Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KODI.... Kodi users could get TEN years in prison because of controversial new law

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Using the popular Kodi box to stream pirated movies could land you TEN years behind bars.
A controversial new law means it DOES infringe on existing copyright laws if you use the device to watch pirated shows.
Last week the Digital Economy Act received Royal Assent, meaning it officially passes into law with the maximum prison term increased from two years to ten.
This now means that watching a stream of Game of Thrones because you don’t have Sky is more than likely going to be fine, but according to the law, you are still a criminal.
Kieron Sharp, the CEO of FACT , told Mirror Tech that the copyright measures included in the bill are primarily targeted at those committing a serious offense. Anyone "making a business" out of selling illegal content could potentially face up to ten years rather than two.*
Those who casually stream a couple of movies every once in a while are extremely unlikely to be prosecuted to such extremes, he said.
"For minor matters, nothing changes," he said. "But it should hopefully provide a little bit of clarity."
What does the law state?
Regardless of the practicalities of enforcing the bill, the Act does mean those using streaming services or torrents to watch copyrighted material are - under the letter of the law - criminals.
As the Open Rights Group notes, Clause 27 of the Act states that criminal liability is to be determined by "causing loss" and "risk of loss" to the owner of the copyright.
This is defined as merely failing to pay a licence fee, so ordinary people engaged in domestic "filesharing" on a non-commercial basis could potentially find themselves facing long jail sentences.
Mr Sharp added that the casual streamer is likely to be threatened with a six month suspended sentence and a costly fee at the most.
However, at some point, an example could be made by prosecuting a casual user.
"At some point, someone who is illegally streaming is going to get caught. Although it's not our wish to go after the end user," he said.
The fight against Kodi continues Kodi continues to cause numerous problems for broadcasters as it easily offers access to illegally distributed content.
Law enforcement agencies are trying to crackdown on people who sell TV streaming devices prepacked with Kodi addons also.
Selling these "fully loaded" TV set-top devices is a breach of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988.
In December 2016, Terry O'Reilly was sentenced to four years imprisonment for selling illegal set-top TV boxes, a prosecution brought by the Premier League with support from FACT.
Then, in March, Malcolm Mayes, from Hartlepool, was sentenced to ten months in prison (suspended for one year) and ordered to pay costs of £170,000.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting but will it just follow the trend set by music downloading where only those downloading a huge number of tracks ended up in court.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
That's not what it says / is meant. The article is confused & contradicts itself.

What is meant is those providing streaming services could face up to 10 years. Not those streaming content.

Sensationalist nonsense / headlines again

Edit: I've now read the article. & it does make sense but I stick to my view, people accessing content will not prosecuted

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
That's not what it says / is meant. The article is confused & contradicts itself.

What is meant is those providing streaming services could face up to 10 years. Not those streaming content.

Sensationalist nonsense / headlines again
Yes, saw this yesterday and a non story really unless you're streaming them

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm sure the police have better things to do than kick down the door of someone watching a moody stream

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure the police have better things to do than kick down the door of someone watching a moody stream

That depends on how big the fines are. :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I went to the Odeon on a rainy evening to see a film. I bought my ticket, a medium popcorn and a medium pop. The cost for this, for one person? £17.80

It's their own ****ing fault people pirate their piece of shit films.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
They'll never stop it. It's quite simple. If you make good quality things easily accessible and reasonably priced, people are more than happy to spend their money. See App Store, Netflix, Spotify etc.

Which is why it's great to see the EFL taking steps. I would have gladly paid for this if a) Brighton were still a lowly Football League club, and b) we weren't so ****ing brilliant that we were always being shown live anyway.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/201...3898.aspx?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No-one who watches streams will be prosecuted.

Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They'll never stop it. It's quite simple. If you make good quality things easily accessible and reasonably priced, people are more than happy to spend their money. See App Store, Netflix, Spotify etc.

Which is why it's great to see the EFL taking steps. I would have gladly paid for this if a) Brighton were still a lowly Football League club, and b) we weren't so ****ing brilliant that we were always being shown live anyway.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/201...3898.aspx?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

They will stop it eventually using watermarking.

At some point every subscriber will be viewing the picture either over or with something that injects an invisible and unique pattern into the picture that effectively identifies the subscriber.

If that pattern appears within a stream online they will simply cut it off at source.

Technology is already being used. Say a recorded programme/film is being distributed around the industry before official release (for example to get dubbed into a foreign language) they are often watermarked.

Doesn't stop it getting online, but if it does it's easy to trace where it came from.

But that's a recording, apply that to a live event they simply suspend the account, investigate later.

Get's cracked ? They simply update the software sending the signal or receiving it. You can't access the channel without the latest software.

Yes the odd thing may get through for a number of years but eventually it will be almost impossible if they choose to distribute that way.

However I agree. Make it affordable and people will prob buy anyway.

Don't know why anyone bothers with the dodge Sky streams anyway. Get a NowTv or Roku box and you get a day of the channel for £6.99 left.

£7 per game seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They will stop it eventually using watermarking.

