Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Blueprint

Albion Blueprint: What's The Best Method?

• a) **** it, boom and bust!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b) Serious investment, we're Premier League now!

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • c) Modest investment but with some bells on

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • d) Most modest investment possible, let's yo-yo!

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
What's it gonna be?

There are a few examples.

a) Portsmouth. Spend like crazy - boom and bust. Now widely known as Club suicide

b) Serious investment, meaning the keeping of the spine of the team only and a host of new playing staff. Some might be amazing, some might disappoint. Much cash will be spent on both kinds.

c) Modest investment, keeping the squad more intact - but enough investment that the squad ends up i. slightly off kilter (problem) or ii. more competitive (ideal), and does a more than good job of survival. This level still implies getting "stuck in" to the Premier League attitude towards spend on playing staff and wages ASAP. Do we panic if it doesn't work out straight away?

d) The Yo-Yo. My "preference". Not that it is easy to "decide" to be a yo-yo club - but here are the benefits:

FIRSTLY

i. The club retains the playing staff with only a few additions. Plays it cautious, and rewards the players that got us promoted. One or two (hopefully fantastic) signings.
ii. Therefore the wages and spend of the club do not explode.
iii. The club sees what it can do with only the most modest mode of investment, whilst being aware it is in danger of relegation in the first instance.

HOWEVER

iv. On relegation, should it happen due to the modesty of the club's attitude, parachute payments come into play.
v. Albion retain their current situation of a being a club on the up, with certain values - including loyalty to players, the resurgence embodied in the stadium, and the promise of the new Academy.
vi. The club loses some players to large fees (boo!) (but a kind of... bonus, in a sense), but with it's growing reputation is becoming a favoured destination for young players, and new-find scout-network players looking to play for a Championship team competing for the title once again. Not mercenaries, ever. Those looking to play, and graft, and be part of something. A winning Championship outfit.
vii. Promotion is gained again, after one or two seasons, whilst the core of the team has improved in the subtle and quiet and meaningful fashion we have enjoyed over the course of the past five seasons. We are getting stronger.
viii. Eventually on a promotion (a runaway one even...), we stabilise, having followed something a little like the West Brom blueprint, and become a mid-table Premier League team, with all the benefits and resources the growing Academy and general reputation has bestowed.
ix. We all get shitfaced after a wonderful roller-coaster ride of yet more (classic Albion) ups and downs.

Point being - though I'd love us to stay in the Premier League first time of asking, method d) seems to have certain long-term merits provided by the matrix of effort, vision and time. I'm saying relegation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and the yo-yo process is not something to fear with the committed and canny chairman we have. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I am aware the yo-yo thing is quite contingent and comes with it's own sort of "pie-in-the-sky" - but isn't that what the signs here at the club point us to? Is this what we've got to look forward to? :albion2:

Corrections and contradictions welcome, no doubt I have blind spots. But that's my take on it, in the long run.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think a couple of decent loans in the mix could play a big part. If Bournemouth can do it I'm sure we can,

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We are in a great position, in that a) we recruit very well and b) we are an attractive proposition for players.

With those things in mind, modest investment could reap very positive rewards.

It's not made a big deal out of, but our Chairman is an odds/betting expert, which means we know how to look at the numbers. We don't tend to take "risks", but rather formulate calculations, it's all about those numbers. I am convinced that our success since TB has taken over has been in part because of this. While others deal in a kind of "art" when it comes to recruitment, we deal in a kind of "science". There's a reason odds exist and apply, and a reason the house always wins. We have the workings of "the house" in our corner, and for this reason I really feel we are in a position to spend (modestly) with confidence in a return, more so than other clubs.

Whatever the route we take, I really do have confidence that when we do something, we know exactly what it is we are doing and why, in a very meaningful way.

So I'm not going to seriously judge what we should do, I'm not an expert, but I'm pleased to say, I know a man who is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Softly, softly, catchee monkey.

I think change will come comparatively quickly through the entire playing staff, with the exception of Dunk & Duffy, although clearly not quick enough for many on here.

So I guess I'm going for option C.

Each Premier League season will generate 2 or 3 tasty signings supplementing what happens around contracts.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what other promoted clubs have done in recent years.
4c4cdbf6686d82f2e781f785b9804643.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What's the deal with the variance? Interest in the given club makes that much of a wedge of the extra income? Else I was expecting a uniform "Premier League Bonanza"!

(A) Some clubs had parachute payments in the Championship
(B) Premier League income is linked to the position the club finishes in the table
(C) The TV deal is renegotiated every three years

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We may possibly become a 'bounce' club for a few seasons, but it would be madness to try to plan to do it that way! That's like planning to come 17th. (and nearly succeeding - which is failure!); we may well finish 17th. in our first season, but not because we plan to.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm not sure there are yoyo clubs any more. Can you make two or three?

This is the closest thing to a yoyo club that I could find.

Yo-Yo University is an after school yoyo program which was started by Colin Leland of TMBR Yo-Yos and his friend Greg. Yo-Yo University has been instructing students during their after school program since January 1, 2009. Currently they are instructing in eleven schools. Yo-Yo University is based out of Portland Oregon.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We know what the tv / prize money but what other streams of money will increase dose sponsorship and advertising go up also the club shop seems to have been very busy. What other areas will the club benefit from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here