Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Venice

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hi all.

The NSC thread on Reykjavik served me very well, so I thought I'd ask for advice on Venice.

I'm taking the missus for our wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks. Just a weekend, so need to make the most of our time. I'm keen to hear of:

- your absolute must do's
- great places to eat
- bars

We're staying very central if that matters.

Thanks all

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Love Venice, truly wonderful place.
There will be many suggestions, mine would be, although chuffing expensive, is a gondola, but do it at sunset so the latter part is in the dark and ask to go round the small back canals past Casanovas house, all lit up by dim lighting.
We stayed in The Europa e Regina on Grand Canal, it has a magnificent marble bar that opens out on to a pontoon on the canal, well worth popping in for a drink.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Must do (it's a three line whip) get a private taxi (boat) in and out from the airport. You won't regret it.

Secondly Venice is massively over crowded. Get the public transport over to Murano, doesn't take long. The place is far more chilled, look at the glass avoid buying (how the hell am I going to get that home) and have a nice spot of lunch / wine / beers in the reasonably priced restaurent there that started as a cooperative.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Osteria al Duomo

I think. I've found food a bit hit and miss in Venice. So touristy they can get away with anything.

.. But I love it there been twice and thinking about going back soon.

Do try and get over to Murano. You get exactly the same Venice experience without the crowds.

And private taxi got to be done.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
look at the glass avoid buying (how the hell am I going to get that home)

No, no, no. You cannot come back from Venice without glass and I'm sure your wife would appreciate a memento.

I have some superb pieces and they all survived the trip home.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, no, no. You cannot come back from Venice without glass and I'm sure your wife would appreciate a memento.

I have some superb pieces and they all survived the trip home.
Yes guilty

They have an app now where you check it's authenticity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Watch out in St Mark's Square. First of all, the cafes are horrendously expensive. Secondly, there's pigeon crap everywhere, I slipped on some and broke my SLR camera.

Can't say I was madly impressed with Venice, it's very beautiful but it does seem to be a city designed to part tourists from their money in as little time as possible. I also agree with the post earlier that said the food can be a bit hit and miss, something that's not usually true of Italy.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The Art/Architecture Biennale is a great visit in Venice. This year it is the art one. It is held in two locations - The Arsenale which is a beautiful old industrial building and serves as a large indoor art gallery. Then there is the Jardin which is as you can problem guess set in some gardens filled with various random pavilions built by architects from different countries. The main idea is that each country from around the world nominates some artists to go and represent them at the Biennale. There is everything from paintings to installation and interactive pieces and you will I'm sure find something to enjoy. http://www.labiennale.org/ EDIT: It runs from 13th May - November so you should be open during your stay....

As a general point if you want to get away from the most tourist spots I'd recommend the area around Campo Santa Margherita there's a great market there too but can't remember which days, I'm sure you can find out on Google. For me it's one of the few areas left in Venice which doesn't feel like a giant tourist trap.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Take money - lots of money - and even more money......

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
There is a popular jazz bar quite near the Rialto bridge. It's on the main thoroughfare towards St Mark's Square. I went there last November and they do happy hour (two drinks for one i.e you have to have two drinks each) between 4 and 6pm. For Venice it was good value, relaxing and perfect timing after a days sightseeing.

The Doge's Palace is good but go early and pre book to avoid the crowds.

I haven't been to Harry's Bar but hear it is overated.

If you do a gondola trip avoid the main Tourist areas. It is expensive but we pre arranged a 45min trip near the Ghetto in the Jewish quarter. There are set prices so best look then up before you go.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Cafe Florian In St Marks Square - expensive but wonderful,
Harry's Bar
Doge's Palace
Opera House
and a thousand other places....

I was just about to suggest Cafe Florian, a lovely place.

Venice is very expensive, most meals we had were around £120 for two, but every meal was fantastic. I don't know if it is still there but we found a little seafood restaurant near the Bridge of Sigh that was amazing, best seafood I've had.

You'll get lost a lot until you get your bearings but that is part of the charm, and a great way to discover places you might have otherwise missed. We had a pocket guide book with a fold out map so we always had a means of getting back to the main places.

If you are looking for a cheap(ish) lunch/snack I can recommend a little pizza place near the Ruzzini Palace hotel. Still not found anywhere that can do pizza as well as them.

Rather than do a gondola trip we did a boat down the grand canal organised by our hotel, you get to see a lot of the place on the trip and the guy we had was very knowledgeable and able to point out places of interest as we sailed. The private taxi to the hotel is a great way to arrive (or leave) we took it back to the airport from our hotel, to get in we did a shared taxi from the airport to Realto Bridge and then found a porter who will take you straight to your hotel for 10 euros.

I'd love to go back one day.

Jul 7, 2003
Definitely agree with going to Murano. Also, let yourself get lost - it is much more fun wandering around and you get away from the hoards. There are a number of supermarkets hidden away and these are great for getting soft drinks to refresh yourself in the heat rather than pay the expensive prices in the cafes. Go for the Gelato as well - it is really nice. Buy a travelcard so you can hop on and off the ferries as you need. Also, use the Traghetto at San Toma to get across the canal. It is only a couple of euros but great fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here