Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from the match - euro edition

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So, off I went with son for a boys weekend in Milan, and to, among other things, catch a match at the San Siro for the first time. Inter v Napoli was the match choice on Sunday evening late k/o 8.45 pm for some reason, moved from 3pm at fairly short notice.

We got tickets in the home end, 2nd tier green sections, where all the banners etc are, in the hope of experiencing the atmosphere as seen on many tv games over the years. What we got was vile, surrounded by thousands of drug taking, racist, drunk and abusive idiots.

I am a child of the 60s, getting my formative football experiences in the late 70s and early 80s, so I have seen and been part of all that terrace and town centre violence of that time. Nothing prepared me for the much lauded San Siro experience.

-Mass racist monkey chanting.
-Constant dope smoking.
-Fairly widespread pill popping
-Open cocaine sniffing
-Buying and drinking vodka from mobile vendors in volumes that would impress a Brighton hen party.
-General violent and abusive chanting.
-Zero police or stewards in the entire upper tier.

If ever anybody quotes me that old cliché "the English disease" again, I suggest they experience a game in Italy..... never again.

PS... this was thousands... not just a couple of hundred Ultras, this was old and young, men and women.

PPS.... Napoli won 1-0...

PPPS.... If you think the Amex travel arrangements are flimsy, try getting a vast % of 46k people down into a single metro station for the 20 minute trip back into the city.... took 90 minutes, and we left on 80 mins.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from the racist and violent and abusive changing that all seems fine; a great day out in fact. And your post script suggests Italian football is very age and sex democratic; way to go.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So, you went into the Ultras section then?
It seems so..... but we wanted the flag waving tier..... just weren't prepared for the scum that populate said tier..... that was the point... not how lively it was.

....and it wasn't just a section.. it was a tier.. 5k at least in my estimation... maybe more.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Racism in Italy is to be expected, let alone with the Ultras. Hard to think Mussolini was hung just down the road and had his coglioni ripped off. Like the drink and drugs part though.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like the drink and drugs part though.

"zero policing and stewards" as well. Just proves football fans can be trusted and treated like adults. British police take note.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PPPS.... If you think the Amex travel arrangements are flimsy, try getting a vast % of 46k people down into a single metro station for the 20 minute trip back into the city.... took 90 minutes, and we left on 80 mins.

Do they allow supporters to stay in the ground after the match like they do at the AMEX? If it was as busy as you say I'd have hung back and relaxed with a few lines of charlie and a vodka before getting the train home.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Do they allow supporters to stay in the ground after the match like they do at the AMEX? If it was as busy as you say I'd have hung back and relaxed with a few lines of charlie and a vodka before getting the train home.
Who knows.. but I doubt many stayed, it was 11pm finish time, I suspect all your angelic coke heads were off home quickly before their mums locked the front door.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I took a seat near the police box in the north stand once. Less said the better. Never again.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
"zero policing and stewards" as well. Just proves football fans can be trusted and treated like adults. British police take note.
Silly boy..... plenty of stewarding in other parts of the ground....nothing in that tier.... if I was a copper or steward, I wouldn't go anywhere near it either, can only assume it's a no go area of the ground for the authorities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Silly boy..... plenty of stewarding in other parts of the ground....nothing in that tier.... if I was a copper or steward, I wouldn't go anywhere near it either, can only assume it's a no go area of the ground for the authorities.

Alternatively maybe they see mixed sexes and ages engaging in responsible drug taking and vodka drinking . Did you see any punch ups? Any Lambrettas slung onto the folk below? Pigs heads being hurled about? Or is that the Spanish?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Alternatively maybe they see mixed sexes and ages engaging in responsible drug taking and vodka drinking . Did you see any punch ups? Any Lambrettas slung onto the folk below? Pigs heads being hurled about? Or is that the Spanish?

No. I don't think he mentioned fighting at all. On the other hand 'Mass racist monkey chanting' was mentioned. Funny you haven't commented on that!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Who knows.. but I doubt many stayed, it was 11pm finish time, I suspect all your angelic coke heads were off home quickly before their mums locked the front door.

doubt it , probably all kicked on in the numerous nightclubs that stay open all night on the continent.......sounds great to me....:thumbsup:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
No fighting.... Napoli only had about 1500.. late kickoff factor I expect....however there was an army of shield, helmets and batons in the outside concourse area as we headed quickly for the metro on 80 mins.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm guessing it was a public holiday on the Monday which may have led to some over exuberant drinking and drug-taking.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Apart from the racism it all sounds OK to me..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here