. I think he could very well end up being one of our first choice CBs by the end of the year.

I think one of Hughtons "nicer" problems he will have next season is (assuming Goldson makes a full recovery) how to keep 4 CBs happy over a season. I would be quite happy with almost any pairing.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
No idea why really, but can see Hemed coming in due to injuries to our first choice strikers and banging in 20 goals to keep us up

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Was taking to a guy at work about this earlier.

I wouldn't, but assume many would, be surprised to see Hemed really make a mark. I just have a weird feeling that he will do really well in the Prem.

Also, would love to see Jamie Murphy play well and surprise people. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he left during the summer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here