Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Chris?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
When all we had to do is win, and if we didnt, we had another shot next Sunday, why did we select a team and play as if we didnt want to lose.
I like Jiri, and in the right circumstanses, he is a valuable squad player. But not today.
The crowd were buzzing, a fantastic atmosphere after the pre match build up.
We set up and played as if we didnt want to lose IMHO.
The start was so poor that the atmosphere created before the match, and the early brilliant support and singing slowly subsided.
Bristol played so narrow that we fell into the same style. we should have started with Solly on the left and Knocky on the right and stretched them and really gone for it.
So we lost by not trying to lose, and we are in the same place as if we had gone hell for leather and lost.
Just a bit inebriated and gutted.

But I still fancy us to win at Villa

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I felt the same when we played Norwich.I understood playing Murphy alongside Murray but why did he put Stephens on the bench.****ing crazy.
Today's selection was also baffling playing Skalak instead of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I felt the same when we played Norwich.I understood playing Murphy alongside Murray but why did he put Stephens on the bench.****ing crazy.
Today's selection was also baffling playing Skalak instead of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful. You're not allowed any negativity regardless of performance or result. If that is a Premier League squad/team/set up in waiting it is going to be a very long next season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Puzzling team selection at Norwich condemned us to inevitable defeat. Surely you stick with your strongest possible team, get the job done and then let some of the lesser lights have their moment in the spotlight. It seemed as if the manager was sending out the signal that all would be ok at home to Brizzle, get the big guns back and roll them over. The insipid display at Carrow Road derailed momentum, affected the balance of the side and caused a hangover effect at the Amex.
I listened to a lot of ex-pro's in the media all saying that promotion mattered far more to players than titles and that Brighton players considered it job done and that the Norwich result was no surprise. I listened to all these comments and still felt that the players wouldn't let the opportunity of being champions slip through their grasp. Why, even CH said that the title was our objective. I believed him before today. I don't now.
He tinkered with a winning side, when it was unnecesary. Playing Murphy upfront at Norwich was a poor decision. He is far too lightweight. Starting the lightweight and ineffectual Norwood alongside Sidwell was, frankly, ludicrous and then deciding to throw in Skalak v Brizzle and gambling with an unfit and out of sorts Kayal, throwing tremendous pressure on Stephens, was totally unfair. Stephens performance was near heroic but he was trying to carry too many teammates. Knockaert has allowed his level to drop significantly since the Wolves game and our talisman has been coasting. Murray and Hemed have both been poor as well. March hasn't asserted himself at all.
I only saw 4 players play remotely near acceptable standard v Bristol. Stephens, Dunk, BFG and Stocky. They had to carry 7 teammates, all of whom struggled. Totally inexplicable and unacceptable given what was a stake. They have a final chance to redeem themselves but I think we all feel in our heart of hearts that its very unlikely. This was our chance today and we blew it. What really hurts is that Bristol looked hungrier than us. CH words now have a hollow ring about them and it looks as if the whole playing/coaching staff have mentally switched off after the Wigan game.
It looked like we would be going into the PL with a flourish. It now looks like we will finish in an air of anti climax.

theboybilly

Puzzling team selection at Norwich condemned us to inevitable defeat. Surely you stick with your strongest possible team, get the job done and then let some of the lesser lights have their moment in the spotlight. It seemed as if the manager was sending out the signal that all would be ok at home to Brizzle, get the big guns back and roll them over. The insipid display at Carrow Road derailed momentum, affected the balance of the side and caused a hangover effect at the Amex.
I listened to a lot of ex-pro's in the media all saying that promotion mattered far more to players than titles and that Brighton players considered it job done and that the Norwich result was no surprise. I listened to all these comments and still felt that the players wouldn't let the opportunity of being champions slip through their grasp. Why, even CH said that the title was our objective. I believed him before today. I don't now.
He tinkered with a winning side, when it was unnecesary. Playing Murphy upfront at Norwich was a poor decision. He is far too lightweight. Starting the lightweight and ineffectual Norwood alongside Sidwell was, frankly, ludicrous and then deciding to throw in Skalak v Brizzle and gambling with an unfit and out of sorts Kayal, throwing tremendous pressure on Stephens, was totally unfair. Stephens performance was near heroic but he was trying to carry too many teammates. Knockaert has allowed his level to drop significantly since the Wolves game and our talisman has been coasting. Murray and Hemed have both been poor as well. March hasn't asserted himself at all.
I only saw 4 players play remotely near acceptable standard v Bristol. Stephens, Dunk, BFG and Stocky. They had to carry 7 teammates, all of whom struggled. Totally inexplicable and unacceptable given what was a stake. They have a final chance to redeem themselves but I think we all feel in our heart of hearts that its very unlikely. This was our chance today and we blew it. What really hurts is that Bristol looked hungrier than us. CH words now have a hollow ring about them and it looks as if the whole playing/coaching staff have mentally switched off after the Wigan game.
It looked like we would be going into the PL with a flourish. It now looks like we will finish in an air of anti climax.

