Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another rule change - This time penalty shootouts

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39798344

Penalty shootouts in football could be transformed to make them fairer under new plans being looked at by Uefa.

The sport's European governing body is already trialling a new way for penalties to be taken in decisive shootouts.

Instead of teams alternating spot-kicks, Uefa is considering a new system similar to the tie-break in tennis.

The system is being tried out at the European Under-17 Championship, which began in Croatia on Wednesday.

What makes the perfect World Cup shootout penalty?

How does it work?

As it stands, teams take turns in a shootout, with the choice of who goes first decided by a coin toss.

For example, team A goes first, then team B, then team A again.

The new system is called 'ABBA' and sees team A followed by team B - before team B goes again. Team A would then get two successive penalties, and so on until there is a winner.

A coin will still be tossed to decide who goes first.

Why is a change needed?

The idea is to stop the team going second having to always, potentially, play catch-up. The sport's rule-making body, Ifab, approved the trial after looking at research it says proves the team taking the first penalty have an unfair advantage as they win 60% of shootouts.

"The hypothesis is that the player taking the second kick in the pair is under greater mental pressure," said Uefa.

The system is also being trialled at the women's European Under-17 Championship, which began in the Czech Republic on Tuesday.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Penalty shootouts in football could be transformed to make them fairer under new plans being looked at by Uefa.

The sport's European governing body is already trialling a new way for penalties to be taken in decisive shootouts.

Instead of teams alternating spot-kicks, Uefa is considering a new system similar to the tie-break in tennis.

The system is being tried out at the European Under-17 Championship, which began in Croatia on Wednesday.

How does it work?

As it stands, teams take turns in a shootout, with the choice of who goes first decided by a coin toss.

The new system is called 'ABBA' and sees team A followed by team B - before team B goes again. Team A would then get two successive penalties, and so on until there is a winner.

Why is a change needed?

The idea is to stop the team going second having to always, potentially, play catch-up. The sport's rule-making body, Ifab, approved the trial after looking at research it says proves the team taking the first penalty have an unfair advantage as they win 60% of shootouts.

"The hypothesis is that the player taking the second kick in the pair is under greater mental pressure," said Uefa.

The system is also being trialled at the women's European Under-17 Championship, which began in the Czech Republic on Tuesday.

Voulez Vous [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] I think you'll be penalised for that unitended pun :)

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

How does it work?

Why is a change needed?

The winner takes it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have no idea what this has to do with me.

Re the penalties though, it's a great idea.

Hi [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], my apologies, I've seen my mistake, I was supposed to quote Stat Bro, and not yourself.
Have not slept after coming off nights this morning, so not all there, as per usual :bowdown::thumbsup:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The winner takes it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Depends on the man in the middle when all is said and done, unless the goalkeeper lets it slip through his fingers but that's just the name of the game

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some terrible Abba references [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]....Does your mother know? :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
makes a change from UEFA being about the money, money, money.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Are we also going to change ends after the 1st 6 penalties as some research shows taking penalties in front of your own fans gives an advantage?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Are we also going to change ends after the 1st 6 penalties as some research shows taking penalties in front of your own fans gives an advantage?

Why not just have a team at either end, both in front of their own fans, the ref overseeing at one end, his assistant at the other.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why not just have a team at either end, both in front of their own fans, the ref overseeing at one end, his assistant at the other.

Or make the ref run from one end to the other-after all, it was probably one of his bonehead decisions that led to penalties...

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Actually I really like the idea of the new ABBA system and teams taking penalties at both ends!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gimme Gimme Gimme a penalty shoot-out before golden goal any day.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So it makes the first penalty much less important which will only lead to players squabbling.
'Who wants to take the first penalty'
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie, I do, I do I do, Take a chance on me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here