Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So, it begins...

At a social event last night and a fella I know relatively well (but not exactly best mates) sidles over with a smug grin and says "two easy wins for us next season then eh?"

He has never spoken about football to me before, and I eventually figure out that he is a Man United fan (of course he is, the thick sussex accent gives it away).

It further transpires that he has never seen United play live, nor knew where they were in the table, yet was "well up for popping along when United play at the Amex, to watch us thrash your lot".

Have you experienced this sort of prickery yet? You probably will.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Got a linkedin message first thing on Monday morning from an ex employee saying "easy 6 points next season". He's not a plastic but an actual Manc. Another mate of mine, Swansea lad is gutted they're going down, he has been saying we'd go up all season and would love the away day at Brighton

Mixed batch (depending on the affiliation I suppose)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The one I know didn't say anything due to the fact she is made of plastic. I don't even know what football team she supports?

I'm impressed with how many of you have managed to communicate with these things.

Last edited:

el punal

So, it begins...

At a social event last night and a fella I know relatively well (but not exactly best mates) sidles over with a smug grin and says "two easy wins for us next season then eh?"

He has never spoken about football to me before, and I eventually figure out that he is a Man United fan (of course he is, the thick sussex accent gives it away).

It further transpires that he has never seen United play live, nor knew where they were in the table, yet was "well up for popping along when United play at the Amex, to watch us thrash your lot".

Have you experienced this sort of prickery yet? You probably will.

I'll take this "prickery" all day long rather than the "you've choked again" failure to get promotion. Bring it on! :albion2:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Met an Arsenal STH last night who was unaware that Brighton were going to be in the "premiership" next season.

Not sure what to think about that...:shrug:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Seems to be a mix of smug prickery and happy to see a new face from those I've spoken to.

The divide appears to be; 'Big' club = smug, other clubs = welcome to the party (Palace likely excluded from that).

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Starting to feel quite glad that these tools haven't got a hope of purchasing tickets.

All I keep getting at the moment is how when their Prem team (who they've never seen live) turn up at the Amex to give our lot a thrashing will they be alright to get a ticket. I just tell them that I'm sure they won't have any trouble and it'll all be fine.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Starting to feel quite glad that these tools haven't got a hope of purchasing tickets.

Quite.
Already had a Man Utd supporting contact, who I know has never ever been remotely near Old Trafford, telling me that he expects me to provide him with two seats at the Amex, next season.
Its only just started folks. Brace yourselves. They will all be coming out of the woodwork, declaring their allegiances and desperate for tickets. Its how plastic fans operate. They are only interested when it suits them, when they suddenly find their nearest local team in the big time. It happened at Reading. As soon as locals knew they were certain to be going up, they all snapped up ST's like crazy. As soon as Reading got relegated, they all melted away again.
Fortunately, there is little chance of these types, snapping up tkts at the Amex.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Met an Arsenal STH last night who was unaware that Brighton were going to be in the "premiership" next season.

One of my sons at college is often met with the comment...." So what division are Brighton in, then? "

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Can we officially ban the use of ' Premiership ' on this forum. FFS....ITS ' PREMIER LEAGUE '.......I keep thinking people are talking about rugby, when they use the word ' Premiership ' Its far easier to use PL and be done with it.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
my ex boss - palace - was on Facebook on the evening of our promotion with the easy 6 point bollox.

i have a man utd friend who has two season - he, however, has invited me to Old Trafford for the away leg.

we seem to have an unusually large number of premier league plastics in Brighton - partly due to our history I guess and partly because the city attracts many people to live here from whatever shitty part of the country they originally hail from

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is this worse than those on my social media feeds who are celebrating 'our' fantastic promotion but who wouldn't support Brighton 20 years ago because they were 'rubbish' and going nowhere. Wankers!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can we officially ban the use of ' Premiership ' on this forum. FFS....ITS ' PREMIER LEAGUE '.......I keep thinking people are talking about rugby, when they use the word ' Premiership ' Its far easier to use PL and be done with it.

Does it really matter? I don't think you really think people are talking about rugby as nobody ever does.

Oct 25, 2003
Is this worse than those on my social media feeds who are celebrating 'our' fantastic promotion but who wouldn't support Brighton 20 years ago because they were 'rubbish' and going nowhere. Wankers!

agree- I've seen so many people who I went to school with who used to rip into me for supporting Brighton suddenly 'supporting' us

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I had a different angle. A feller I work with is a dyed in the wool ManU follower, despite being at least 3rd generation Brighton born, mainly because "all my family support United and Brighton are shit". He had a ST at the Amex for a couple of years but cancelled it because "they'll never go up".
Now he's whingeing that he cannot get it back (seemingly oblivious to the fact that someone else now sites where he used to) and "It ain't fair, they should be my seats".
Personally I hope he cannot get a ticket and has to watch us v ManU on the telly, the c*nt.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

These Brighton fans are our own plastics. When walking back through town in my stripes after a game I am often asked how "we" got on and who "we"were playing?

I always answer with imaginary opposition and the incorrect score. Then hope they have related this fictional outcome to someone who takes the p out of them for being so hopelessly wrong.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
All I keep getting at the moment is how when their Prem team (who they've never seen live) turn up at the Amex to give our lot a thrashing will they be alright to get a ticket. I just tell them that I'm sure they won't have any trouble and it'll all be fine.

Quite.
Already had a Man Utd supporting contact, who I know has never ever been remotely near Old Trafford, telling me that he expects me to provide him with two seats at the Amex, next season.
Its only just started folks. Brace yourselves. They will all be coming out of the woodwork, declaring their allegiances and desperate for tickets. Its how plastic fans operate. They are only interested when it suits them, when they suddenly find their nearest local team in the big time. It happened at Reading. As soon as locals knew they were certain to be going up, they all snapped up ST's like crazy. As soon as Reading got relegated, they all melted away again.
Fortunately, there is little chance of these types, snapping up tkts at the Amex.

This and this. I'm getting this a lot. Their ignorance of all things football leads them to believe that it is a simple matter for me to procure them tickets for their chance to to see the team they've supported "man and boy" for the first time ever. Twats.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have to remember that we have been a lower league team for the majority of our history, apart from occasional third/fourth division trophys. It's only since we have had the Amex and hovered at the top of the second tier/division that people have started to take notice of us...especially as sky seem to love us.

All you have to do is get the train to London on a weekend to see how many fans support London teams...in fact if you go back to school days, every kid had a first division team, like Manchester United and Chelsea and even when I first came down to brighton in the mid 70's, at falmer high, there were very few brighton fans and when people found out I had started to go to see brighton, most people thought I was mad and lots of lads I knew wanted me to go to London with them to see the London teams they followed.

It is a very difficult to square to circle with how many brighton fans abandoned the club after the goldstone and have now come back as we have been doing so well and will tell you that they are die hard fans, but didn't fancy gillingham and withdean....in fact if you listen to the amount of people who said they did go to gillingham, we must have had 10k every home game!

Actually at work I have had loads of people who are happy to see brighton in the prem and want to see us do well...very much like Bournemouth. In fact we are seen as a Bournemouth clone! One arsenal fan has offered his st if we can't get tickets at the emirates next season, which was very kind of him.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Quite.
Apart from those who took a gamble thios season.. I have seen 2 old work colleagues, one was a "geuine Chelsea fan..before the money came in" parading around the Amex post-Wigan in his Brighton shirt who have gambled on buying ST this year. All part of the circus I guess..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here