Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Not in my Lifetime..."

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Following on from Mark Lawrenson's soundbite via Peter Ward's pre-match interview on Saturday,

Did you ever think you'd see The Albion in the top flight (again)? If not, when did that attitude change?

Having gone to my first game at the start of the 98/99 season, I didn't believe I would see us in the Premier League in my lifetime. It probably wasn't until the 12/13 season (pre Palace play-off) that I believed otherwise.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Following on from Mark Lawrenson's soundbite via Peter Ward's pre-match interview on Saturday,

Did you ever think you'd see The Albion in the top flight (again)? If not, when did that attitude change?

Having gone to my first game at the start of the 98/99 season, I didn't believe I would see us in the Premier League in my lifetime. It probably wasn't until the 12/13 season (pre Palace play-off) that I believed otherwise.

One page if you are lucky :moo:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Thus the "again" in parenthesis.
Always felt growing up that the club's aim was to re-establish itself as a consistent and viable football league club rather than aim for the lofty heights we are now hurtling towards!
Whatever age you are, the recent turnaround in ambition under Bloom is incredible and forced the disbandment of the 'little old Brighton' mentality that was associated with the club for a long time.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Thus the "again" in parenthesis.
Always felt growing up that the club's aim was to re-establish itself as a consistent and viable football league club rather than aim for the lofty heights we are now hurtling towards!
Whatever age you are, the recent turnaround in ambition under Bloom is incredible and forced the disbandment of the 'little old Brighton' mentality that was associated with the club for a long time.

99 per cent on Nsc wouldn't have a clue what you are on about :moo:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We will become the 48th club to play in the Premier League. So most clubs manage it sooner or later.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've always taken the view that if a small club such as Crystal Palace can manage it, then it should be within our remit too.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
We will become the 48th club to play in the Premier League. So most clubs manage it sooner or later.

A good way to look at it.

Given we are the 48th club to get there, are there any clubs larger than us (stadium size, financial investment etc) who haven't played at that level?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Given we are the 48th club to get there, are there any clubs larger than us (stadium size, financial investment etc) who haven't played at that level?

Not really....Huddersfield Bristol City may fit that profile....MK Dons could be another.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Was firmly in 'not in my lifetime'. Became 'football aware' at just the point everything was going wrong on and off the pitch, at about 13. That gives you a certain impression... Realised things could change once Bloom/Poyet kicked in, now around aged 23.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Plymouth maybe ?

Wouldn't say they're bigger than us, but I always felt they're punching way beneath their weight down there in the noddy leagues, although nearly going bust is what did for them. I'd love to see them back in the Championship. Decent stadium and support, they should be well capable.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
After losing the Goldstone I thought the best we could hope for was to be a lower league team playing in a fairly modest stadium, built god knows where with god knows whose money.

By the time Wilkins was in charge, playing a lot of young local players in the third tier, I was actually reasonably content and thought there was something quite honourable about that approach.

Getting to the Premier League, in a stadium like ours, is beyond what I thought possible a decade ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you ever think you'd see The Albion in the top flight
Yes. Blind optimism.

I didn't think it would be thanks to investment, I just thought that one time we'd manage to get lucky.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We are the 65th club to play top flight football. Three of those clubs now no longer exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not really....Huddersfield Bristol City may fit that profile....MK Dons could be another.

Huddersfield and Bristol have already played in the top flight.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Not in my Lifetime..."

We are the 65th club to play top flight football. Three of those clubs now no longer exist.

Eh?

We've already played in the top division. How can we be 65th - or did you mean we were the 65th back in 1979?

When I gave evidence at the Public Inquiry into the stadium planning application, I remember saying that Brighton had every reason to see its football club grow to be much the same size as ...

... Leicester City.

Nothing much has changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here