Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Brighton be first club in prem to play 11 British players?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Just a bit of useless trivia but wonder if any other club as fielded 11 outfield British players in Premier league
A possible British starting 11 for The Albion next year
Stockdale
Rosenior
Duffy
Dunk
Goldson
Stephens
Sidwell
Murphy
March
Baldock
Murray

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I very much doubt it after the summer signings. Best value comes from abroad, sadly.

I'd love to be wrong though. I've often thought a club that agreed with the FA to play as an England team would benefit the. Ationalteamgrratly. It will never happen though.

As an aside didn't Villa come very close to this a few seasons ago?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By all accounts, Villa played an all English side on 27th February 1999 against Coventry City:

Michael Oakes, Alan Wright, Gareth Southgate, Steve Watson, Riccardo Scimeca, Ian Taylor, Paul Merson, Simon Grayson, Lee Hendrie, Dion Dublin, Julian Joachim.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just a bit of useless trivia but wonder if any other club as fielded 11 outfield British players in Premier league
A possible British starting 11 for The Albion next year
Stockdale
Rosenior
Duffy
Dunk
Goldson
Stephens
Sidwell
Murphy
March
Baldock
Murray

No....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Twelve-years-English-Premier-League-team.html

Continentals gobble up full English! Weekend marks 12th anniversary of last homegrown team
By MATT FORTUNE
UPDATED: 01:36, 25 February 2011

It's meant to be the English Premier League. Well, Sunday marks 12 years since a team made entirely of home-grown players took to the field in the top flight.

The 14 players used by Aston Villa in their match against Coventry City were: Michael Oakes, Alan Wright, Gareth Southgate, Steve Watson, Riccardo Scimeca, Ian Taylor, Paul Merson, Simon Grayson, Lee Hendrie, Dion Dublin, Julian Joachim. Subs: Gareth Barry, Stan Collymore, Mark Draper.

The manager was John Gregory. That they lost 4-1 tells its own story.

The closest we’ve come to a full English this season is the eight players that Newcastle have fielded four times, Sunderland three times and West Ham once.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Without wanting to get into all the politics of it, how come he plays for the Republic?

My understanding is that under the Good Friday agreement anyone born in N Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship and can either take dual nationality or renounce their British citizenship.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Without wanting to get into all the politics of it, how come he plays for the Republic?

I don't think there's an answer to that without getting into the politics. I believe all players in NI can choose to play for the Republic if they want to.

Edit. See the post above

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By all accounts, Villa played an all English side on 27th February 1999 against Coventry City:

Michael Oakes, Alan Wright, Gareth Southgate, Steve Watson, Riccardo Scimeca, Ian Taylor, Paul Merson, Simon Grayson, Lee Hendrie, Dion Dublin, Julian Joachim.

I believe only last week BG linked us with at least 3 of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My understanding is that under the Good Friday agreement anyone born in N Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship and can either take dual nationality or renounce their British citizenship.

I don't think there's an answer to that without getting into the politics. I believe all players in NI can choose to play for the Republic if they want to.

Edit. See the post above

Thanks. I wasn't aware players could choose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here