Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adding quality for next season - your thoughts

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I've been hearing Chris Hughton say that he does not want wholesale changes next year but wants to build on quality in certain areas.

As far as I see things I think priorities would be left back, central midfield, a striker and an attacking midfielder/another winger. This, of course, also assumes that we can retain Stockdale and Stephens.

Cairney has been talked about by some on here - and agree he looks impressive and would seem to add quality in terms of moving the ball forward/dictating play - but also think that Kayal pre-injury was at that level, albeit without the goals. Abraham as a loan option also seems attractive. But neither have recent Premier League experience.

I just wondered what others thought in terms of 'quality' additions, both in terms of personnel and positions. No doubt there are many players on the club's radar at this stage, but wondered what you think. Just a bit of fun, but punt around realistic options...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As much as it pains me to say it, I would add a right-back to your list. Unfortunately, being a Brighton fan rather than a football fan, I don;t really follow teams and players in the Premier League and across Europe so can't suggest any names other than signing Pocognoli permanently!

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Retain the following spine and add a few more and we'll be fine IMO

Stockdale
Duffy
Dunk
Stephens
Kayal
Knockeart
March
Murray

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I make it a £75m additional player budget for season one on wages and first instalments on transfer fees. TB, PB and CH are sensibly playing down expectations on signings. But I hope we use that money to sign or bring in on loan:

CB (4 needed in total until Goldson has fully recovered)
RB
LW
Midfield powerhouse
No.10 with pace and goals
Pacey striker
Target man

If Stephens or Stockdale leave, they'll need replacing too.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I make it a £75m additional player budget for season one on wages and first instalments on transfer fees. TB, PB and CH are sensibly playing down expectations on signings. But I hope we use that money to sign or bring in on loan:

CB (4 needed in total until Goldson has fully recovered)
RB
LW
Midfield powerhouse
No.10 with pace and goals
Pacey striker
Target man

If Stephens or Stockdale leave, they'll need replacing too.

If Stephens stays he will be making a dent in that.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Spend 75% of budget on 2 quality strikers. You can get the others on free transfers,loans etc. Good strikers to play and score regularly in the Premiership will cost serious money!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If we keep what we've got than all we need is another Baldock type striker (stunning observation). Other than that, if we can bring in 3-4 players who are improvements on what we have, that'll do

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
True. Along with huge pay rises for any other key players retained for the PL first team.

A wage rise from £12,000 to say £35,000 per week, with employers national insurance, would cost the club £1.36m per annum per player.

Slightly less if you're Newcastle or West Ham. ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nowhere near good enough for the prem, nailed on fact.

I think that too, but we're not going to replace 12 players in one window. Unless say a Championship club comes in with a good offer for him, he's likely to stay. If Barnes, Vokes (once laughed at by us) and S.Cook can do a PL job, perhaps Hemed can as a back up.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
A prem quality No.10 is a absolute necessity and probably a back up winger for AK & Solly. Could probably make do with what we have in defence and centre midfield if don't lose Stephens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here