Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paris Advice: The "Paris Pass"

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Off to Paris for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and I've been looking at the Paris Pass. At 135 Euro each for a 2 day pass, I'm wondering if they are worth it?

I see it also includes Metro travel, but has anyone used one and is it worth it?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Don't do it.

I went in February for a long weekend with my wife and it was fantastic. We did 3 days of full on tourism, including the tower, Versailles, Louvre, Notre Dame, The Arc and more.

We were EXHAUSTED and had been busy the whole time, jumping on and off the metro and going out to Versailles. There is no way we even got near to the cost of the 2 or 3 day paris pass.

Do it all individually. The tower, you don't need to book in advance. Just turn up and queue for a bit. Don't be convinced that the pass is the only way to guarantee entry to things.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Don't do it.

I went in February for a long weekend with my wife and it was fantastic. We did 3 days of full on tourism, including the tower, Versailles, Louvre, Notre Dame, The Arc and more.

We were EXHAUSTED and had been busy the whole time, jumping on and off the metro and going out to Versailles. There is no way we even got near to the cost of the 2 or 3 day paris pass.

Do it all individually. The tower, you don't need to book in advance. Just turn up and queue for a bit. Don't be convinced that the pass is the only way to guarantee entry to things.

THIS...get the Metro Pass though as you will get lost and might need to get to another station.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Advice on getting around: Paris is tiny compared to London, so it's very walkable. Maybe get a carnet of ten metro/bus tickets when you arrive and use them when you need a longer journey. (Also, on high pollution days, you can get a VERY cheap day pass).

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I think we paid about €6 a day for our metro, bus and train ticket, as many journey's as you like. Makes a complete mockery of the cost of public transport here :(

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Off to Paris for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and I've been looking at the Paris Pass. At 135 Euro each for a 2 day pass, I'm wondering if they are worth it?

I see it also includes Metro travel, but has anyone used one and is it worth it?

I'm heading there in June for a couple of days (my first time in Paris). Was wondering about this too, so thanks :thumbsup:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
All good to know for my visit in July for the Rubik's cube world championships.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In many respects Paris is very expensive, but not when it comes to travel. As others have cited, a carnet of 10 metro tickets works out very good value and Paris is compact and beguiling enough to do a bit of walking in between. Not judging, but I'd imagine if you bought such a pass you may feel compelled to utilise it as much as possible, so much so that you may miss the point of a long weekend in springtime Paris. Get lost in the 14th arrondissement, go whoring in Montmatre, wonder at French jingoism at Versailles. Take your time... and then go back again next year.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Cheers all. Think we will give the Paris Pass a miss :thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Might be worth checking if anything is closed when you're there. We accidentally went into Paris on a day that the Louvre was closed (whether or not we wanted to go there) and everything else was absolutely rammed to capacity as a result.

Go to the Musee D'Orsay by the way, fantastic.

My favourite place in the world, I've been going over at least once a year since about 1989 just for the sake of it. Sometimes for racing at Longchamp, sometimes I've cycled there, sometimes for the football (last match Ireland v Sweden in the Euros) and sometimes just to walk the streets have a few beers and visit my mate Jim who's buried in the Pere Lachase.

When I took the boy for the first time to cram everything in, we got the metro to one of the stops in the Champs Elysees (George V or Charles De Gaulle) had a look round the Arc de Triomphe, walked down Avenue Marceau then crossed the bridge where Diana carked it and you're at the Eiffel Tower, (there is a travel agent shop in Avenue Bourdonnes (sp?) nearby that sells pre booked slots for a tenner or so more so you don't have to queue)

Walking away from the tower towards the river take the steps on the right hand side, and for about a tenner you can get the regular hop on hop off river bus that will take you down to Norte Dame and The Louvre.

Get the Metro to Pigalle or Blanche and you'll see the Moulon Rouge, walk up one of the side streets (uphill) and you'll come to the steps that take you up to Montmartre and The Sacre Coeur.

and if you run out of Metro tickets just jump over the barrier, they've stopped caring.

Bon Voyage

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
2 day pass is €48. I have used them because you get to bypass the queues which for the Louvre and Versailles can be several hours long. Depends on what you want to see.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My favourite place in the world, I've been going over at least once a year since about 1989 just for the sake of it. Sometimes for racing at Longchamp, sometimes I've cycled there, sometimes for the football (last match Ireland v Sweden in the Euros) and sometimes just to walk the streets have a few beers and visit my mate Jim who's buried in the Pere Lachase.

When I took the boy for the first time to cram everything in, we got the metro to one of the stops in the Champs Elysees (George V or Charles De Gaulle) had a look round the Arc de Triomphe, walked down Avenue Marceau then crossed the bridge where Diana carked it and you're at the Eiffel Tower, (there is a travel agent shop in Avenue Bourdonnes (sp?) nearby that sells pre booked slots for a tenner or so more so you don't have to queue)

Walking away from the tower towards the river take the steps on the right hand side, and for about a tenner you can get the regular hop on hop off river bus that will take you down to Norte Dame and The Louvre.

Get the Metro to Pigalle or Blanche and you'll see the Moulon Rouge, walk up one of the side streets (uphill) and you'll come to the steps that take you up to Montmartre and The Sacre Coeur.

and if you run out of Metro tickets just jump over the barrier, they've stopped caring.

Bon Voyage

Nice one. Our hotel is a 3 minute walk from Champs Elysees Charles De Gaulle metro stop, so may will give your route a go.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Bon Voyage

Top tips [MENTION=6288]Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews[/MENTION] thanks. Very chuffed we didn't bother with the Paris Pass as it would have been a waste of money.

Got back yesterday and we took most of your advice on board. Out hotel was 2 mins from Arc de Triomphe on Avenue de Wagram, so we did the walk to the Eiffel Tower you suggested. Did the boat up the Seine and back from there as well, and took the metro to Blanche for the Moulin Rogue and Sacre Coeur. Bloody long climb up to get to it, but well worth it, if nothing else just for the stunning views over the whole of Paris.

One tip I would add for anyone else going, if you fancy seeing the show at Moulin Rogue, definitely pre-book your tickets. We paid 85 Euros each online for show and a bottle of champers, but if you rock up on the day to buy, it was 140 Euros each! And if you like that sort of thing, I would highly recommend it. The show was absolutely fan-bloody-tastic.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The show was absolutely fan-bloody-tastic.

I see what you did there.

Paris in the Spring. It's a cliché, but one that underscores a truth - that there's no better city to spend a few days in Spring in than Paris. Glad you had such a good time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here