Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron Lennon health fears

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Disgraceful yet again by the DM. It's not news and absolutely no one else's business but his. Salacious ****s.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hope he is receiving the help he needs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately stress related illness is becoming more widespread in sport, not just football. Why now is difficult to say. My view is that it is a combination of suffers being more willing to seekhelp and not just keep the illnessto thenselves and adopt a stiff upper lip approach. Also the highs and lows experienced when playing and on the sidelines are far greater now. Thereby if a player us injured or suffers a loss if form the absence if the highs from playing lead to a downward spiral into mental illness.

Hopefully Lennon will recieve the help and support he needs and he will be back playing next season.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
mental health issues take a wide form and can be caused by many things - stress is one of those but usually it is stress combined with other factors. I just hope they understand what is triggering this and can deal. I know this has been said before but it is worth re-iterating. If you have a problem speak about it, talk to someone , a friend , your partner and please seek professional advice/help Don't keep quiet, there is no shame in this and many of us have/are/will suffer from this. Don't feel you are alone, don't feel you are weak, don't feel you are letting someone down.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Unfortunately stress related illness is becoming more widespread in sport, not just football. Why now is difficult to say. My view is that it is a combination of suffers being more willing to seekhelp and not just keep the illnessto thenselves and adopt a stiff upper lip approach. Also the highs and lows experienced when playing and on the sidelines are far greater now. Thereby if a player us injured or suffers a loss if form the absence if the highs from playing lead to a downward spiral into mental illness.

Hopefully Lennon will recieve the help and support he needs and he will be back playing next season.

A factor that surely must play a part is that there is more coverage of sport than there has ever been. Athletes are more well known than ever. Especially, in the digital age where people are can be reached with the tap of a few buttons.

It's going to drive someone to breaking point if everything they do is documented & judged on especially by social media, shite magazines, papers & websites.

I really hope Lennon gets better soon. Sad to read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disgraceful yet again by the DM. It's not news and absolutely no one else's business but his. Salacious ****s.

He's a PL footballer, and an England international. Of course it's news; sad news certainly, but news all the same. The item doesn't sensationalise it - just reports the facts. Poor fellow, I hope he gets well soon, and stays well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
There needs to be more awareness to mental health issues.

Get well AL

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

As someone else said this is news, as sad as it may be. It shows these sort of illnesses can affect anyone regardless of fame, job and wealth, it may well help someone else who has similar problems at the moment seek the help they need.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's a PL footballer, and an England international. Of course it's news; sad news certainly, but news all the same. The item doesn't sensationalise it - just reports the facts. Poor fellow, I hope he gets well soon, and stays well.

Agree. The article doesn't do anything apart from report some facts.

I did feel a little bit uncomfortable with the "stay strong" comment from his agent though.... old attitudes towards mental illness? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I agree that it is news but this is essentially a medical matter and I would have hoped that medical records no matter how famous the person was should remain confidential

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you're saying no one should report this?

While it is indeed a private thing, it's good in general for the nation to talk about mental health, it's not something to be ashamed of. Perhaps the Mail could be more respectful in the way they report something like this, but I'm not sure that no paper should report on famous people having mental health problems.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

VAST majority of the time, I would agree with you. But in this instance, as long as it doesn't hurt the man himself, I actually think the publicity that mental health issues effect, rich, young successful people as well helps a lot with understanding. When it's someone who leads a lifestyle so many would dream of, it stops the uneducated treating someone with depression with a stupid "just fecking cheer up".

I think what happened to Stan Collymore all those years ago was a major turning point in the understanding of depression, for that very reason.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Thereby if a player us injured or suffers a loss if form the absence if the highs from playing lead to a downward spiral into mental illness.

I think it's very much this.

In the case of Aaron (and I'm not telling tales here), from a couple of stories I've heard via a friend of a friend, I think Aaron very much enjoyed the trappings of celebrity, and if that has waned as his career has waned the last few years, then I definitely think that could have contributed.

Sad, sad illness, and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs and gets this under control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here