Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Come one, come all! Who will buy my pretty tulip bulbs? :lolol:

View attachment 135209

This is what some people don’t get. These coins are starting to have real world uses. For example a whole ecosystem has been set up for ETN. Where there is a freelance website a bit like fiver where you can buy tasks. You pay in your home currency and the person receives payment in crypto. They can spend this crypto in their local economy. For example pay for electricity or top up phones etc. The aim is to engage with the unbanked of the world. It is all KYC compliant etc.

Gradually people will realise that coins need a real world use.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What is going on out there is a 21st Century build out of the railways.

Lots of people will get very rich, lots of people will lose lots of money.
Some things will be built that make a lot of money for some then disappear.
Some things will lose lots of money, yet still endure.
Some things wiill make money and endure.

So many things will remain as they always have, but there is a huge global bubble of technology and innovation, which will at some level impact all of us.
Not sure that is really going to help you, or even spark your interest, but a lot for speculators and big dreamers to get excited about.

Railways i understand and that ultimately while a lot of people started few finished with profits because they picked the wrong route or run out of funds or were bought out , all very tangible though. Stocks and shares I understand the basics. Real currency I understand is all about trust. Bit coin though seems to be a combination of all 3 scenarios.

So in layman's terms has anyone made real money that i can spend on amazon if so what is the return rate on the investment? It sort of comes across like a computer game rather than real life.

Note - isn't the mining pretty damaging to the environment ???

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Railways i understand and that ultimately while a lot of people started few finished with profits because they picked the wrong route or run out of funds or were bought out , all very tangible though. Stocks and shares I understand the basics. Real currency I understand is all about trust. Bit coin though seems to be a combination of all 3 scenarios.

So in layman's terms has anyone made real money that i can spend on amazon if so what is the return rate on the investment? It sort of comes across like a computer game rather than real life.

Yes some people have gained incredible wealth, just look at the price of Bitcoin.
Bitcoin and mining are one part of what is happening. Ledgers (immutable or not) and smart contracts can be applied in many globally scaleable use cases, hence there are thousands of coins out there, each trying to do something different.

Look at all the innovations that appeared on the back of railways for a clue (Universal Time, Leisure travel, seaside towns etc). Even today much of our modern communications uses fibre cables running alongside those nice straight railtracks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...So in layman's terms has anyone made real money that i can spend on amazon if so what is the return rate on the investment? It sort of comes across like a computer game rather than real life.

funny thats whats it become for me, lots of graphs, meta-game, videos on how to win... and the highscore :)
real money is made depends on what you buy and when. i have a -90% loss from 2018 (and dead coins), or 2600% from last autumn. there no proper valuations like shares, its technical analysis and speculation. probably comparable to mining or oil stocks, the juniors might make 10-20x, the seniors might go up 2-3x. or the whole lot will fall 50%.

a bit, so is everything. your computer might be a only few watts, the servers and networks across the world to create t'internet consume gigawatts.

on a related subject I have recently seen a few mind-blowing videos on YT that i struggled to understand. People are spending HUNDREDs to THOUSANDs of dollar of real money on digital equipment in online games. Its like gambling. They go on the game , buy some weapons,armory with virtual coins they have purchased with real money and hope to get one of the "rare" weapons, medals etc which they can the sell to another idiot playing the same game. One "artifact" which seemed to give the owner instant healing in a war game and unlimited bullets was being sold for the equivalent of $5000! and yes people WERE paying to buy.. unreal..

I would hate to be the one left holding these items when the game company decides to turn off the servers due to low usage. After all if for example you were on say World of Warcraft and were being constantly being beaten by the same player with his unlimited energy and firepower, you would soon stop playing it. fast forward four years, that game would be dead. Now the "superior being" having probably spent over $20000 to play a game now has noone to play against. So i guess a bit like bitcoin, at some point the bubble will burst and i wouldnt want to be the one having just paid $60,000 to own a single bitcoin when (ok if) the bubble burst and the price crashes big time again.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Bitcoin price

Come one, come all! Who will buy my pretty tulip bulbs? :lolol:

View attachment 135209

Yes Tulips. How it started.... How it’s going...

fdddda7b1adca3df5edef2a45271e388.jpg

Blockchain technology is going to be the internet 3.0. We will see ups and (big) downs along the way but make no mistake amongst the new blockchain protocol providers, new digital currency systems, decentralised finance and innovative blockchain data/ai solutions are the next Google, Facebooks, and Amazon’s of the future.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

This might be a useful link, with some clear explanations.

https://hedera.com/learning/what-is-decentralized-finance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:ffsparr:

I'm 90% sure those aren't even tulip bulbs. Look more like daffs to me.

You're just as wrong about crypto.

Not as wrong as you are about bulbs :p

Got your LAMBO yet then? Or are you going to HODL til MOON - or far more likely til your account gets 'hacked' before you can convert your magic beans into real money :lol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not as wrong as you are about bulbs :p

Got your LAMBO yet then? Or are you going to HODL til MOON - or far more likely til your account gets 'hacked' before you can convert your magic beans into real money :lol:

Anyone investing Crypto knows the risks at this current time, or they should.

Crypto is however here to stay I have no doubt about it. The central banks will use it.
The financial institutions have already dived in they are just not letting you know yet.

Sssshhh its all a big secret they don't want the common man to have the opportunity to get rich....

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Swissborg for me is the best on ramp. Lowest down time, arbitrage between exchanges for best price in and out. highest yields on USDC and ETH for one of these apps, BTC soon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Swissborg for me is the best on ramp. Lowest down time, arbitrage between exchanges for best price in and out. highest yields on USDC and ETH for one of these apps, BTC soon.
Do you scriptwrite for LoD BTW? [emoji6]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Crypto is however here to stay I have no doubt about it. The central banks will use it.
The financial institutions have already dived in they are just not letting you know yet.

Sssshhh its all a big secret they don't want the common man to have the opportunity to get rich....

Totally agree. I have no doubt about the above bit in bold whatsoever. But the central banks will form a huddle and, er, form their own cryptocurrency that will inherit the global market. Bitcoin is just the next Pets.com and is just as doomed to crash and burn. I'd cash out now if I were you. Or at least attempt to :wink:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Totally agree. I have no doubt about the above bit in bold whatsoever. But the central banks will form a huddle and, er, form their own cryptocurrency that will inherit the global market. Bitcoin is just the next Pets.com and is just as doomed to crash and burn. I'd cash out now if I were you. Or at least attempt to :wink:

the central banks will choose a crypto, it certainly will NOT be bitcoin. I do not own any of it.

I doubt Bitcoin will crash and burn, its too rare, it will hold value like Gold.

But bitcoin will be toppled in the crypto market in my opinion.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well as long as the few people ITK don't keep bouncing threads about it :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the central banks will choose a crypto, it certainly will NOT be bitcoin. I do not own any of it.

I doubt Bitcoin will crash and burn, its too rare, it will hold value like Gold.

But bitcoin will be toppled in the crypto market in my opinion.

its a fair point that the banks dont *need* to use an existing crypto to build out an interbank system. if i were a bank i'd look to roll/fork my own, remove fees and keep governance within the banking industry. banks arent known for cooperation though Swift shows they can do it. for they look more interested in the $ gains as an asset.

what are you tipping to topple bitcoin?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here