That sums my opinion up perfectly and only emphasises the fact that Dale Stephens is the heartbeat of this side. I'll be gutted if he is allowed to leave

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is it me? I could be wrong? Are all the non posters this year because we have success, now rearing their ugly heads to have one last go before the season is up?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
And having a quick squint at the Brizzle messageboards, they're not happy with Mr. Hughton either tonight!
After saying what an honest and fair manager he is, they felt he hadn't given Bristol City any credit for their win at the Amex.
From the http://www.otib.co.uk messageboard "I've always had a lot of time for Hughton, but he let himself down tonight. "There was only one team likely to score and that was us". WTF? And after Lee had given Brighton such credit. Very disappointing."
Seems that tonight's disappointing performance has got to him too!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I only saw 4 players play remotely near acceptable standard v Bristol. Stephens, Dunk, BFG and Stocky. They had to carry 7 teammates, all of whom struggled. Totally inexplicable and unacceptable given what was a stake.

I agree 100%

I totally agree with all the comments on here. It was a bizarre team selection. March should have started and got the job done before letting Skalak have his last few minutes as an Albion player.
I can forgive the players the loss at Norwich. They were still on a high from the Wigan game. But last night they needed to go out and win this game early. But Hughton set them up not to lose. It was an away team defence minded set up, on the day that we should have set out to stuff them 5-0. Way too cautious, and it cost us dearly.

Yesterday was supposed to be the day we got all the last 34 years worth of Christmases in one day. The decorations were up, the music was playing, the turkey was in the oven, but someone forgot to bring the presents.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Is it me? I could be wrong? Are all the non posters this year because we have success, now rearing their ugly heads to have one last go before the season is up?

Or maybe it's a bunch of fans that support a club that doesn't have a cabinet full of silverware and are desperate to win one of its biggest trophys in its history.

I question the mindset of those "fans" who don't seem that bothered we could cock up one of our biggest chances ever to bring to the club something we might not get the chance to win again.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Or maybe it's a bunch of fans that support a club that doesn't have a cabinet full of silverware and are desperate to win one of its biggest trophys in its history.

I question the mindset of those "fans" who don't seem that bothered we could cock up one of our biggest chances ever to bring to the club something we might not get the chance to win again.

This.

I don't understand this ides that supporting your club is a binary equation. It is possible to be happy overall and disappointed at one performance.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It seems everyone has turned into Norwich fans. This is exactly what they used to say about CH and his slightly conservative tactics.

Yet he has played two wide men and two strikers for most of the past two seasons and not got many things wrong. Better to mess it up slightly now than at the beginning of next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I get the complaints about Skalak starting it has to be said that March was just as ineffective when he came on. Not sure it would have made any difference at all if we'd started with him. Too many key players let themselves and us down yesterday. Not sure I'd level the blame at Hughton.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It wasn't Skalak and it wasn't the manager's tactics.

Too many player's intensity has dropped. This can't be coached, team talked, it has to come from the players, and sometimes when it drops, it's impossible to get back, an unquantifiable component.

Kayal and Hamed most notibly off the pace yesterday, closely followed by Knockeart and Skalak. Bong next whose decision as the full back not to close down the crosser cost us the goal, Hunemier looked completely overawed by the occasion. Agree with others, Murray, Stephens, Dunk, Stockdale demonstrated they are an essential spine to this team, and played well while others around them faltered.

We've had some desperately disappointing final games at the Amex over recent years, I was reasonably content this disappointment has a promotion and a game to go to fall back on. We'll draw at Villa and Barnsley will hold the Geordies!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The moment Skalak's name was announced I knew we'd get this usual scapegoating. (Good to see Bong getting some action too)

Solly has been comparatively poor in all his starts since his performance as a substitute v Leeds.
He may well have not bothered to play v Norwich.

But no once again Solly is the hero Jiri the villain.

agree with all above and can't get this we're premier league that's all that matters stuff... I like everyone else want us to win every game hate it when we lose and would loved to win the title. Yes we still can but it's gonna be tough next week and yesterday was best chance to win it and only 4 players showed up the rest had off day either that or aren't gonna be good enough for premier league

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I have a theory. CH deliberately put out a substandard side, played down the importance of the event to the players, made sure they didn't try too hard, thus throwing away the game. This was to make sure that the Amex crowd got a taste of what we're likely to have to endure on a regular basis next season in the PL, also weeding out some of those glory seeking bandwagon jumpers. It's pre-pre-season planning. Very clever.

Next week at Villa, he and the players will demonstrate with some aplomb that they didn't really mean it, by putting in the performance of their lives in front of their adoring, all forgiving NON-PLASTIC fans, and winning that shiny trophy. Everyone else will be able to see them wave it about during the parade the following weekend.

Hope that makes everyone feel a bit better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a theory. CH deliberately put out a substandard side, played down the importance of the event to the players, made sure they didn't try too hard, thus throwing away the game. This was to make sure that the Amex crowd got a taste of what we're likely to have to endure on a regular basis next season in the PL, also weeding out some of those glory seeking bandwagon jumpers. It's pre-pre-season planning. Very clever.

Next week at Villa, he and the players will demonstrate with some aplomb that they didn't really mean it, by putting in the performance of their lives in front of their adoring, all forgiving NON-PLASTIC fans, and winning that shiny trophy. Everyone else will be able to see them wave it about during the parade the following weekend.

Hope that makes everyone feel a bit better.

They played so badly to stop a pitch invasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here