Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous Worldwide Now!!

So, I've just arrived in Koh Samui for a holiday, and on the way to the hotel, the driver asks where are we from?
Brighton, I said.
He said, Brighton are the Champions. They play very good football. Next year they're in the premier league!

Turns out, he knew everything about us. Our logo, where we play. How many years outside the top flight. Who our manager is. Who Anthony Knockaert is. Pretty much loves us.
We now have fans much much further afield. Also turns out we were a stable bet for those that like to gamble out here in Asia. Our driver reckons he won a fortune betting on us this season. He said (and his words) Brighton are a big club now.

So from nearly going out of the league 20 years ago, to world wide notoriety. Makes you proud to be an Albion fan!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So, I've just arrived in Koh Samui.Also turns out we were a stable bet for those that like to gamble out here in Asia. Our driver reckons he won a fortune betting on us this season. He said (and his words) Brighton are a big club now

Excellent stuff, perhaps he knows TB:wink:

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
So, I've just arrived in Koh Samui for a holiday, and on the way to the hotel, the driver asks where are we from?
Brighton, I said.
He said, Brighton are the Champions. They play very good football. Next year they're in the premier league!

Turns out, he knew everything about us. Our logo, where we play. How many years outside the top flight. Who our manager is. Who Anthony Knockaert is. Pretty much loves us.
We now have fans much much further afield. Also turns out we were a stable bet for those that like to gamble out here in Asia. Our driver reckons he won a fortune betting on us this season. He said (and his words) Brighton are a big club now.

So from nearly going out of the league 20 years ago, to world wide notoriety. Makes you proud to be an Albion fan!

Nice place Ko Samui, are you travelling around Thailand or just staying there? Heading to Bali on Friday (taking my shirt so will be interesting to see the reactions from locals out there too)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There were some people who knew us. I remember in 1999, when we were at the arse end of the league, getting a taxi in Israel. We started talking about football and as soon as I mentioned the Albion, the driver mentioned jacob Cohen and Moshe Gariani, he said he'd been following our fortunes ever since they went to play for us.

He must have been the only Albion follower in Israel ... bet we have a few more now.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Brighton, I said.

Hope you called him a plastic and just stared out the window in disgust ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Brighton, I said.

So it turns out a taxi Driver in Koh Samui knows more about Brighton and Hove Albion that all of the BBC 5 Live football correspondents combined.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got to say that my experience is that most people abroad haven't got a frigging clue who the Albion are, sadly.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
My old man goes to Thailand quite a lot, says that because the TV rights for the Premier League is so expensive, a lot of bars show championship football, he's met a few Thai's out there who follow Brighton even though they have no link to the club.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As I said in another thread, the highlights of the pitch celebrations were on the national news over here, so getting more recognition now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don't get it. Thais should follow their own clubs. But it's just easier to associate with already established 'glamour' so why put 150 years work into forming your own tradition and history when you can upload another cultures overnight.

Pathetic.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
On my honeymoon in Kenya nine years ago, the local tour leader announced to the coach that his friends support Man United, Liverpool etc.

"But not me," he said. "I support the great Brighton & Hove Albion!!"

My new wife LOVED that.

(I think he'd seen the 83 cup final)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My old man goes to Thailand quite a lot, says that because the TV rights for the Premier League is so expensive, a lot of bars show championship football, he's met a few Thai's out there who follow Brighton even though they have no link to the club.

I would counter that by saying a lot of those countries bars broadcast the Prem illegally. Have a mate lives in Laos and that's how he watches the games in the pubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton, I said.

Maybe his brother is one of The Ladyboys of Bangkok and likes the Brighton scene?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here