Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post match Rafa interview

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was half expecting him to say in a Spanish (Kevin Keegan stylee) accent;

"I werd lurve it if Brighton losed, I werd absolutely lurve it. Crees Hutton I hope you hear me."

Sadly he didn't and I'm (nearly) going to bed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Rafa doesn't seem a bad bloke and has no problem recognising Chris' achievements.
I think he will keep Newcastle up and then move to pastures greener after another season.
I also think that if Chris manages to keep us up and in a half decent position, it will be hard to keep a hold of him.
Let's face it, if a major big hitting team came in determined to prise away, there is little we could do about it.
It is a career move after all and I would wish him all the best.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Rafa doesn't seem a bad bloke and has no problem recognising Chris' achievements.
I think he will keep Newcastle up and then move to pastures greener after another season.
I also think that if Chris manages to keep us up and in a half decent position, it will be hard to keep a hold of him.
Let's face it, if a major big hitting team came in determined to prise away, there is little we could do about it.

I would be genuinely surprised if Hughton left in those circumstances. He's been at a big club before and look at how the owner treated him. Look at how the owners of big clubs tend to treat most of their managers (with some notable exceptions). I think loyalty does matter to both TB and Hughton. I'm thinking it would need to be a big 6 club to tempt Hughton away, and even then it's 50/50 whether he goes.

Didn't someone report a conversation with his daughter (player awards dinner?) in which she talked about her father wanting to create a dynasty? I can easily see that sentiment being entirely true. Hughton is perfect for Bloom; Bloom is perfect for Hughton. That's pretty rare in football; a fact not lost on either man. All imo, ofc

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And again we wake upto headlines like "Newcastle close in on title"

Hang on should it not be at best

"Newcastle close in on Championship leaders Brighton"

Typical love in with "big" clubs and the fat Spanish waiter

#justonewinawayfromshuttingthosemuppetsup

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I get the impression that it is not the move he would want. I thought it was interesting that in the Guardian interview he said that he had been doing a course in corporate governance.

“I was delighted to do it – even if it impinged a little on my job here. It’s a 10-month course and I had three months to do after I got this job. So it overlapped but I was really pleased. The course is about getting more diversity in the boardroom – and learning about boardroom structures and how they’re run. It was very interesting but tough. I have a thirst for knowledge because you’re always trying to have the best relationship with the directors. I also won’t always be a manager. It might open up another future pathway.”

He is 58 now so if he wants to move beyond management then he will have to do so in the next few years. Wouldn't surprise me if he became chief executive of the LMA or had a role in Sport England or something like that. Maybe he could become an MP...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I'd be more worried hughton getting offered the England job rather than one of the big clubs

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'd be more worried hughton getting offered the England job rather than one of the big clubs

You wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy. You wouldn't want to see CH coming to the same sticky end that the great Graham Taylor did.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Didn't someone report a conversation with his daughter (player awards dinner?) in which she talked about her father wanting to create a dynasty? I can easily see that sentiment being entirely true. Hughton is perfect for Bloom; Bloom is perfect for Hughton. That's pretty rare in football; a fact not lost on either man. All imo, ofc

That was me, I spoke to her after full time in the Derby v Huddersfield game on Easter Monday and she did use the word 'dynasty' in what she hoped he would do here and that she also thought he wouldn't be interested in international football management in the future as well, when I suggested the Republic of Ireland job as a possibility in a few years as well. They're a football family, so they know better than anyone how this crazy game works and they know they're part of something special and rare here, in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When did we get so freakin needy?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Who are the 'big' clubs? Top 7 in the PL I guess from Everton up. So who would have CH? Spurs (homecoming) & Everton, all the others would go for a foreigner every time.
England? Give him a few seasons to establish Albion in the top league and he may well be. 2018 has a world cup and could see the England manager sacked again but probably 2020 is more likely to see a new manager and by then CH would have had three seasons to really put his name forward. BUT he could also have the Albion in Europe and may prefer to stay.

On the other hand we could be bottom at Christmas......

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In my judgement Tony Bloom will never sack Chris.

If results, at whatever time in the future dictate that we need to take a different path, then Chris being the honourable man that he is will tender his resignation. It will be a mutually agreed parting.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
[
England? Give him a few seasons to establish Albion in the top league and he may well be. 2018 has a world cup and could see the England manager sacked again but probably 2020 is more likely to see a new manager and by then CH would have had three seasons to really put his name forward. BUT he could also have the Albion in Europe and may prefer to stay.

With a bit of luck we get drawn against Bayer Leverkusen :ffsparr:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here