At some point every subscriber will be viewing the picture either over or with something that injects an invisible and unique pattern into the picture that effectively identifies the subscriber.

If that pattern appears within a stream online they will simply cut it off at source.

Technology is already being used. Say a recorded programme/film is being distributed around the industry before official release (for example to get dubbed into a foreign language) they are often watermarked.

Doesn't stop it getting online, but if it does it's easy to trace where it came from.

But that's a recording, apply that to a live event they simply suspend the account, investigate later.

Get's cracked ? They simply update the software sending the signal or receiving it. You can't access the channel without the latest software.

Yes the odd thing may get through for a number of years but eventually it will be almost impossible if they choose to distribute that way.

However I agree. Make it affordable and people will prob buy anyway.

Don't know why anyone bothers with the dodge Sky streams anyway. Get a NowTv or Roku box and you get a day of the channel for £6.99 left.

£7 per game seems reasonable to me.

Though i'm not fan of Sky, Nowtv is good value and does the job

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is popular and the price will rise.

If it's popular the price will probably fall.

I haven't got a "NowTV" box - I've got the "grown up" version - a Roku box with NowTv. The subsidised Sky Version is locked down.

I've got

1) Amazon Prime (had that anyway cos I order so much stuff off there)
2) Netflix
3) IPlayer - tend to use the "restart programme feature"
4) ITV Player (never watch ITV)
5) Channel Five Player
6) Channel Four Player (sometimes)
7) NowTV - as mentioned. One day of Sky for 6.99 or the monthly subscription which I've now cancelled.

It's perfect for me. Why anyone bothers with dodgy sky streams I have no idea. TV does have to be paid for even if that's through the licence fee or subscription.

I have a basic Sky subscription which the other half likes but I would get rid of tomorrow. We watch most TV in the Kitchen with Freeview HD and my NowTV box.

I've had Sky Sport on subscription for 30 quid a month for a few months and now cancelled. If only BT Sport got their arse in gear and placed it on there pay per view it's a one stop shop.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Whilst all of the focus here is on Kodi boxes it is worth remembering that this will also apply to all those who stream from the web on match days, not just those who use kodi.

Also, up until recently if you were caught streaming it was a civil offence. Now under the Digital Economy Act which has had royal ascent it will become a criminal offence so if you were to get caught you'll end up with a criminal record even if you don't end up in prison. You're going to have to explain every time you go for a job for example you have a criminal record and anywhere else that asks for it.

I'd be asking any sitting MP who knocks on your door in the next few weeks how they voted on this and what the **** they were thinking about if they voted for it. Don't even get me started on the Investigatory Powers Act which has subsequently been ruled as illegal by the European courts.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
My word. If you are caught 'uploading' illegally obtained entertainment (pictures/music) you face up to ten years.
NO ONE can track your viewing/listening of said content without court papers giving permission.
Watch what you want. Listen to what you want . You will NOT get ten years.'

Tawdry scare tactics and the 'express' has been paid the most to put the scare message across.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont know why the fuss, or the attempt to drum up drama from the media, the law applies to someone who "infringes copyright in a work by communicating the work to the public". downloading/streaming is not communicating to the public.

you should be more worried about uploading old videos or tracks to Youtube than watching Kodi.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
dont know why the fuss, or the attempt to drum up drama from the media, the law applies to someone who "infringes copyright in a work by communicating the work to the public". downloading/streaming is not communicating to the public.

you should be more worried about uploading old videos or tracks to Youtube than watching Kodi.

Yes but there is something in there that now regards watching a stream as copyright infringement when it was a bit murky before.

Feel a bit sorry for Kodi. Their name is all over the news but they don't make the boxes. Just provide media player software.

Expect them to introduce DRM software and have iplayer and Netflix apps on their soon.

There really isn't much an argument to watch Sky matches on there or movies beyond I can't be bothered to pay. There are loads of alternatives to subscription these days.

Not that I'm a huge advocate for huge international media conglomerates, but loads of people lost their jobs in the music industry when technology meant it was available for free. It's usually the low paid ones that go first.

Whatever industry you work in imagine there is a means for getting your product for nothing because someone was simply copying it.

You'd be pissed off too.

There is a misconception that everyone who works in the media industry is loaded and can loose a few bob. The reality on the whole is that many jobs are quite badly paid (many can't get a full time position) and the industry also has a terrible reputation for "internship".

As a moral rule of thumb if it isn't available and there is a stream then that's the fault of the football authorities. The ban on 3 o'clock kick offs is wildly old dated. If they are worried about the effect on lower league football distribute the money downstairs.

If a game is available for £6.99 then buy it.

Oh and BT sport. Make your games available pay per view. EVEN Sky do that :)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I went to the Odeon on a rainy evening to see a film. I bought my ticket, a medium popcorn and a medium pop. The cost for this, for one person? £17.80

It's their own ****ing fault people pirate their piece of shit films.
While I agree that it's a ridiculous price to have to pay, I can't imagine running a cinema is cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here