Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interested in this thread. Ive got a bit of eth, dot and some ada. Its all gone a bit bonkers recently so I am considering my next investment carefully. Not planning to cash in but its not so appealing to invest more at current prices. Looking at alternatives but havent researched for a while. Anything worth a look?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Someone [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] and I are in a group with has said they have got ZIL and THETA in addition to ADA.

Seems to be working out OK at the moment...

I have put a bit into THETA as I think that has potential, although I don't really know and it's a bit of a punt TBH.

Also PART is recommended, with the caveat it's from a high risk perspective (it's been around a while already), potentially the next eBay, albeit with the addition of extra privacy...

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
The huge problem with ETH at the moment is the transaction fees. They are ridiculous and open the door for much cheaper alternatives to steal their dominant position.

what do you see challenging ETH's position as the usable alt to BTC?

LTC?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

LTC?

ETH position isnt as a direct competitor to BTC. BTC is just payments, ETH offers a functionality, online contracts, an online computer. there are so many attempting to following ETH, few have gained the traction needed yet. Polkadot looks the likely one due to the sheer breadth of supporting projects. or, actually delivering real code, Fantom and associated projects.

the popularity of ETH has highlighted interesting paradox facing most crypto. the main sell is to reduce the cost of transaction and services, if they become popular the costs of those transactions and services rise. however if they are low fee or free, where is the motivation to secure them? need to offer real functionality at scalable cost structure.

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
ETH position isnt as a direct competitor to BTC. BTC is just payments, ETH offers a functionality, online contracts, an online computer. there are so many attempting to following ETH, few have gained the traction needed yet. Polkadot looks the likely one due to the sheer breadth of supporting projects. or, actually delivering real code, Fantom and associated projects.

the popularity of ETH has highlighted interesting paradox facing most crypto. the main sell is to reduce the cost of transaction and services, if they become popular the costs of those transactions and services rise. however if they are low fee or free, where is the motivation to secure them? need to offer real functionality at scalable cost structure.

My purchase of DOT and ADA was in part to reduce any risk with ETH due to the transaction costs.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014

ETH is in a race against time to deploy 2.0 - Sharding & proof of stake will really help transaction speeds.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

LTC?

ETH is a contract based system that many new blockchain companies use as their token utility either permanently or until their own main net token is established and has boomed recently with the swell of defi (decentralized finance) projects that have hit the market.

There are lots of other kids on the block that can do similar but cheaper and faster. Polkadot, ADA, NEO, QTUM etc there are lots question is which will win the race. One I am really keen on is DAG. It has a really low market cap and has a ton of potential.

LTC is really just a faster much cheaper to use version of bitcoin and well placed to be used as a digital currency option. One thing is it looks really under priced right now compared to the moves that ETH and BTC have had. Ive traded some of my BTC for it as I'm expecting it to hold/grow its value whilst BTC has a choppy couple of months.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is anyone on here mining Pi on their phones?

Feel free to use my referral link, which ups the mining rate for all of us https://minepi.com/Notters1983 username (Notters1983)

It remains to be seen whether this project has legs, though a number of university professors were involved in its creation which at least gives it a little credibility.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
there are still huge opportunities in this market if you are prepared to research and move wisely.

Bitcoin was never the one ;-)

you need to hold and be brave for the big rewards

Make sure you choose an alt coin which has utility, it does not really matter at this moment, but that time is coming.

It is an incredibly volatile market though, so only invest what you can afford to lose.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Feel free to use my referral link, which ups the mining rate for all of us https://minepi.com/Notters1983 username (Notters1983)

It remains to be seen whether this project has legs, though a number of university professors were involved in its creation which at least gives it a little credibility.

cant see the point of it myself, its just re-implementing of Stellar, though hasnt actually forked a chain. so the mining isnt doing anything.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Yes, I am. I got on a while ago and got 8 miners. Have to keep reminding them to mine..

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Make sure you choose an alt coin which has utility, it does not really matter at this moment, but that time is coming.

utility is sooo 2018, all about the Defi now. or NFT.

i've a couple of long holds with large gains, just i have a lot with naff all or gone bust.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
utility is sooo 2018, all about the Defi now. or NFT.

i've a couple of long holds with large gains, just i have a lot with naff all or gone bust.

Cool good for you. But I won’t be investing my money in any alt coin that does not have strong utility.

Or a coin that I believe in. Good luck to you 👍🙂

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cool good for you. But I won’t be investing my money in any alt coin that does not have strong utility.

I'm very much of this ilk but there is no investment in this case as it's free.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

was having a bit of fun. though sceptical of many claims of utility, it was often a buzz word to skirt around securities rules. they were just fund raising, the service could have used another blockchain. now everything is saying they're defi projects. funny enough access to defi would be a good utility, though usually their tokens are simply for governance, an even bigger sham. the game related and supply chain utility tokens look genuinely usful.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009

Look into ShareRing (SHR). Going to have huge utility and huge usage, and is way undervalued. I’m a shill, you say? Perhaps, but I’ve been excited about SHR since 2018 and only more so now!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Been mining Pi almost a year now. I think we will see if this works come 2022.... Either way it doesn't cost anything, doesn't use phone battery or data so thought why not. I'd hate to have snubbed it and it become big. It has a USP being the first mobile mined bitcoin.

I have also just started someone that i don't quite understand called 'Initiative Q'. I was told about it from a mate who is deep into this sort of stuff and he told me about pi.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Man there is serious coin being made right now on alts and I don’t think we’ve even started yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here