Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League Prize Money

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It is interesting and i will be following closely as to how it all pans out on a financial front,i am guessing (my own opinion only) that we will have a playing budget that makes us "competitive" as we normally seem to hear from the club,so with that in mind i am going for a playing budget (pure guesswork) (wages included) of £45M in our first season,that should see us strive to stay outside the bottom three..

Sunderland get £100m for effectively finishing last..

One thing is for sure,having got there,financially if we can't make it work now,we might never....think we will though,even if we come back down again.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Never mind the playing budget, what is the first team's BOOZE budget?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is interesting and i will be following closely as to how it all pans out on a financial front,i am guessing (my own opinion only) that we will have a playing budget that makes us "competitive" as we normally seem to hear from the club,so with that in mind i am going for a playing budget (pure guesswork) (wages included) of £45M in our first season,that should see us strive to stay outside the bottom three..

One thing is for sure,having got there,financially if we can't make it work now,we might never....think we will though,even if we come back down again.

Bournemouth and Watford, both promoted in 2015, spent £69.8m and £64.4m on player signings in their first season in the PL, which was before the latest TV deal kicked in.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Never mind the playing budget, what is the first team's BOOZE budget?

So far or after Sunday-well either way they have blown it already,back to work to earn another one for the week end i say..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bournemouth and Watford, both promoted in 2015, spent £69.8m and £64.4m on player signings in their first season in the PL, which was before the latest TV deal kicked in.

I suppose we might have to increase a little then-maybe,that said what's your ballpark figure that you think we would need to get to,roughly? For season coming.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I suppose we might have to increase a little then-maybe,that said what's your ballpark figure that you think we would need to get to,roughly? For season coming.

£80,000,000

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It's spending money well rather than spending money per se that's the issue for me. If Dale Stephens stays, for example, then it's £12-15m saved from the transfer budget.

To give you an idea of wages and transfers, last year the Albion's wage bill was £27m and £9m was spent on new players, whereas in the PL average wage bill was £109m and player signings £72m

[tweet]857284099895119873[/tweet]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
£80,000,000

It's spending money well rather than spending money per se that's the issue for me. If Dale Stephens stays, for example, then it's £12-15m saved from the transfer budget.

To give you an idea of wages and transfers, last year the Albion's wage bill was £27m and £9m was spent on new players, whereas in the PL average wage bill was £109m and player signings £72m

We are going to need to be canny then,Stephens and Stockdale (must be our first targets) could potentially save us money,if we manage to sign them quickly,£80M might not be far off then,personally i hope it's nearer £60M....shows what it's all about though.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Frightening wage figures for players . If only they were less and the monies passed down to lower ticket prices and to help the lower leagues etc Not the players fault but just how much do they need .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Crazy money on wages. Hope we're sensible both in terms of amount offered and things like wage drops in the event of relegation. Just in case, of course.

The usual argument is that we won't be able to attract the right caliber of players if we put those restrictions in place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But with a wage bill of £83m and carrying over a debt of £150m that £100m won't even touch the sides.

Careful what you wish for, people.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which is part of the reason I don't agree with parachute payments. All they serve to do is encourage feckless spending.

That's not always the case. Without them many clubs would have gone bankrupt as they would suffer an immediate loss of about £100 million, whilst having contracts with players (most relegation clauses involve a maximum 25% reduction in wages) that need to be honoured.

Even a small club such as Crystal Palace can compete with the likes of Spurs to a degree. Palace are set to offer Zaha £110,000 a week in a new deal to dissuade him from going to Spurs.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That's not always the case. Without them many clubs would have gone bankrupt as they would suffer an immediate loss of about £100 million, whilst having contracts with players (most relegation clauses involve a maximum 25% reduction in wages) that need to be honoured.

Even a small club such as Crystal Palace can compete with the likes of Spurs to a degree. Palace are set to offer Zaha £110,000 a week in a new deal to dissuade him from going to Spurs.

As NSC's very own financial advisor, do you think the club can stand firm on their policy ( paying none or as little as possible ) with regards to agents fees or will they have to relent and pay stupid sums in order to get their man?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I suspect that because his agent knows this, he'll be pitching for part of this as a signing on fee for Dale, much as other clubs would offer something similar in lieu of the transfer fee. Plus the agent's fee.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here