Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Chelsea '83 photos

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I came across these photos of the match that I've never seen before. Probably bring back a few memories for some of the oldies.

fuc9l2.jpg

j7z0k5.jpg

This one is of Chelsea fans at Hove Station.

21c5smq.jpg

There's some more really tasty photos involving Derby, Chelsea, Leeds, Arsenal, Spurs on the link: http://flashbak.com/police-and-british-football-hooligans-1980-to-1990-3119/

Also on the same site are a few pics of the 1981 August Bank Holiday London to Brighton Lambretta rally. This one in particular of some mods being kept in a cage at Brighton station is a new one on me.

1qheus.jpg

http://flashbak.com/mods-in-a-cage-and-police-on-the-a23-to-brighton-the-1981-lambretta-rally-22800/

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Great pics . I remember the Chelsea game like it was yesterday . Think the top pic is Millwall at Luton .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Remember that game well, in the pub after a vertically and physically challenged Chelsea supporter decided to take on my mate Kevin, Kevin's nickname was The Honey Monster, he was huge with loads of blonde hair.
The result was always inevitable but was amusing to watch, didn't take long either.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Remember that game well, in the pub after a vertically and physically challenged Chelsea supporter decided to take on my mate Kevin, Kevin's nickname was The Honey Monster, he was huge with loads of blonde hair.
The result was always inevitable but was amusing to watch, didn't take long either.

So big Kev survived, did he?

As for the sites descriptions, they're a bit dodgy. It definitely wasn't a 'London to Brighton Lambretta rally", it was just mods/skins etc turning up at random seaside resorts. The mod/scooter runs didn't become organised until a few years later.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was the match at the Goldstone was the one where Chris Hutchings was arrested and ended up being fined by a judge? We then signed him a few months later for £50k and he became the first choice left back for a few years.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion v Chelsea in '83 was my very first match as a season-ticket holder, having been bought it as a present by my parents in order to obtain a Cup Final ticket.

Quite an introduction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ha. I was at this game.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
no mention of the policeman who was hit by the falling crossbar, never recovered and subsequently died of depression-related illness !!!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Was the match at the Goldstone was the one where Chris Hutchings was arrested and ended up being fined by a judge? We then signed him a few months later for £50k and he became the first choice left back for a few years.

Was warming up on the touchline in front the North West Terrace and giving it large to the crowd if I recall correctly .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I think Joey Jones was behaving in a similar manner.

Yeah , I am sure your are right there , was a depressing afternoon all round .

I may be wrong but I believe that the Chelsea team of that era started the trend to routinely applaud the fans after the final whistle .

This pic is from the away fixture programme . Looks like the North East corner .

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 514

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah , I am sure your are right there , was a depressing afternoon all round .

I may be wrong but I believe that the Chelsea team of that era started the trend to routinely applaud the fans after the final whistle .

This pic is from the away fixture programme . Looks like the North East corner .

Yes, Chelseas, and Hutchings in particular, started the clapping the fans behaviour. I know it may sound a bit needy, but when Hutchings then joined the Albion and started doing it, it did make a difference to the fans, especially on away trips on those days.

That home kit, whilst it may upset the traditionalists, was one of my favourites.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here