Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ve been reading over this thread is any technical analysis carried out before plunging into this market? It does come across as a bit hit and hope. I don’t trade Crypto yet if you could read a chart it was indicated reasonably early there was going to be a change in trend to the downside. I’m actually quite annoyed I didn’t short BTC would of been a nice ride down.

When I get a minute I will post a chart and the indication hopefully might help people in future.

Plenty of analysis, facts and figures out there.
There’ll also be a current tweet somewhere correctly predicting exactly what will happen next.
The problem is there’ll be many more that get it all wrong.
If trends were easy to predict, by any means, everyone on this thread would be a billionaire.
Experience helps but the you also need luck in this game.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I actually pulled everything out yesterday luckily and I'm gonna sit on cash for a bit. Maybe stack up some more in copper and Nvidia !!

Last time there was a crypto crash in 2017 the whole of 2018 was a slow bleed. I wonder if it will be similar this time around. A year of sideways?

I'm hoping BTC pulls back to around $20k and then I will execute some huge long positions in ETH and possibly some other coins.

My entirely amateur view of what is happening, is that any downward movement in bitcoin results in relatively big outflows from alt coins, to fund short term positions in bitcoin. This trick can be repeated until such point as the amatuers stop panic selling alt coins, to let the big boys back in at a lower price. A steady bitcoin will likely lead to some more selective money movements across alt coins, rather than everything rising and falling in response to the slightest change in bitcoin.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My entirely amateur view of what is happening, is that any downward movement in bitcoin results in relatively big outflows from alt coins, to fund short term positions in bitcoin. This trick can be repeated until such point as the amatuers stop panic selling alt coins, to let the big boys back in at a lower price. A steady bitcoin will likely lead to some more selective money movements across alt coins, rather than everything rising and falling in response to the slightest change in bitcoin.

you're refering to manipulation. that does happen, though there another more simple reason. bitcoin is major price pair for most alts so when it drops significantly in short time frames, the $ price for everything gets hit. bots responding to arbitrage opportunities outweigh normal trading flow.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
you're refering to manipulation. that does happen, though there another more simple reason. bitcoin is major price pair for most alts so when it drops significantly in short time frames, the $ price for everything gets hit. bots responding to arbitrage opportunities outweigh normal trading flow.
I am talking about arbitrage rather than price manipulation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I use Revolut app on my phone, relly simple, all free no fees. Im sure there are other options.

But i like your plans, buy one you like and hold :)

I am still confused. Read this about revolut:

Cryptocurrency Wallets. Revolut doesn't support individual cryptocurrency wallets. Instead, your cryptocurrencies are stored in a 'pooled' virtual account and your balance is recorded on their internal ledger. If you're a standard Revolut user, you can't send (or receive) cryptocurrencies outside of Revolut

two questions: Does it matter that individual crypto wallets are not supported.

I cannot trade outside revolut. I would have thought a wallet that allows me to trade across all wallets?

I am probably sounding like an absolute noob here.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I follow the money. And Gregg Kidd is behind Global ID. He is seriously connected, everything he touches turns to Gold. Also its a great idea.

If he is invovled its a sure fire win in my opinion.

Did you invest in ico? is global.id listed yet?

All my trades in green today (after dumping the losses :)) sold BTC at 37 ( bought at 40 :eek:) but rebought last night at 35 and it's now up to 37..no wait..wtf..dropped 500 in THREE MINUTES. Boy need to just put stop loss on and delete the app, enjoy my holiday and review next month ???

got onto binance now but still had time to make another mistake!, sold most of my stock on eToro forgetting that i already made the loss at the time of purchase and might as well have left it there!. Anyway great to see buying fees of 0.1% instead of 2-4% i was being charged on eTorro!

So for the benefit of future readers. DONT USE ETORO - its bl00dy expensive.
Now, all i need to do is work out if im making a profit or loss on Binance :) (You buy in GBP but it shows all trade balances as a bulk USD/BTC amount so i cannot work out if i made a profit or loss on any given trade!)
If anyone can answer this point that would be great !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
got onto binance now but still had time to make another mistake!, sold most of my stock on eToro forgetting that i already made the loss at the time of purchase and might as well have left it there!. Anyway great to see buying fees of 0.1% instead of 2-4% i was being charged on eTorro!

Now, all i need to do is work out if im making a profit or loss on Binance :) (You buy in GBP but it shows all trade balances as a bulk USD/BTC amount so i cannot work out if i made a profit or loss on any given trade!)

You can change currency in options so its all in GBP

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

I'm new to this and feeling my way too, so don't shoot me...

Top right > set to GBP
In Margin box, Choose FIAT, then GBP
it should offer prices underneath in xxx/GBP.
Then the top left area shows selected coin and it's £value.

In the wallet > FIAT and spot dropdown you should be able to see the value of your holdings in pounds. At least it does on mine.

Also appears on the phone App quite nicely.

Hope this helps, sometimes it's easier to get information and help from a newbie rather than an expert.

Last edited:

lots of lovely green candles today - just a shame i decided to reduce my risk limit after 20% losses in my first week of trading. Oh well good start to the second week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here